I don't know if this still holds true as it was what was taught when I was in the police academy some time ago (like 35 years). We had the motor vehicle law section taught by a NJ Highway Patrol officer (which indicates how long ago this was). He told us the options you have when you find someone committing a MV violation is: verbal warning, written warning, summons, or arrest. I can remember seeing driver's license extracts which lists "written warning" next to a violation. The police department I worked in never bothered with written warnings just verbal, summons, or for the more serious violations or out of state people from places there was no reciprocity(everywhere now), arrest.

AFAIK a written warning only becomes official if the officer turns it in.

The system has been revamped several times now using new software but the old database. Written warnings are not part of any DMV readout in NJ. In fact during my arrendance in the classes for certif9ication as the department's TAC officer they weren't discussed.

NJ Highway Patrol

Wow. I thought I've been around for a while. I didin't even remember that agency until you mentioned it. The merged way back when I first got on the job in the late 70's. A good friend and out State SBI rep. was one of those guys.