NJ609

New toy in the mail!

After my alarm@3AM incident I realized it would be valuable for me to have a nice bright flashlight mounted on my XD40. The tiny Maglight is great for when the power goes out but not so great when there's a threat in the house.

I ordered a SureFire X300 and will be installing it in the next week or so. Now I can see as I acquire targets in the dark as well as blind them for a peaceful resolution. Well, or so I hope!

Anyone have one of these and have any comments?

Good quality light.

I've read that you might want to practice with a hand held light as opposed to a weapon mounted light. A few different reasons presented, but I think the most convincing one is that you do not want to be covering your loved ones with the muzzle of your gun.

Good quality light.

I've read that you might want to practice with a hand held light as opposed to a weapon mounted light. A few different reasons presented, but I think the most convincing one is that you do not want to be covering your loved ones with the muzzle of your gun.

Or give the bad guy something to aim for.....

Good quality light.

Or give the bad guy something to aim for.....

As Clint Smith says, they'll know you are coming anyway. You need a flashlight to see what you are aiming at. The last thing you want is for a loved one to be walking out and you cant see them and shoot becasue you saw "something" move

its also imperative to know your target and whats behind it, if you can't see it, you can't know either of those.

just my 2 cents

I've thought about all that stuff.

This light is for my home. I'm not going to war with it. I absolutely need to know exactly what is in front of the gun. They know I'm coming, they are in MY house so they are going to hear me when I tell them to get the **** out.

So in this case I think mounted to the XD is the best option. We aren't talking about a protracted experience here. Rack slide, acquire target, decide what to do, hope for the best.

I can see how for a different tactical use I may want to hold it, learn how to use it and fire with one hand. But in this case the goal is for it to help me make the right decision in very limited circumstances.

I'm not saying that I fail to see the value in opposing methods though!

Great link, Mal!

I have weapon mounted lights (TLR-1) and hand helds (currently an SF E2D) within reach. In my particular case, I don't have to worry about sweeping someone when using the mounted light since it's just me and the woman in the house and she knows to either stay put or stay behind me. Obviously, not necessarily the case for someone with little kids in the house. Either way, it's good to understand techniques for both mounted and hand held lights.

OH - and excellent light choice 609!