BCeagle

What ammo do you keep loaded for home defense.

Yellowshaker, thanks for bumping some of these old threads that are useful to newcomers like us. (I'm not particularly fond of the term "newbies." It sort of sounds like we should be wearing beanies with propellers on them.)

An LEO relative of mine told me when I was getting started that HP ammo is illegal in NJ. I guess that's not true? Now I'm afraid I'm going to have bad dreams where a BG intruder comes into my house, and when I pump a few rounds of range ammo into him, he'll laugh at me, and say, "That didn't hurt at all. It must have been range ammo. Did you think you were going to stop me with that crap?"

Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding 1,350 fp/s #: 90250

Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint 1,350 fps, 466 ft.lbs.

CCI Speer Gold Dot 124-grain 9MM +P 1,220 fps 410 ft.lbs.

Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense 12 gauge 2 3/4 1,250fps 2x4

Yellowshaker, thanks for bumping some of these old threads that are useful to newcomers like us. (I'm not particularly fond of the term "newbies." It sort of sounds like we should be wearing beanies with propellers on them.)

An LEO relative of mine told me when I was getting started that HP ammo is illegal in NJ. I guess that's not true? Now I'm afraid I'm going to have bad dreams where a BG intruder comes into my house, and when I pump a few rounds of range ammo into him, he'll laugh at me, and say, "That didn't hurt at all. It must have been range ammo. Did you think you were going to stop me with that crap?"

You can use HP ammo for your HD gun. It's a touchy subject, and if you ever have to use it, be ready for some blowback from a prosecuting attorney or that being thrown into the civil suit. "You had ammo that is MEANT to kill people faster!!" Honestly, my biggest suggestion, know what you're doing. Become proficient with the gun, and know the laws surrounding home defense first.....both of those can get you out of a sticky situation before effective ammo can.

I might not be popular in this forum for saying this, but this is how I feel about this...

Unless you have someone after you, or live in a crime ridden section of New Jersey, or fear for your family and children, its absolutely NOT worth it to have your firearms setup for home defense in New Jersey. Your life will be ruined financially

and mentally for the REST of your life, especially if you kill the intruder. If it was any other state BUT NJ, NY, CT, MASS or CA, I would say go for it, but

NOT in NJ.

My handguns will be for recreational, fun range shooting ONLY and stored unloaded in a locked small gun safe, bolted to my bedroom closet floor.

Just buy a nice wooden 36" baseball bat, and keep it under your bed!

• Like 1

I might not be popular in this forum for saying this, but this is how I feel about this...

Unless you have someone after you, or live in a crime ridden section of New Jersey, or fear for your family and children, its absolutely NOT worth it to have your firearms setup for home defense. You life will be ruined financially

and mentally for the REST of your life, especially if you kill the intruder.

My handguns will be for recreational, fun range shooting ONLY and stored unloaded in a locked small gun safe, blotted to my bedroom closet floor.

And when you're getting choked out with a telephone cord, you'll probably have a different opinion.

• Like 1

Unless you have someone after you, or live in a crime ridden section of New Jersey, or fear for your family and children, its absolutely NOT worth it to have your firearms setup for home defense in New Jersey. Your life will be ruined financially

and mentally for the REST of your life, especially if you kill the intruder. If it was any other state BUT NJ, NY, CT, MASS or CA, I would say go for it, but

NOT in NJ.

My handguns will be for recreational, fun range shooting ONLY and stored unloaded in a locked small gun safe, bolted to my bedroom closet floor.

why not just mess with airsoft then, it doesnt make sense to have a dangerous weapon that can take life only for fun. are you saying you would never use it for self defense if it came to that?

Does your neighbor have a sign on his front lawn?

• Like 1

I have heard so many different opinions on what is and what is not legal in this state. It seems that the more research I do, the more confused I become. If you own a gun legally and use it for range shooting and such, and that is ok, why would it not be ok to protect you life and family with it? If the guy is in your home in the middle of the night and gets shot, how exactly is that the fault of the gun owner? Isn't it the same as going into a lino's cage and then blaming the lion for getting mauled? Maybe if someone does break in, I will simply club them with the Mossberg...at least that will be a lesser charge than actually using the thing for its intended purpose.

I DO NOT want to ban guns..are you kidding me? I am just expressing my thoughts, thats all.

So you'd rather beat the guy to death with a Louisville slugger than to shoot him with some buckshot? I'm not understanding your logic.

Sadly, many shooters in NJ do the same thing.

Nevermind, I have to learn to keep my thoughts to myself....thanks guys!

Hopefully, I should have my FID and 2 permits from Robbinsville in hand by late June, so I will have plenty of time to go shopping!

Im taking an NRA class in early May down at South Jersey Shooting Club, with Guns for Hire.

Nevermind, I have to learn to keep my thoughts to myself....thanks guys!

Hopefully, I should have my FID and 2 permits from Robbinsville in hand by late June, so I will have plenty of time to go shopping!

Im taking an NRA class in early May down at South Jersey Shooting Club, with Guns for Hire.

That's a great group. First start or Basic?

We all need thick skins. First amendment and all that.

