yazamitaz

Hague's Shooting Range in Thorofare, NJ

Hey gang,

I have been a member of Hague's for a few years. It is only 15 min from Cherry Hill and is pretty clean. While the annual membership fee is high you can't beat the convenience. Recently when I have told people that I am a member there they roll their eyes or snicker. Is it because of the membership fee?? Some people have said they don't trust the place. I go there, buy targets and put holes in them and have a good time. What trust factor am I missing? I don't think I am naive but if anyone can elaborate I would appreciate it.

Dan

Considering the hourly rate of most indoor ranges, $350 for unlimited doesn't seem unreasonable if you shoot enough.

Discounts are a plus and if it's a good group of guys, the cost is well worth it.

My only issue is the 25 yard limitation. Not much you can do with rifles at that distance.

I say if you're happy, screw those guys that give you shit about it.

I went to AR-15.com and searched for Hague's or Eagle Eye and couldn't find anything. Probably searching in the wrong place. Anyway I don't buy guns there. Just recently purchased from Paul at Arms N Ammo so I try to keep it in the family :)

If people don't like the owner then who cares. I won't be inviting him over for Turkey Day Dinner. As long as I can use his place to pistol shoot indoors (especially on days like today) then that is fine.

I appreciate all of your feedback. Thanks Malsua, I like your attitude :)

I also belong to Range 14 at Fort Dix for rifle action.

I live very close to Hagues, and was a member of Eagle Eye for years. I no longer have anything to do with the place due to the attitude of the staff, non members must by ammo at Hauges to shoot, no reloads allowed, and high prices.

I also dislike their habit of spamming various gun boards with good reviews for themselves. This was a problem on AR15.com over the years with the same guy coming on and posting how great Hagues was every once in a while. I think he gave up over there after so many people responded negatively (I am not saying that is the case here ;) ).

Hey gang,

I have been a member of Hague's for a few years. It is only 15 min from Cherry Hill and is pretty clean. While the annual membership fee is high you can't beat the convenience. Recently when I have told people that I am a member there they roll their eyes or snicker. Is it because of the membership fee?? Some people have said they don't trust the place. I go there, buy targets and put holes in them and have a good time. What trust factor am I missing? I don't think I am naive but if anyone can elaborate I would appreciate it.

Dan

My Dad has a membership there and I think Nick, Kathy(?) and Joe (no longer there full time) are great. We got some really good deals on some used handguns and they have ALWAYS treated us fair. They never bother us when we go in the range.... actually, if they are a bit slow they'll come in and ask if we have any questions regarding shooting techniques, etc.

Now, the $350 membership is expensive....However, these people that say "wow, that ain't cheap you're getting ripped off"... I do not think they have checked range prices recently. All outdoor ranges in SJ are $300-$400 for a family membership, which I would need. Also, Hagues is the only indoor range that I know of (in my area) that you can use high powered rifles, shotguns and handguns. Also, the outdoor ranges are sun up to sun down....forget that!!! I work during the day and some nights I want to blow off some rounds.

The only thing I could think of, is some people have commented how they "carry" in the store and act "arrogant". I honestly don't see it. They have a good sense of humor, know their stuff and treat Noobs with respect instead of looking down on them. 20% off handgun ammo works OK as far as range prices go...$15 for a box of 9MM 147 or 124 Gr American Eagle.

...Maybe I'll see you there on the week nights.

You guys are too funny. That $350 per year is RIDICULOUS!!! I live in Delran, NJ and I have been to Hague's twice now. I can't complain about the people there, but if you go there without purchasing a membership; they really ride and hound you to get one.

If you are in this immediate area, it would be worth it for you to check out Delaware Valley Sportsman's Center which is right across the bridge in Philly. It only takes me 30 minutes to get there (35 minutes to get to Hague's) and the membership for the year is only $130 single/$180 Family.

You can shoot any ammo you want from shotguns and handguns. Their own ammo prices are a full $10 cheaper than Hague's. The AA .40 S&W at Hague's is $28 for a box of 50 and its still about $25 after you have your membership (only a 10% discount). At DVSC, its only $17 per box of 50. You can also shoot AR-style rifles as long as you purchase their Ballisticlean ammo which is still cheaper than any Hague's .223 ammo. Everything about that place is just super expensive. And when you are shooting they are all in your business...DVSC has a separate room from the shop which is totally blocked off. There is no supervisor of the range breathing down your neck. You can also holster inside their location. So far everytime I have been there, I am always able to shoot immediately. They also offer very good classes which I see many law enforcement guys taking in the back when I get there on Saturdays.

