DevsAdvocate

Remington / Bushmaster / Magpul ACR

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009 ... -the-week/

Supposedly, the civilian version will be released at the end of the week. The rifle appears to be very NJ-Legal sans the presence of a flash hider. But from what I understand, much of the barrel specs are from the AR, so it may be possible to mount a muzzle break on the thing instead.

Definitely holding off on a new AR until more comes out on this thing.

I won't, but I won't put up a large monetary investment into ARs like I was planning. I will just modify the one I currently own.

I have it planned...

Immediate (this year):

-YHM Muzzle Break

-YHM hooded front flip-up sight

Intermediate (Next year):

-Magpul MOE handguards

-Rails for handguards and light.

Long term (3 years):

-Flip up BUIS (YHM)

-Magpul collapsible (yet pinned) stock

-Magpul grip with CR123 battery core insert

-EOTech (optional, not necessary, I might get tritium sights in lieu of this.

Hopefully, in 3 years, the ACR will have been out for some time in the civilian market, it will have been "beta-tested", and the kinks worked out of it. By then, my AR mod will be complete, and I can spend a year reserving funds for an ACR.

Im pretty certain that any rifle with 2 or more of the "evil features" counts as an assault rifle regardless of similarities to existing banned guns. If I am wrong I will happily concede as I want one of these so freaggin badly...

Send the firearm to ADCO, and have them remove the F/H and replace with a Muzzle Break.

well i really want one, i may even be willin to just shell out the money if it falls into my price range. i love the whole concept of barrel/caliber swapping with no tools!

It's quite amazing. I really hope the US Military gives it a hard look in the future, it appears to be an immense improvement over the AR platform.

The ACR is officially on the market from my understanding. The price is still quite outrageous (2600/3000), but one of the big things that people were QQing about has been addressed. The ACR will now come in 1x9 and 1x7 twist: http://www.bushmaster.com/acr/#/intro

If the price for the basic configuration can come down to around $2000, I might seriously consider getting one.

As far as I've seen, teh barrel is free-floated with no dedicated location for a bayo lug. Good riddance anyway, no real need for a bayo lug on combat rifles anymore. And yes, teh ACR accepts all AR mags.

I must assume that you were Army?

I was USMC, bayonet is still taught at the School Of Infantry.

Ah ok. Yea, they still teach bayonet as well (BLOOD MAKES THE GREEN GRASS GROW ;) ) during BCT... still have my bayonet proficiency badge somewhere. But these days, everyone is issued at least one knife (if not going downrange with a couple), and taught pretty intensive combatives (they changed to Brazilian ground fighting recently)... and if anything, more emphasis is put on using the rifle system as a bludgeoning device then a piercing one if need be.

I'm pretty psyched that the price on these went down to $2000 as quickly as they did. By the time I have the funds comfortably saved up for the ACR, hopefully the 1x7 barrel and spare internals will be available. I'm also hoping that the 18'' barrels and 6.8 barrels would be available by then (might be interesting to toy around with 6.8).

The kicker right now has to be the lack of accessibility to internals. I don't want a space-age poodle shooter to become a space-age club because something happens to the bolt ;)

The tri-rail that the Enhanced version is coming with would be nice, if it were longer IMO. With the accessibility/interchangeability of Magpul's MOE rail kits with the ACR basic handguards, the enhanced version almost doesn't seem like its worth the extra $200-300+.

The folding stock seems really nice, though, I can't complain about there being a compliant stock available (unlike the SCAR which might require some finesse-- without getting into the AWB debate again).

There is a vid up of a short torture test:

Also, for anybody who owns an basic ACR, what are the dimensions? I know the OAL is 37.3'', but what is the height and depth? Thanks in advance.

ETA: I also don't see the point of getting the Enhanced as we (NJ residents) can't leave the blackout flash hider on :(