Rifleman,

Its the NRA FIRST STEP Pistol course. Guns for Hire introductory price for this course is just $85.00! Its 3 hours classroom, 1 hour range time.

They are offering this special price since they just joined South Jersey Shooting Club. Its down there in rural South Jersey, right outside the

Pine Barrens.....I nice relaxing ride from Mercer County!

I hope to make Range 14/Fort Dix my home range since its the closet to my home, and I think I would enjoy outdoor shooting more than indoor anyway.

NOT in NJ.

If you'd rather take your chances with a baseball bat than your chances with a jury then that's fine. I don't feel that way, but OK.

The only part that confuses me is that it seems like you think if you lived in a bad neighborhood it would be OK to shoot an intruder, but otherwise you better use a bat. I'm not getting that part.

Rifleman,

Its the NRA FIRST STEP Pistol course. Guns for Hire introductory price for this course is just $85.00! Its 3 hours classroom, 1 hour range time.

They are offering this special price since they just joined South Jersey Shooting Club. Its down there in rural South Jersey, right outside the

Pine Barrens.....I nice relaxing ride from Mercer County!

I hope to make Range 14/Fort Dix my home range since its the closet to my home, and I think I would enjoy outdoor shooting more than indoor anyway.

I took that class at their North location and enjoyed it. It was the first time firing the Gen4 G19. I needed the class certificate to apply to private ranges for membership and to apply for the FL non-resident permit.

NOT in NJ.

I'm sorry but....you're completely wrong. Deadly force is deadly force. You defend yourself with a bat, it's the same as defending yourself with a gun. Only difference is if you just injure an attacker with a bat, they will sue the crap out of you. With a gun, you shoot COM, hope that it takes out the threat, and hope that he doesn't have any family that cares enough about him to sue. Last time I checked, I can use my guns to protect myself from someone who intends to do me harm. I don't plan on letting some idiot on the internet with a baseball bat, or the state of NJ to tell me otherwise.

• Like 3

Exactly - why voluntarily put yourself in close arms reach of someone by using a baseball bat. You don't know how armed the assailant will be, with a knife, gun, tazer, pepper spray, hypodermic needle, etc. For your own safety, you should keep yourself at as far a distance as possible. I'm not trying to convince you or change your opinion, but I wanted to point out something that stood out to me on your judgement call. For me, I'll protect myself to the best of my ability, and since I'm not a whiz with a knife and i'm not a martial artist, I'll use my guns... which I know I can at least hit the broadside of a barn with.

• Like 3

Exactly - why voluntarily put yourself in close arms reach of someone by using a baseball bat. You don't know how armed the assailant will be, with a knife, gun, tazer, pepper spray, hypodermic needle, etc. For your own safety, you should keep yourself at as far a distance as possible. I'm not trying to convince you or change your opinion, but I wanted to point out something that stood out to me on your judgement call. For me, I'll protect myself to the best of my ability, and since I'm not a whiz with a knife and i'm not a martial artist, I'll use my guns... which I know I can at least hit the broadside of a barn with.

Couldn't have said it better....I'm far more proficient with a gun than I am with my hands. The hypodermic needle is a good example too.....you will heal from a punch, kick, and most of the times can heal from a stab.....it could potentially take much more to heal from what some crackhead has on his needle that he just stuck in your side. I think I'll pass on that.

Ok,

As I said guys, forget I even mentioned this. There is no right or wrong answer here. We all have your opinions, and I really want to stay polite, respectful or cordial to all the

members here. I am sure I will cross paths with some of you in the future if I really fall in love with this hobby/sport!

Since NJ has a firm history of upholding its "Castleless Doctrine" I wouldn't dream of defending myself against criminals breaking into my family's home.

But if I lived in a state in which my family had rights this is what I'd have set up in the safe that would be near by and opened at night for easy access:

XD40 Tactical - Remington Golden Saber 180g JHP, full clip, not armed.

Ruger LCP - Hornady Critical Defense .380 90g FTX, 6+1 and ready to go

I would also look into a 12g, if I could find a safe place to store it.

Also for if the world ends I would have some bonded GS JHP for the .45 ACP. Ya know, just in case my house is attacked by cars, tanks, etc. :lol:

My wife would have a baseball bat under her side of the bed since she doesn't like firearms.

But I live in NJ so this is all theoretical of course.

Is hornady critical defense legal for people that have a carry permit in NJ?

How many people here have a carry permit anyway?

Nevada has a population of ~2,700,000+100,000 illegals

and i think statewide they have issued 40000 plus permits.

I find it extremely hard to believe that. That would be a 1.5% issue rate.

If you take all of the shall issue states (40), and add the 4 "may issue" states that are really shall issue or shall issue in most counties, the national issue rate is around 5%, or about one out of twenty people. In PA, for example, the PSP reports indicate that one out of 16 people (6%) over the age of 21 has an active License to Carry Firearms. In some counties it's 1 out of 4 people.

I don't know much about Nevada, but your numbers make it sound like they have the lowest carry rate in America (present people not residing in America excluded). Just basing this on the averages, and the subgun competitions in Nevada, I don't know the state-by-state breakdown.