I wouldn't renew my membership at Hague's if I was you...Just too many negatives in my opinion. I'm not saying that my range is perfect, but it is definitely better than that laughable place. I will never go back there again.

Now, the $350 membership is expensive....However, these people that say "wow, that ain't cheap you're getting ripped off"... I do not think they have checked range prices recently. All outdoor ranges in SJ are $300-$400 for a family membership, which I would need...

20% off handgun ammo works OK as far as range prices go...$15 for a box of 9MM 147 or 124 Gr American Eagle.

You haven't checked South Jersey range prices recently yourself, have you? The Fort Dix outdoor membership for the whole family is only $100 and single for $60. Every single place in south jersey is cheaper to shoot than that place...Actually, I think they may just be the most expensive range in all of NJ.

Also, their prices are a lot more than just $15 a box of 50...I shot there two months ago, and even with 20% off, all of their 50 boxes were still over $20 each. There is really nothing good about that range. It was also HOT AS HELL in that range over the summer. AC must have been broken or something.

Everyone else who is in the area that doesn't have a membership at Hague's yet...JUST STAY AWAY!!!

Now, the $350 membership is expensive....However, these people that say "wow, that ain't cheap you're getting ripped off"... I do not think they have checked range prices recently. All outdoor ranges in SJ are $300-$400 for a family membership, which I would need...

20% off handgun ammo works OK as far as range prices go...$15 for a box of 9MM 147 or 124 Gr American Eagle.

You haven't checked South Jersey range prices recently yourself, have you? The Fort Dix outdoor membership for the whole family is only $100 and single for $60. Every single place in south jersey is cheaper to shoot than that place...Actually, I think they may just be the most expensive range in all of NJ.

Also, their prices are a lot more than just $15 a box of 50...I shot there two months ago, and even with 20% off, all of their 50 boxes were still over $20 each. There is really nothing good about that range. It was also HOT AS HELL in that range over the summer. AC must have been broken or something.

Everyone else who is in the area that doesn't have a membership at Hague's yet...JUST STAY AWAY!!!

Wow....chill out. First off, Fort Dix is about an hour from my house and can only go on Saturdays....I'll pay the fee. Second, I wanted to join Delran Jr. Marksmen but they are closed because a neighbor found a bullet on the roof...BS! That stinks because they are a great bunch of people. Telco, S.Jersey Sportsman, another range in Winslow are all about $300-$400 per year or more for a family and they are outdoors.

I am 12 minutes from Hauges and would be able to go 3 nights a week if I wanted. 9MM ammo is indeed $15 per box with the discount. Their ventilation is good. However, you are correct with their heating and cooling systems....cold in winter and warm in summer.

Now lets do the math. I join Hauges for $350 and bring my own ammo. I can bring a family member and shoot as much as I want. Ok, now you join your club for $180. Lets assume you go once a week or even 5 times a month...which is not out of the question. There is a fee you're forgetting about and that is the $4 bridge toll every time....which will be raised to $5 very soon. That is an extra $240-$300 per year that you're giving to this great government of ours!!! Add the $180 to the $240-$300 in tolls and it is $120-$180 more per year. Also, the extra gas for most people would add to the cost.

Now I am a firm believer in "to each his own" and the free market and right to choose. Let the people decide what is best for them. I looked at the club you mentioned and it looks nice...just wish it were closer as I would join in a second!! Cheers...

Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the input. I do go to Fort Dix when the Marine in me wants to bust out the .308 and the Bushmaster at 200 yds, but when I want to shoot pistol (which is mostly at night since I do work) Hagues works. I don't think the price is all that bad when you break it down over a year. Not even $30/mo and if I bring my dad (which I usually do) he shoots free. I have never had an issue with the staff there. In fact I have gone there with my wife and have had the whole place to ourselves. I go there, buy targets, put holes in said targets, pay, and then leave.

I have to agree with Mike that from a cost standpoint driving all of creation with guns and ammo can be a pain.

Again I appreciate everyone's feedback

...I am 12 minutes from Hauges and would be able to go 3 nights a week if I wanted. 9MM ammo is indeed $15 per box with the discount. Their ventilation is good. However, you are correct with their heating and cooling systems....cold in winter and warm in summer.

