jersey_emt

(Out of home) firearms storage

I'm going to be obtaining my first guns soon, but my girlfriend (at the moment) is not too keen on keeping them in the house, even locked up. I'm getting her into shooting, and I see her becoming more and more comfortable with firearms, so eventually I don't think it will be a problem keeping them in the house.

But I don't want to upset her, so I was wondering what sort of options are available for out of home storage of firearms. As a NJ firearms permit holder, can I store firearms in a self-storage facility?

Or are there any ranges nearby (I'm from Woodbridge in Middlesex County) that have storage lockers?

I'm going to be obtaining my first guns soon, but my girlfriend (at the moment) is not too keen on keeping them in the house, even locked up. I'm getting her into shooting, and I see her becoming more and more comfortable with firearms, so eventually I don't think it will be a problem keeping them in the house.

But I don't want to upset her, so I was wondering what sort of options are available for out of home storage of firearms. As a NJ firearms permit holder, can I store firearms in a self-storage facility?

Or are there any ranges nearby (I'm from Woodbridge in Middlesex County) that have storage lockers?

Rays used to have them, but they are no more.

Why couldn't you just store them disassembled? Slide/Bolt Removed and Cable lock through the action. It's essentially the same thing. Plus free.

can I store firearms in a self-storage facility?

Every self storage facility I've ever been to says "no firearms or ammunition". The best way I think is to store them disassembled as has been suggested and locked up. She has to realize that the guns can't be fired when they are in pieces.

ps

Remember that a valid NJFID holder should only store there guns at there actual address that there driver license and NJFID card have on them.

I don't think that is correct. If it were not legal Ray's wouldn't have had the secure storage. I think they got out of it as it wasn't profitable. If you own a shore or mountain house it wopuld be legal to store them there also (not a good idea if you're not going there for a while).

Get a new girlfriend

was my first reaction, but the idea of getting to turn an anti-gun person into a pro-gun person is great! I personally look to the second amendment of the United States Constitution. when making final decisions on firearms. Do what you need to make her comfortable and keep yourself legal under the law of the United States though.

Yeah, I've already tried all the options like keeping it locked up, agreeing to not keep ammunition (just buy some when heading to the range), even storing disassembled, but as of right now, it's a no go.

She's just not comfortable with it being in the home as of right now. She has come with me to the range several times and rented and shot everything from a .22 LR handgun to a 12 gauge shotgun with 3" shells (and everything in between). So she's becoming more and more comfortable with firearms, but to keep things running smoothly between us, I'm trying to figure out if there are any options.

I don't doubt that in as soon as a few months from now she'll be comfortable enough with firearms to have them in the house. She just had never even touched a gun (in 30 years) until only a couple of months ago, and it's merely a matter of getting her more familiar with guns and be able to 'trust' them and know that they're not going to shoot by themselves.

Well like I said, she is just not comfortable with them in the house right now. I don't doubt that in 6 months from now (or less) she'll be comfortable enough with firearms to agree to keep them in the house. And yes, since it's my place, technically I can just say 'screw it, they're staying here whether you like it or not, and if you don't, there's the door'. But we've been dating for several years now, and I just want to know if there are any alternatives to keeping them in the house.

She enjoys shooting, and often asks me to take her to the range before I even say I want to go that day (I'm a member at Ready Aim Fire in Bristol, PA, and they allow one guest each visit, and all rentals are free...just need to pay for ammunition). So it really is just a matter of time. She's just getting over 30 years of indoctrination into believing that guns are evil, less than 6 months ago she was scared to even touch a loaded magazine.

If anyone knows of any options please let me know. If there aren't any options then I'll just deal with it. We have a very stable relationship so it's not like it's going to ruin things between us or anything if I keep them in the house after I pick up my handgun tomorrow evening. But of course I'd like to avoid having that fight if possible.

This is a fight that I can prevent if there are any out of home firearms storage solutions. We are honest with each other, which is why I am here asking for alternatives. Both of us said what we honestly felt about keeping guns in the house. Of course, I am all for it, but as explained above, she's just not ready for it yet.

I don't mean to be rude, but I asked if anybody knew of any way to store firearms away from home, not for relationship advice. If it's a range that gives members a storage locker or something similar, then I would pay to get a membership there. If there are self-storage facilities within 20 minutes of either Woodbridge (where I live) or Bristol, PA (where I have a range membership) that allow tenants to store firearms, then that could help me.

Again, this is just a temporary solution. Every day I see her becoming more familiar with firearms and showing more interest in shooting, so this really is simply a way to defer keeping handguns in the house until she is ready. Which will only be a couple of months as she is starting to really get into shooting. Just needs a little more time and experience with them, that's all.

I don't mean to be rude

we don't see it that way at all :D We just hope you don't think we are rude because we like to jabber on about anything and everything :mrgreen:

LOL ok :)

I picked up my new (used) handguns today -- a Sig P6 and a S&W 59. They were actually delivered to the local FFL on Saturday but I wasn't able to get there, and yesterday I couldn't pick them up because the holiday = no NICS. They're locked in the trunk of a car on the property that is not used (blown transmission....it's not moving anywhere). So.....if anybody can think of any options please let me know ASAP....otherwise I'm just going to have to bite the figurative bullet in a few days.

can I store firearms in a self-storage facility

As a commercial venue that was the site of frequent break-ins in my town it is a bad idea. We retrieved a SKS from one when the renter failed to pay the fees. The only problem he had was the fact it was modified into a non-NJ compliant rifle. Not really a big deal and not much came of it but if I can't keep it in my house of a dealers safe, I'm not doing it.

Years back the Paterson range has safes to rent on site. No idea if they is still available. Best bet is a safe in the home.

Well, I found a local self storage facility that allows firearms to be stored. No ammunition as that falls under the 'no explosives' policy, but unloaded firearms that are legally owned are OK. They said that there are a few other customers that have asked about storing firearms, so I guess this is a fairly common thing.

It's only $27 a month and the first two months are free (one month free is the standard deal, but found a coupon for the first two months free). It's 5' x 5', and there's enough space for some things I have lying around the house -- some furniture, several boxes of old books and magazines that I want to keep but don't need direct access to, etc.

So I think we're good to go! I'll still of course be getting her more familiar and comfortable with firearms with the goal of keeping guns at home in 6 months or less. I think it's an achievable goal, as only a few months ago she was so afraid of guns that she was terrified to even touch one, and now she enjoys going to the range and firing a few boxes of ammo.

1. Shore Shot in Lakewood has a good indoor range and they have many guns in storage. They may be waiting for permits or be a situation like yours.

2. Buy a very strong safe. You should have one anyway. When your storage locker lease is over, you can use it.

3. I would never leave firearms in a semi-public storage area.