Ruger11

New Jersey Firearms Guild in Rahway

I passed it once on my way up north. From the front it didn't look that big but looks can be deceiving.

I didn't have the time to stop and it was 5am so I doubt anyone would have been available to show me their stock !!! :mrgreen:

I have bought many of my long guns there, and also my Kimber and Buckmark. They seem to be just about overflowing right now. When I bought my Kimber they only had 3 or 4 left, but they have a whole case available right now, probably 15 different Kimber 1911 models. They added a rack of used guns in the middle of the showroom, and all the pistol cases and rifle racks are chock full.

They have a neat selection of Cooper varmint / benchrest-type rifles. Very expensive, but they come with a paper with three holes that are slightly larger than one hole to demonstrate how great they are. Next year when they have Cooper days with 10% off I might buy one.

Ammo has been in reasonable supply there lately, although they've been selling out of 45ACP quickly, and I think their price on 45 is a little high.

-Melg

Went there today,nice place,nice selection of pistols,helpful guys.Some really cool antique pistols.Had the gun l wanted,but they only had 1 and somebody put a deposit on it yesterday!!! Ammo wasn't bad $29 for a box of 100 9mm-but they will only sell you 100 rounds.

was just there tonight - as always, guys are very helpful. ammo prices are decent - 19$ for a box of 50 american eagle .40 fmj, although the 100rd cap is a bit annoying.

on my first trip there a few months ago, just to take a look, ending up walking out with my first shotgun, mainly because of the level of advice I received (think the salesman's name was Matt).

I purchased my first gun from them and had a good experience. Salesman was knowlegable and took the time to show and explain the features on the gun I was looking at.

Second time not so good. I was looking for a Sig 226 Elite. They did not have it, and could not get one. I asked the owner, if I got one on line how much the FFL paperwork would be.

"100+ NICS+ 7% tax on the full price of the gun". This would have wound up adding ~$200 more to transfer it in :(

I'll let my dollars do the talking and shop elsewhere.

I purchased my first gun from them and had a good experience. Salesman was knowlegable and took the time to show and explain the features on the gun I was looking at.

Second time not so good. I was looking for a Sig 226 Elite. They did not have it, and could not get one. I asked the owner, if I got one on line how much the FFL paperwork would be.

"100+ NICS+ 7% tax on the full price of the gun". This would have wound up adding ~$200 more to transfer it in :(

$100 is ridiculous for a transfer and charging tax on the the gun is unheard of, only the transfer and NICS. It's not their place to collect tax on a firearm purchased from someone else. They must be :teasing-smokingcrack:

thats INSANE!

$100 is ridiculous for a transfer and charging tax on the the gun is unheard of, only the transfer and NICS. It's not their place to collect tax on a firearm purchased from someone else. They must be :teasing-smokingcrack:

There's a small ffl by me who charges $20 plus sales tax on a transfer gun.

Would you be able to pass on the info?

I am close to you and wil lbe needing an inexpensive FFL to do a trasnfer.

Thanks.

Might want to clarify that with 20 + sales tax on the price of the gun which makes him almost as ridiculous.

actually, some places do insist on collecting the tax.

By law, you are taxed on out of state purchases when you file state income taxes. So, some shops take it on themselves to enforce that.

100+ for the transfer is high though. the highest I have seen is $50. I heard Caso's charged 100? to someone. dont know.

By law, you are taxed on out of state purchases when you file state income taxes. So, some shops take it on themselves to enforce that.

This would be fine, if:

1) You had bought the gun from the NJ FFL. You didn't so they have no business collecting sales tax. They, and any business, may not collect sales tax on things they didn't sell.

2) They actually submit the tax collected to NJ. I'd be willing to wager that they don;'t.

This is like if the Post Office collected sales tax on stuff they deliver to you. They didn't sell it, they have no idea if you paid sales tax or not, etc.

BTW, if the seller was a business that had some dealings within NJ and therefore was required to collect NJ sales tax, would these FFL's then not collect the tax twice?

I am a big fan of NJ Firearms Guild, but this practice is borderline fraud, and I don't think anyone should ever support it.

I purchased my henry survival rifle there. One guy was somewhat helpful, but did have the typical gun shop attitude. Seems the others did as well. They were the only place that had the gun I wanted and I am a need to have it now kind of guy, thats the only reason I made a purchase there. Prices seem high on used stuff.

I said I would provide further info and here it is. The transfer fee, as I said previously, is still $75 but if a gun is transferred that the Guild could have supplied you, the transfer would be $100. The tax is on the transfer fee as required by law, not the gun.

As far as their attitude is concerned, you should read the previous comments by people that have bought there. I hang out there and see a better attitude with customers than I've seen anywhere else.

just not my favorite place - tony who rents space there for his M1 garand business is A #1 -

As far as their attitude is concerned, you should read the previous comments by people that have bought there. I hang out there and see a better attitude with customers than I've seen anywhere else.

First and foremost, how's everything going John? I'm the younger fellow that you were speaking with last Wednesday. I ended up taking some of your advice and skipping out on the Beretta Px4 and went with a nice 9mm Glock 17 Gen 4 as my first purchase. I've yet to fire it, and decided to first get familiar with how to handle/take apart.

Getting into it, I know I brought this post back from the dead and its been quite a length of time since the last post. However, I've made two visits to the shop and can vouch that it's a stand up shop from the workers to the customers. Everyone I met, and I mean everyone was more than welcoming and took the time to greet me. I made my first firearm purchase here last week and Matt was the salesperson's name I believe (I apologize for forgetting I had just gotten done with a 12hr overnight shift and was exhausted.) I simply had to explain one time how I wasn't a professional by any means with handling guns, and nothing more had to be said. The salesperson broke everything down, explained it all to a "T" and made sure I felt comfortable with my potential purchase and had the new found knowledge of how to operate and maintain the firearm properly. For that I am grateful, and will undoubtedly continue to make each and every purchase from this shop. I appreciate their support and in turn they will mutually continue to have mine.