Now lets do the math. I join Hauges for $350 and bring my own ammo. I can bring a family member and shoot as much as I want. Ok, now you join your club for $180. Lets assume you go once a week or even 5 times a month...which is not out of the question. There is a fee you're forgetting about and that is the $4 bridge toll every time....which will be raised to $5 very soon. That is an extra $240-$300 per year that you're giving to this great government of ours!!! Add the $180 to the $240-$300 in tolls and it is $120-$180 more per year. Also, the extra gas for most people would add to the cost.

Now I am a firm believer in "to each his own" and the free market and right to choose. Let the people decide what is best for them. I looked at the club you mentioned and it looks nice...just wish it were closer as I would join in a second!! Cheers...

OK, where do I begin...I only have the $130 single membership, and I am allowed to bring one guest for free everytime I go (so wife shoots for free all the time). The .40 S&W ammo at Hagues in American Eagle IS $25 WITH DISCOUNT! I don't shoot 9mm... The distance between my house and Hague's is actually more than going across the bridge...Meaning I would spend more on Gas going to Hague's. I shoot about once a week meaning I would pay about $200 for the year on tolls. That would bring me up to $330 which is STILL cheaper than Hauges...And I wouldn't have to put up with being hot as hell in the summer and cold as hell in the winter...I can also shoot any type of ammo I want in my guns so I don't have to buy anything from the range, but their prices on ammo are so good that its an added plus. I also wouldn't have the people at Hague's paying attention to my every move while I am in the Range (which is Priceless in my opinion). I guess if you are close to Hague's it may be beneficial, but the person who started this thread wanted to know why people don't like the place, so I just gave some personal experience advice that I believe MOST of NJ people should follow...But Like you said, to each his own. Everyone can't get it right...otherwise there would be no wrong!

hague's isn't that bad. The shop and range for one are beautiful. The staff are cool and knowledgeable. They always seem to have the "latest" gotta have it doodads. His memberships are high yes, and they are a HUGE pressure shop. I just get pissed that they don't give a renew discount to members with an already high rate. That, i would like to see them upgrade to actually real gunsmith status and not gun tinkerers.

I bought my first gun there. A glock 19. The range is beautiful and well ventilated. I felt the high pressure sales pitch because the saleman knew I had a second PP.

So it turns out that the front night sight on my glock was smashed and no glowing. I brought it back to Hagues the day after I bought it and they told me all they could do was send the slide to Glock. I feel like they should have replaced the front sight for me for free.

Thinking back on it I feel like the glock box was not opened in front of me. That got me thinking. I buy all my guns know from Paul and arms and ammo

As for a range, how long does it take the OP to get over the walt whitman bridge? The Firing Line 1532 S Front St

Philadelphia, PA 19147-5518

(215) 336-1710

charges 100 a year for membership and while you must buy your ammo (18.75 for 9mm) from them there is no charge for basic targets. Non members pay a flat fee of 15 bucks to get on the range. No time limit. It is not a pretty as hagues but after the way hagues treated me with my first gun purchase I don't think I will go back there.

I live in Cherry Hill and have stopped in at Hagues often. I won't anymore.

I resent their membership policies and the rule that you must buy their ammo if you are not a member. Sorry, but that is BS.

I think their guns are way overpriced and apparently non negotiable as I found out when I asked about the $440 price on pre-unloved S&W 5906 trade in.

Their ammo, new handgun, rifle and accessory prices are just obnoxious.

Now let me tell you about the gun store commando's they hire there. I would be hard pressed to find a more uneducated, ignorant, brand biased bunch of idots in the state, and there are a bunch in NJ, ask me about stores in the Hamilton Nj area.

Sorry the place sucks. If you would like I will take you Square Circle in Gibbsboro, near Voorhees. Memberships are $225 a year, outdoor handgun, rifle, archery and trap. Indoor handgun or .22 rifle. 6 acres lake with a large clubhouse. No limitations on ammo, bring your own and your own targets.

Drop me a line.

...I am 12 minutes from Hauges and would be able to go 3 nights a week if I wanted. 9MM ammo is indeed $15 per box with the discount. Their ventilation is good. However, you are correct with their heating and cooling systems....cold in winter and warm in summer.

