GoNRA

Best Home Defense Rifle

I never said it was a good idea to shoot guns without hearing protection. All I said was anything you shoot in your house is going to be loud. Even my damn BB gun is louder than you would think. If you need to prove it to yourself.. just go to the range and take a shot or two without ear protection. That's all I was saying.

Every time you make your ears ring, you've done some sort of incremental damage.

unless you are at an indoor range and do that you will still have no idea.. the sound of a firearm out in an open field.. and that same firearm inside a room at night and day imo..

I've done it at both an indoor range and an outdoor range.. and I've been at an indoor ipsc match where I didn't hear the going hot command and got very surprised by the gunfire. :roll: :roll: Doesn't sound like it does when you have your muffs on.

I never said it was a good idea to shoot guns without hearing protection. All I said was anything you shoot in your house is going to be loud. Even my damn BB gun is louder than you would think. If you need to prove it to yourself.. just go to the range and take a shot or two without ear protection. That's all I was saying.

Every time you make your ears ring, you've done some sort of incremental damage.

unless you are at an indoor range and do that you will still have no idea.. the sound of a firearm out in an open field.. and that same firearm inside a room at night and day imo..

I've done it at both an indoor range and an outdoor range.. and I've been at an indoor ipsc match where I didn't hear the going hot command and got very surprised by the gunfire. :roll: :roll: Doesn't sound like it does when you have your muffs on.

was not arguing ;) just saying i would think that there would be a noticeable difference between shooting indoors and outdoors without hearing protection.. thats all....

Definitely a huge difference between indoor and outdoor. I actually keep a pair of these by my bed, next to my rifle:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97079-Comb ... B000W2CPCC

Its what was issued downrange, and I used these exclusively under the headsets that we were also issued. Its a lot better then the Surefire EP3's (those are rated for 8db, these are 22), and can serve both indoor and outdoor recreational purposes.

Definitely a huge difference between indoor and outdoor. I actually keep a pair of these by my bed, next to my rifle:

http://www.amazon.com/Peltor-97079-Comb ... B000W2CPCC

Its what was issued downrange, and I used these exclusively under the headsets that we were also issued. Its a lot better then the Surefire EP3's (those are rated for 8db, these are 22), and can serve both indoor and outdoor recreational purposes.

I was looking at those Peltors.. may pick up a few sets.

As far as the Surefire's go, try the EP4s. I LOVE mine. They're rated at 19.. not quite as good as the peltors, but I like how the Surefire fit into the ear.

I prefer a 12 gauge pump, NO light mounted. I have heard them referred to as "Shoot Me" lights. If your searching your house because you think someone is hiding in it you are giving them the advantage of knowing your location from the light source.

You could also be pointing a loaded weapon at someone you do not want to shoot. I think I know my way around the house in the dark much better then an intruder.

If I choose a pistol then I have a free hand to use a flashlight and not need to point the muzzle in the same direction as the light beam..

I prefer a 12 gauge pump, NO light mounted. I have heard them referred to as "Shoot Me" lights. If your searching your house because you think someone is hiding in it you are giving them the advantage of knowing your location from the light source.

You could also be pointing a loaded weapon at someone you do not want to shoot. I think I know my way around the house in the dark much better then an intruder.

If I choose a pistol then I have a free hand to use a flashlight and not need to point the muzzle in the same direction as the light beam..

i was thinking about it last night.. and the reality is MOST peoples homes even in the dead of night are not pitch black.. so realistically you may not even really need a weapon mounted light.. i mean i have one, but dont really know that i would use it in the home.... the advantage to my situation is this.. i live in a relatively small dwelling.. there are ONLY 2 keys.. ones mine and ones my girlfriends.. we sleep in the same bed.. SO.. if im woken up in the middle of the night by someone in my home.. and my g/f is next to me in bed.. its a pretty safe assumption that anything else in the home is fair game..

I prefer a 12 gauge pump, NO light mounted. I have heard them referred to as "Shoot Me" lights.

if im woken up in the middle of the night by someone in my home.. and my g/f is next to me in bed.. its a pretty safe assumption that anything else in the home is fair game..

All I can say after being woken up by my security alarm at 3 in the morning is that I was cursing the fact that I couldn't see isht without a light. On my pistol, I may not use it depending on the situation, but I'm glad it's there now. And like you said, if you are in the house but not my wife chances are you're a target.

