BCeagle

What ammo do you keep loaded for home defense.

For those who are serious about not keeping a firearm loaded or easily loaded and obtainable, I say this:

It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Don't know who said it but I think it means so much.

With the kids in the house I feel more comfortable keeping a loaded HK in a gun safe in the night stand, then a shotgun out. I wish it was possible to buy a non lethal load for a handgun that worked like they have for a shotugun but I havent seen one. (all this is only because of the kids)

For those who are serious about not keeping a firearm loaded or easily loaded and obtainable, I say this:

It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6

Don't know who said it but I think it means so much.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forums/viewt ... f=15&t=655

whachu talken bout chad?

Dude, that was yesterday,....you expect me to remember back that far??? I think the point I was making is that I didn't want you to think I was serious about not keeping ammo/guns for HD. :p

Oohhh, I'm a little slow chad. I took the short yellow bus to school so dont mind me.

I bring it up because most guys I know use some kind of jacket hollow point, but my buddy says he uses regular range ammo and thought it didnt make a difference since he lives in a home with no kids in deserted area and doesnt care about over penetrarion. On the flip side there are all the specialty ammo, RBCD, glazer etc.

What do you keep and why?

My guns are for target practice and sporting use only

For home defense we keep our sneakers near the bed so we can run away if someone enters our home uninvited

Very well said Tiny! I have my asics right by the bed. I even have a spare set of underwear in them in case I crap myself out of fear while running away as fast as I can.

I wish I could buy taser shotgun shells. Or just a regular taser.

You can buy non lethal bean bag loads for your shotgun.

Thing with that though is that I would think you would be opening yourself up for liability if you aren't properly trained in their usage.

They can still be deadly if used in an improper manner.

Why.

If a person has a shotgun in their home and has a justifiable reason for shooting someone who breaks in their home and is attacking them (for instance) and the person shoots, would they be liable becuase they had no formal shotgun training?

when using bean bag rounds as opposed to regular ammo

If a person has a shotgun in their home and has a justifiable reason for shooting someone who breaks in their home and is attacking them (for instance) and the person shoots, would they be liable becuase they had no formal shotgun training?

Here's something else to think about - If the person has a justifiable reason for shooting, why are they using a bean bag round? Would that not imply that lethal force was not necessary? And if lethal force isn't necessary, is the shooting justifiable?

Just playing devil's advocate... :twisted:

Here's something else to think about - If the person has a justifiable reason for shooting, why are they using a bean bag round? Would that not imply that lethal force was not necessary? And if lethal force isn't necessary, is the shooting justifiable?

Just playing devil's advocate... :twisted:

As was I.

If my life is in danger and I have no other choice but to pull the trigger, 00 Buckshot is coming out the barrel!

I used to have my HD shotguns loaded with the first shot as a bean bag round then the rest were 00 buck. Now its all 4 buck in the tube, some 00 buck and slugs on the side saddle. 4 Remington personal defense rounds in the speedfeed stock.

I have to ask you guys. In the event that someone comes into your home uninvited how could anyone feel that they are not in mortal danger? I don't understand how any law could be in place where it is considered OK for a criminal to enter a home and the homeowners have to hope that the police can respond in time to save your life. If they enter and have a weapon, the chances of being "rescued" are next to nothing. I would never want to use my firearm for anything aside from target shooting, but in life or death scenario, why shouldn't it be used to protect yourself?

Hornady Critical Defense

Federal "tactical" buckshot. Slugs on the side saddle.

My 9 has Critical Defense as well as my .380 and both are in the quick open safe on my nightstand, Little HS 410 behind the door in the closet with a trigger lock ready to go with 000 in it for the wife to keep with her and my daughter while secure in there. Here is one more thing in the closet that I did a few weeks ago, I have the fold down attic stairs, well I started thinking my bedroom already has solid core doors on them, and the closet is a walk-in, I always planned on my family going into the closet being it as far away and through 2 different door to get to. Well I added one thing, I hooked up a pull system that after you go up the pull down stairs into the attic, you can pull a rope, it folds the stairs up so you can finish closing the stairs up and hide up there. I figure who would even look up there in the first place.

Over the top, maybe, but it took me 5 minutes to do with some spare rope, if if ever need and used, it will be the best 5 minutes I ever spent.

Harry

The 38s carry Critical Defense and Gold Dots

The 9s carry Federal Hydra Shoks

The XD45 carries Hornady TAP

The Public Defender carries Winchester PDX1

The shotguns carry Remington Home Defense BB shot, Winchester PDX1 and assorted 00Buck