OK, where do I begin...I only have the $130 single membership, and I am allowed to bring one guest for free everytime I go (so wife shoots for free all the time). The .40 S&W ammo at Hagues in American Eagle IS $25 WITH DISCOUNT! I don't shoot 9mm... The distance between my house and Hague's is actually more than going across the bridge...Meaning I would spend more on Gas going to Hague's. I shoot about once a week meaning I would pay about $200 for the year on tolls. That would bring me up to $330 which is STILL cheaper than Hauges...And I wouldn't have to put up with being hot as hell in the summer and cold as hell in the winter...I can also shoot any type of ammo I want in my guns so I don't have to buy anything from the range, but their prices on ammo are so good that its an added plus. I also wouldn't have the people at Hague's paying attention to my every move while I am in the Range (which is Priceless in my opinion). I guess if you are close to Hague's it may be beneficial, but the person who started this thread wanted to know why people don't like the place, so I just gave some personal experience advice that I believe MOST of NJ people should follow...But Like you said, to each his own. Everyone can't get it right...otherwise there would be no wrong!

I don't know what I was thinking! The bridge from NJ to PA is only $2 (Palmyra). So that would mean that my place is cheaper than Hague's by over $100 per year without even mentioning gas and time savings. I've been shooting there for a month now and I couldn't be happier with all my experiences. I still get to shoot ever time I walk in without waiting. Also, since it is in PA, I am allowed to holster while inside the facility. The renewal fee for each additional year is also only $100 while Hague's is still like $300.

My advice to everyone would be to just try every range out and see which one is best for you. I'm not going to say anything about Hague's anymore except see for yourself.

"Now let me tell you about the gun store commando's they hire there. I would be hard pressed to find a more uneducated, ignorant, brand biased bunch of idots in the state, and there are a bunch in NJ, ask me about stores in the Hamilton Nj area."

I don't know Nick, Dan and dave all seem pretty up to date with their firearms knowledge. Again, I just wish they would drop the high pressure and high prices. Its not like they are selling something nobody else has. Their membership and memership renewals have to come back to earth as well. Still, the facility itself has HUGE potential. Sadly, I hardly ever go there anymore because of the prices. Square circle sounds interesting. I now go to the hellhole known as harborsite usana. LOL!!! Place looks like they test bombs there. I joined because of the promise of big changes coming. A year later the place still looks like hell, with no long range to speak of. i may try cumberland county next.

Nick really pushes those Beretta 92's though... :lol:

I'm on the fence about them really. They're nice enough people in there, and I've never found them to be overly pushy, but I agree that their prices are starting to get a little out of line with the rest of the state and the rest of the country. I bought a few guns off of them when their prices were more reasonable, but the last 2 have been gunbroker.com purchases transferred through other dealers (Hague's charges >$100 for a transfer :doh: ).

I live 5 minutes from them, so if I had time to shoot more, it might be worth the money to join.

Nick really pushes those Beretta 92's though... :lol:

I'm on the fence about them really. They're nice enough people in there, and I've never found them to be overly pushy, but I agree that their prices are starting to get a little out of line with the rest of the state and the rest of the country. I bought a few guns off of them when their prices were more reasonable, but the last 2 have been gunbroker.com purchases transferred through other dealers (Hague's charges >$100 for a transfer :doh: ).

I live 5 minutes from them, so if I had time to shoot more, it might be worth the money to join.

I have never had a problem with them. They are the only indoor range that allows "high powered rifles" in my area so I really don't have much of a choice. As far as arrogance goes... Nick is a real good guy. I have shopped prices around and tell him. He'll usually match it or say he can't. I go with my dad and have hung out there for hours at times with nothing but good shooting and good conversation. Aside from the high cost to join they are no different than other indoor ranges I have been to.

I think $999 for a brand new Bushmaster "AR15" ain't out of line at all. However, some of their handgun prices are about $100 higher than others. I usually shop around anyway but over all find them pleasant to work with...

I want to try "Circle Square" as it seems nice. However, I think you need two member references and only can sign up twice a year? Is that correct? Seems like a nice place though.

that place is a rip off. fees, odd & ends. I was a member when it was Eagle Eye owned by Zimm's. Now they were a great bunch of people.

As an alternative indoor range, go to Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro. Easy to get to via Rt. 55, then to 322 to Delsea Drive. Good guys, reasonable fees. Always lots of good stuff behind the counter, knowledgeable people.

After 2 or 3 negative (rip off) experiences in Hagues, I will never go back there no matter how convenient.

I am a member of the Salem Co. Sportmens Club on Rt. 40 in Carney's Point. There is nothing like it in South Jersey... pistol, rifle, skeet, trap, air rifle, archery, archery walkthrough, lake for swimming, boating, picknicking, shelter pavilion for large gatherings, free campground, and access to the Salem River for power boating.