And god forbid my wife has to use the 12ga then I want the light on and pointing RIGHT AT the stairs with the barrel of the gun. If something comes up, SHOOT IT. Don't go after it, just defend. The stuff isn't important, she is!

All I can refer back to is Clint Smith from Thuder Ranch who says about lights

(paraphrasing)

the light doesn't matter, they know you are coming

His defensive shotgun DVD is great, some of the high tech flashlight mounts he uses like rubber bands, lol, but he gets the pint across that whatever works is what you need to use

you should watch him with a single shot

I see lights on guns as an "it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" kind of thing. This isn't the movies - no one is saying to run around your house looking for the bad guy with the light ON all the time. Lights on guns are generally meant to be used sparingly and momentarily. You're only turning it on long enough to clear a specific area.

As far as weapons lights, I just read that some guy shot and killed his pregnant wife in the middle of the night not long ago. Swore that she was sleeping next to him at the time and since she was in bed it had to be an intruder. Not to say there isn't the possibility of somethiong shady but...

On another note, I have 2 small children, the eldest still not quite 4. Last year My wife and I were both woken up at about 2:30am by one of the kids and half out of our mind since we were just awoken. She was in the hallway upstairs and I had just walked back into our room, 10 ft away. Suddenly the outside door slams against the house and she screams 'someone's breaking in'. (She can see the front door from the top of the stairs). * I run to unlock my pistol case, draw my pistol and rack the slide. I can feel (but not see) that for whatever reason the slide didn't slam all the way forward. I rack the slide again, the stuck round flys across the room and I can feel that the slide has slammed forward and the gun is cocked. From the asterix above to this point is no more than 30-40 seconds, though it felt like an eternity. I draw a bead on the front door as my wife starts to gather up the kids and phone in the other room. Not a sound...

Eventually I proceed downstairs cautiously and start checking the house. Long story short, it was a windy night and the door must not have been properly latched. Why it took until 2:30am for it to come loose and blow open I have no idea. One thing I can assure you is that I was unable to sleep for about 2 hours after because of the adrenaline. I'm just glad I didn't put a round through the front door by mistake since I was so amped up. (The upside is that my wife while still no fan of firearms has far less of an issue with having them in the house now).

The moral of the story is that unless you kick down doors for a living, when something like that happens it changes your view of things and how you would react vs. how you think you will react. Just something to Ponder...

You guys and your guns...I have an attack 7 and 1/2 pound beagle that is trained to kill.

I am against guns. I think you should try to reason with the attacker. Just tell him leave, I'm sure you'll have good results.

7 1/2 shot = 7 1/2 lb beagle :lol:

You guys and your guns...I have an attack 7 and 1/2 pound beagle that is trained to kill.

I am against guns. I think you should try to reason with the attacker. Just tell him leave, I'm sure you'll have good results.

oh yeah, that vicious beast. It's a man killer.

.30 m1 carbine , but not in n.j. - 9mm or .45 marlin camp carbine -

A shotgun will take care of most of the long gun requirements in a HD situation. If you feel you need a centerfire long gun I'd first look at a pistol caliber carbine. We all know it doesn't have the power of a rifle cartridge but your accuracy level skyrockets with less worries of overpenetration. I have a Hi Point that shoots 4-5" at 100 yards and about all of us would be hard pressed to do that with a handgun. The Hi Point is cheap, looks cheap but at least mine works 100% with factory mags. Beretta, Ruger, and Marlin all make nicer carbines but they don't work any better than the Hi point.

The next step up would be a Saiga in 223.

I may get flamed for this but there are few situations where you're going to need more than the 10 rds that comes in the standard magazine with either of these.

Another thing you need to consider is range really isn't that much of an issue for a HD weapon. 50 feet is a long shot in a HD situation as a rule. You're going to need to justify why that bad guy at 50 or 100 yards is a threat to you (he may be but that's usually not the case).

Proper use of a mounted light (pistol or rifle) should help eliminate the "shoot me" mentality about weapon lights. I can't find the article now (figures :roll: ) but it referenced using the light in 1/4 sec flashes to visually sweep a room, and 1/2 sec flashes to identify a target. When you think about it, no one knows your house better then you, so a 1/4 flash into a room should be enough to notice something misplaced, or a shadow that shouldn't be there. Follow that up with a quick 1/2 sec to make sure that shadow is something you wish to engage.

