BCeagle

What ammo do you keep loaded for home defense.

Ok,

As I said guys, forget I even mentioned this. There is no right or wrong answer here. We all have your opinions, and I really want to stay polite, respectful or cordial to all the

members here. I am sure I will cross paths with some of you in the future if I really fall in love with this hobby/sport!

Sorry bro, there really is a wrong answer here. Leave the bats for softball, use the Mossberg for perpy. Plan and simple. Arm yourself with the firearm your most trusted with. Read my signature line as it just might save your life.

It's thinking like this that has gun owners in this state going backwards while other states are moving forward.

• Like 1

gunnarsport said:

Unless you have someone after you, or live in a crime ridden section of New Jersey, or fear for your family and children, its absolutely NOT worth it to have your firearms setup for home defense in New Jersey. Your life will be ruined financially

and mentally for the REST of your life, especially if you kill the intruder. If it was any other state BUT NJ, NY, CT, MASS or CA, I would say go for it, but

NOT in NJ.

stever said:

definitely....make him a sandwich...actually I'd do what Sen. Lautenberg would do--let my 24/7 armed guards take care of it.

nevermind :facepalm:

• Like 1

You probably won't know what weapon the intruder is carrying (gun/knife etc)..best bet if your married is to ask your wife/husband and children if they would want you to save their lives or just let the intruder have his way with them...sorry, I'd rather go to jail than bury my family..my family comes first before stupid politicians laws.

Agreed x10000

Ive got an alarm on my house (every window and door has a sensor on it). If that alarm goes off and someone still enters the house even with the damn siren blaring, you can be damn sure I aint grabbing a friggin bat.

ETA: To keep this thread on track this is what I keep in the 12ga

Centurianmultidefence.jpg

Unless you have someone after you, or live in a crime ridden section of New Jersey, or fear for your family and children, its absolutely NOT worth it to have your firearms setup for home defense in New Jersey.

I see and knew others would comment on this, I will just add one thing to think about, In the US there IS 1 home invasion per minute 24 hours a day., That's 1440 per day, 10080 per week, or 525600 per year. Now how long do you think they will keep hitting the crime ridden and trouble areas where there is less likely a chance of them getting anything of value. In reality they are getting out of their neighborhoods and going to more lucrative locations, which means nicer neighborhoods, might you be in one of these locations??

Just something to think about. Here is one more thing, a lot of alarm systems are getting harder and harder to circumvent so it's easier to break in while someone is home while it's less likely that the alarm is on. They can be in and out in under 5 minutes, plenty of time to get out of there before any help arrives, that and when that happens I would figure it would be more than one person breaking in, A Louisville slugger ain't what I have in mind as my best option to protect my family and myself, but as you said, to each there own.

Harry

I see and knew others would comment on this, I will just add one thing to think about, In the US there IS 1 home invasion per minute 24 hours a day., That's 1440 per day, 10080 per week, or 525600 per year. Now how long do you think they will keep hitting the crime ridden and trouble areas where there is less likely a chance of them getting anything of value. In reality they are getting out of their neighborhoods and going to more lucrative locations, which means nicer neighborhoods, might you be in one of these locations??

They already are. But, if we keep shooting them, they may decide to practice their trades elsewhere. Otherwise, natural selection will take over eventually and they will practice their trades elsewhere regardless of their inclinations.

Wow! Is there a length record for these forum topics?? Are we setting one now??

Non answer - by the time the cops get to your house your family is already raped and killed.

Answer - Federal Hydra Shok 40SW

Over & out.

I find it extremely hard to believe that. That would be a 1.5% issue rate.

If you take all of the shall issue states (40), and add the 4 "may issue" states that are really shall issue or shall issue in most counties, the national issue rate is around 5%, or about one out of twenty people. In PA, for example, the PSP reports indicate that one out of 16 people (6%) over the age of 21 has an active License to Carry Firearms. In some counties it's 1 out of 4 people.

I don't know much about Nevada, but your numbers make it sound like they have the lowest carry rate in America (present people not residing in America excluded). Just basing this on the averages, and the subgun competitions in Nevada, I don't know the state-by-state breakdown.

Clark county is the most populated most people here are from california(and many other states) and are liberals.

I'm not shure if that includes non residents CCW also, but there are a bunch of them also.

zombie thread lol this is what i have waiting for them when they walk in

buckshot in the tube and slugs on the side, its as simple as this, If they here me rack my shotgun and they dont leave than i gave them far more than enough warning and any action taken after that is reasonable, because a shotgun racking in the dead of night is friggen loud

0319012323a.jpg

I have not yet obtained any specific ammo for home defense. Would those with more knowledge than I have think that .40 S&W target ammo would have sufficient stopping power to neutralize the threat of an invader? As people have noted on other threads, whether the BG lives or dies is immaterial to whether or not one would come under legal scrutiny. Someone noted elsewhere that if you use HP ammo, a prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney would be likely to ask, "Isn't it true Old Glock guy that you used bullets specifically designed to kill or cause maximum damage?"

In truth, if it ever came to that, I would probably feel better if the perp lived. But if threatened, I would still shoot at COM. Just wondering if target ammo would be enough to get the job done, while giving the BG a fighting chance to survive.

If you hit in a proper location, you can stop the threat. However, the chances are much better with HP ammo. Just go out and grab a box of Hornady Critical Defense or Federal EFMJ. However, if you have regular HP ammo, your response to the "designed to kill" question would be "I have the gun and the ammo for self defense. The ammunition I had loaded had the best chance of defending myself and my loved ones from the threat of someone who was trying to murder me."