Clean, family oriented place. No mall ninjas (well, maybe a few once in a while at the pistol range). They run a tight ship but it is top shelf.

Cost is 157/year + one time fee of $300 for the building fund. There is a waiting list though, but worth the wait.

I'm getting back into shooting sports, and last weekend, I went to Hagues to shoot my new Colt MT6400.

I have been to Hagues previously to shoot my pistol, and foundtbe range was always clean, well kept, and pretty disciplined. I'm happy about that end of Hagues.

I wasn't happy about the cost of shooting there.

I 'get' the $350/year range fee....ok, I can stomach that as long as the range is nice. No waiting list to join, no 'work days' of some of the other ranges in SJ.....that makes the higher membership cost a little easier to swallow. To a degree, I 'get' the fact that non members have to buy/shoot thier ammo.

What absolutely shocked me was ammo prices. I paid $50/box (50 rounds) for Black Hills 5.56mm for my AR.

That's $1 per round. I can buy the same ammo on line at about $.31/round if I buy 1000 rounds.

I can buy it for about $.40/round if I buy in boxes of 50.

Even with the membership 'discount' of 10%, Hagues prices are still $.90/round.

I don't recall what .40 prices were the last time I bought it there, but I do remember it being high.

Outrageous.

I'm going to be shopping around for a good range in SJ, (I live in Stratford/Voorhees area),

I shoot pistol, rifle, shotgun....I would like to get into 'action' shooting type for rifle/pistol.

Anyone have any good recommendations for a range or action shooting events? I'm a newbie at action shooting, but no stranger to firearms, been shooting since I was 5, and ex-military.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

First of all, welcome to the group. I don't know how long you've been in the PRNJ, but being from Texas, the culture shock must be tough to deal with.

There are a few ranges that offer action and practical shooting events in the state. The go to guy for that here is Mike (Col. Mortimer). He's a big IDPA/USPSC guy, and knows all the upcoming schedules and events. I'm sure he'll chime in here eventually, or you can shoot him a quick PM.

As far as ranges, there are far more places to shoot in the southern tier of the state than there are up north where I am. Just browse through the threads. Every possible location has been discussed, and the advantages and disadvantages of each of them have been detailed.

Feel free to ask any questions you have. There's a wealth of knowledge and experience here, and we're all happy to share.

Ken

Ken,

Thanks, I appreciate the kind welcome.

Ive actually been here in NJ for 10 years, but its STILL a culture shock every day. I was stunned to learn the firearms laws for the PRNJ....it sure aint Texas, thats for sure!

I will take your advise and get in touch with Col. Mortimer, and get the skinny on match shooting. I have always wanted to get into that type of sport, but never knew where to begin.

Thanks again!

Jeff

I live very close to Hagues, and was a member of Eagle Eye for years. I no longer have anything to do with the place due to the attitude of the staff, non members must by ammo at Hauges to shoot, no reloads allowed, and high prices.

I also dislike their habit of spamming various gun boards with good reviews for themselves. This was a problem on AR15.com over the years with the same guy coming on and posting how great Hagues was every once in a while. I think he gave up over there after so many people responded negatively (I am not saying that is the case here ;) ).

You hit the nail on the head! I shot there for 2 years.Once the prices changed, the staff and renovations changed the whole shooting experience was crap! The prices are Obserd! The best thing I can say is its very neat,clean and snazzy in there. Other than that they can Suck It! I'll take an extra 30 min drive,flies,knats,sand and 200yrds at Range 14 over that Hagues experience anyday!

i have been a member a Hague's for a year now...i think the place is awesome. Great selection of firearms, competitive prices, so far not 1 problem with the staff...they even bend the rules every now and then to help me out when i bring a friend in with me and wants to try out handguns because he is looking to buy one. (they let me buy boxed ammo from them and rent as many handguns as i want all at 1 time), they have just about every cal of ammo there and it is also a competitive price (wish they had sales on it every once and while though)

Over all i think it is a fantastic range.

just my 2 cents :D

$999 for a WASR-10!!!
$50/box (50 rounds) for Black Hills 5.56mm for my AR
The .40 S&W ammo at Hagues in American Eagle IS $25 WITH DISCOUNT!

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh my god. There is no way these guys can possibly be serious!

Only in Jersey do people put up with garbage like this.