I tried this is my house. I was surprised at how effective it is. That little bit of light allows you take everything in, and does not really give away your position. As a side note, I have a G2 and TLR-1, and both lights are bright enough to light a room, but not SO bright that I get a "flashbulb" effect.

All of the above aside; I never intend to clear any part of my house it I can avoid it. I have insurance, if they steal my tv... so be it. But if they come up the stairs and try to get to me or my wife....

50 feet is a long shot in a HD situation as a rule. You're going to need to justify why that bad guy at 50 or 100 yards is a threat to you (he may be but that's usually not the case).

When he has the shoulder fired RPG aimed at your bedroom :D

Too much Modern Warfare 2!!.... ease up buddy :twisted: :violence-guntoting:

My HD preference is a tacti-cool 12 gauge, both upstairs and down, loaded with 4 buck.

If I had to choose a rifle for HD ... (let the bashing begin) ... I would choose a .22 LR.

+1

I've got a H&R single shot 22lr that is loaded with one CCI Stinger. She's ready to rock and roll!

ok ok , I knew this would happen! :lol:

A well placed .22 shot is just (if not more) effective as a poorly placed .223 or higher caliber.

.22lr will:

1. Reduce the risk of over penetration

2. Allow for a MUCH faster follow up shot acquisition

3. Greatly reduce the aforementioned blinding / deafening effect

4. Be easily handled by a wife / girlfriend if the weapon must be passed to someone else

I will take a hit with a .22 over a miss with a .470 Nitro Express any day.

But again, my original preference would be a good ol' 12 gauge pump action shotgun.

ok ok , I knew this would happen! :lol:

A well placed .22 shot is just (if not more) effective as a poorly placed .223 or higher caliber.

.22lr will:

1. Reduce the risk of over penetration

2. Allow for a MUCH faster follow up shot acquisition

3. Greatly reduce the aforementioned blinding / deafening effect

4. Be easily handled by a wife / girlfriend if the weapon must be passed to someone else

I will take a hit with a .22 over a miss with a .470 Nitro Express any day.

But again, my original preference would be a good ol' 12 gauge pump action shotgun.

What are you talking about, have you even ever shot a gun before??

All kidding aside, I'm gonna grab my baseball bat, I might have a better chance of not being convicted in the PR of NJ if something bad happened to the criminal, since the criminals rights comes before my own!

small edit: After shooting my ruger mark III today, I would have to say if I had to chase someone in my house because say he was heading towards my childs room or something, the .22 mark III would be my choice of a weapon. Fires everytime, low penetration, and it'll stop a person.

tiny edit: My buddy took down a deer with a .22lr, in one ear out the other, didn't even take another step, just dropped dead. All about placement.

The scariest part of your post was when you spoke about reproducing. G-d help us all.

Whatta ya talking about?? Speaking about reproducing, I already have. Just go look in your bedroom on your bed at your sleeping prego's wife :) haha

But scary I do agree with you for a change Chad. .22 is definitely an odd ball choice but it makes tons of sense as long as the intruder is a human. If you lived in the woods like me and its a bear, totally different story

I think as long as you're proficient with whatever rifle (or firearm for that matter) you opt to use, it could hardly matter. I personally am not comfortable with shotguns, and I know I'm a better shot with my rifle then my pistol. Some people can complain all day about rifles not being good for CQB, but I'm pretty familiar with manipulating and maneuvering to get the shot I want. The kick and follow up shot are hardly noticeable; I know I can perform a Mozambique drill far more effectively with my rifle then pistol. The muzzle flash might catch people off guard, but I've grown accustomed to it in low/no light situations just like I've grown accustomed to the pop the rifles make (compared to the bang the first time I shot one). As for someone else being able to handle it, maybe a .22lr is easier... but operator error will still be operator error.

So, my point, as I've said for every time this discussion has come up in threads ;) , its about preference. There is no perfect home defense weapon. If its a riot shot gun or guard dog or trip-wired-booby-trapped setup (Home Alone style), its just preference. Now, if you were asking what we as individuals prefer for home defense, then let the discussions commence.