I have not yet obtained any specific ammo for home defense. Would those with more knowledge than I have think that .40 S&W target ammo would have sufficient stopping power to neutralize the threat of an invader? As people have noted on other threads, whether the BG lives or dies is immaterial to whether or not one would come under legal scrutiny. Someone noted elsewhere that if you use HP ammo, a prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney would be likely to ask, "Isn't it true Old Glock guy that you used bullets specifically designed to kill or cause maximum damage?"

In truth, if it ever came to that, I would probably feel better if the perp lived. But if threatened, I would still shoot at COM. Just wondering if target ammo would be enough to get the job done, while giving the BG a fighting chance to survive.

Just for what it's worth, a case that boils down to the type of ammunition you used is a loser for the prosecution. To get there, they have to concede that you were legally entitled to use lethal force to stop the threat. Lethal force is lethal force. Either you can use it or you cannot. There are no varying degrees of lethal force.

Will range ammo kill a bad guy? Definitely. If someone is wearing multiple layers of heavy clothing, it is possible that it would work better than a hollow point that may get "clogged" and not penetrate far enough.

The bottom line is you're better off hitting center mass with cheap range ammo than missing with super perp shredder +p. It's about the indian, not the arrow.

The issue of a clogging HP isnt a lack of penetration, its a lack of expansion. A clogged HP will act as a FMJ.

It was all of the above. The "clogging" caused the round to perform poorly...sometimes ballooning out one side, sometimes rolling, spalling all sort of different things.

That's one of the easiest arguments to turn around. You didn't get the ammo in order to be more effective at killing, you got the ammo because you knew that FMJ can easily over-penetrate. You were concerned that over-penetration could potentially injure family members or even neighbors. Also just as Glenn has stated.....if the case actually gets down to scrutiny of the ammo used, the prosecution has probably already lost. The REAL concern with defending yourself in your home is knowing when you can and cannot defend yourself in your home.

• Like 1

Plus I don't think any prosecutor has ever asked that question. All bullets are designed to kill so a decent lawyer would make him look like a fool. There seems to be a shortage of bullets made from cheese one could have used.

This. I've had NJ LEO's tell me candidly that it does not matter what you shoot an intruder with. They also asked if I had ever heard of a homeowner in NJ being prosecuted for shooting an intruder, because they hadn't.

This. I've had NJ LEO's tell me candidly that it does not matter what you shoot an intruder with. They also asked if I had ever heard of a homeowner in NJ being prosecuted for shooting an intruder, because they hadn't.

I will say that I do sort of suspect that the frequency with which such scenarios are spoken of is due largely to how much outrage the knowledge that people have been pursecuted for proteting themselves causes us and not necessarily a function of it being a particularly likely outcome of statistically uncommon encounters where an intruder does not flee or surrender when confronted by an armed presence and forces a homeowner to shoot them.*

That said, the potential damages one suffers in the unlikely event they become one of the unlucky ones that gets steam rolled by a biased prosecuter/media-spin are significant enough that its probably not paranoia to at least consider it when evaluating the what & how of keeping yourself, your family and your home safe.

*This would exclude violent encounters where the homeowners bring misfortune upon themselves with drug related activity or invovlement with gangs of course, as gunfights for such individuals probably just means it must be Tuesday.

That said, the potential damages one suffers in the unlikely event they become one of the unlucky ones that gets steam rolled by a biased prosecuter/media-spin are significant enough that its probably not paranoia to at least consider it when evaluating the what & how of keeping yourself, your family and your home safe.

I watch a lot of "48 hours" and "ID Channel" shows that recount instances of people being railroaded by an overzealous prosecution. 9 times out of 10 it is the people who unknowingly incriminate themselves by talking to the police without a lawyer present. Generally if you say anything other than "I defended myself against a threat" without your lawyer there you are just asking for trouble.

I will say that I do sort of suspect that the frequency with which such scenarios are spoken of is due largely to how much outrage the knowledge that people have been pursecuted for proteting themselves causes us and not necessarily a function of it being a particularly likely outcome of statistically uncommon encounters where an intruder does not flee or surrender when confronted by an armed presence and forces a homeowner to shoot them.*

I had to read this run-on sentence three or four times before I even understood what you were trying to say. There are so many filler words in here, and it detracts from the point you are trying to make. I'm really not trying to be a dick. Your vocabulary is great, you know what the words mean.....but you use WAY TOO MANY words dude. You can easily get your point across with less than half of what you have written, and it will make MORE sense.

• Like 1

I had to read this run-on sentence three or four times before I even understood what you were trying to say. There are so many filler words in here, and it detracts from the point you are trying to make. I'm really not trying to be a dick. Your vocabulary is great, you know what the words mean.....but you use WAY TOO MANY words dude. You can easily get your point across with less than half of what you have written, and it will make MORE sense.

Unfortunately, it's sort of a life long habbit I got from my mother.

Most parents: I'm not stopping on the way there, so go use the bathroom now.

My Mother: "It would behoove you to make use of the facilities prior to our departure as we are under considerable time constraints and will not be able to make any stops once en route." - Word for word actual quote from when I was 8

I don't do it intentionally. It's just how my words tend to come out. When I'm writing reports for work and things like that, I do add a proofreading step to go back and clean it up. Forum posts, I don't always bother and I sometimes end up with something of a mess instead of a coherent point. It is what it is.