DirtyDigz

Soft rifle/shotgun case that locks?

Neither of my cars have trunks, so that means I have to transport my firearms in a locked case.

I originally bought a metal rifle case similar to the one below:

yhst-58219122647713_2057_3134112

I like that it will hold my shotgun, beretta storm and pistol. However, at 53" long it barely fits in my car and is very awkward to carry, especially in tight places like the Bullet Hole when I'm also carrying an ammo box and range bag.

I'd like to get a soft case that I can sling over my shoulder or carry as a backpack, is at least long enough to hold my longest long gun (shotgun, 40"), ideally has two separate pockets (one for shotgun, one for storm) and, this is the key, is *LOCKABLE*.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks for the responses, can you be more specific as to what you have?

So basically if I can put a luggage lock through two opposing zipper pulls or between a zipper pull and a fabric loop on the bag that counts as locked?

For all intensive purposes yes. Unless you are traveling across state lines, you don't even need the case locked. Just securely closed. The line on the state police website is a recommendation, not the actual law.

There a thread on here somewhere (prob in the NJ law section) that quotes a couple bits of the law that pertain to locks and guns and vehicles and what not. If I remember correctly, all the references just say "locked" or "lock" and don't get more specific than that.

Like with everything in jersey, it seems to be purposely vague. So, you can interpret "lock" any way you want. I use same-key travel locks. Does that mean that's all I need? Who the hell knows. I feel comfortable enough with the travel locks tho, that I don't really give it much thought.

ETA: found the thread I was referring to viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2542

... you don't even need the case locked. Just securely closed. The line on the state police website is a recommendation, not the actual law.

Damn, you're right. I just went to the actual NJ statues and the relevant portion (2C:39-6g) says:

All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Nothing about having to be locked if not in the trunk, just "closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package"

I was still operating on what I first read at the State Police site when I was getting my handgun a year ago:

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

...If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

So...if I put my firearms in a paper bag and tied it with thread, does that count? :roll: