Sign in to follow this  
FlyersFan

BB Gun

Quick question for you guys. Is it legal for me to fire my BB gun in my back yard? The nearest house is about 500 yards away...(Don't know if this matters, but I figured I would say just in case.)

On the $24 bb gun I bought at WalMart? Of course! :roll: Gotta love it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Knowing my neighbors and the local police, I'm sure it won't be a problem...but I'll play it safe and take it over to my grandfather's farm if I decide to use it, just in case. Ya never know.

:naughty: <

Whats funny is a BB rifle is considered a rifle in NJ. A BB pistol is considered a pistol in NJ (pp req'd to purchase one). Now, there is no restriction (other than being 18 years old I think) to buy BB's. Being a BB pistol is considered a firearm, shouldn't BB purchases need to be logged and FPID shown as well, just like *regular* guns?

Not that I want to give lawmakers any ideas, just always wondered about that.

Does it have a serial number ?

Just called my local PD. The officer who answered had a good laugh when he heard why I was calling, and told me to bring it to the police station and he'll give me the paperwork and all to "make it legal". So, fear not New Jersey - my bb gun will be legal and registered within the hour 8-)

:hope:

These laws are goofy, but I count my blessings. Just wait until this clown and his minions start crusading against "dangerous" guns...perish the thought.

Here's a question, does NJ consider Airsoft guns the same as BB guns? I got a little clear plastic Mossberg 590 replica I bought from Walmart in PA for a Halloween costume and I wanted to take it into the back yard to shoot some cans with it since I have some 1000 plastic pellets that came with it.

I believe the answer to your question comes to another question: Is the airsoft gun capable of causing bodily injury or death? If the answer is yes, then yes, it is a firearm in NJ.

I can find the exact wording of the statute later, when I get home from work.

Here's a question, does NJ consider Airsoft guns the same as BB guns? I got a little clear plastic Mossberg 590 replica I bought from Walmart in PA for a Halloween costume and I wanted to take it into the back yard to shoot some cans with it since I have some 1000 plastic pellets that came with it.

I believe the answer to your question comes to another question: Is the airsoft gun capable of causing bodily injury or death? If the answer is yes, then yes, it is a firearm in NJ.

I can find the exact wording of the statute later, when I get home from work.

Death unlikely, bodily injury... does a little sting count?

Actually.. since my motivation for work is now gone:

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic

rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected

any solid projectable ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by

means of a cartridge or shell or by the action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or

explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any firearm, which is in the nature of

an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is

a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or

is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch

in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person.

http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/06240 ... 13ch54.pdf

I guess it depends on the current definition of "injury". I knew I shoulda been a lawyer :D

But in all seriousness, in my non-legal and free opinion, I would say that the air soft gun is most likely OK to have.. as they sell them in sporting goods stores. However, if it was used in a crime, or in your possession during the commission of a crime, then the status would likely change.

No, Airsoft and Paintball are NOT Considered firearms in NJ, and are, thus far, unregulated.

i thought this was an april fools joke, then i looked at the clock and realized it was still november...

good luck explaining to the cops how it was legal for you to purchase a handgun over state lines without a pistol permit, bring it back, and are seeking to get it registered so you can discharge it within city limits in your own back yard.

bring a toothbrush. and see you in 6-18 months, depending on how long your stuck in the legal system.

disclaimer : while it is technically legal to bring in the bbgun from out of state, since the nj law only restricts the sale, not possession, it is un-neccisary to bring it to a police department to get registered, and it is most likely illegal for you to discharge it, since most discharge laws dont make a distinction between bb guns and real guns, and if your doing this because you cant fire your real gun in your back yard, you are going to be SOL

i thought this was an april fools joke, then i looked at the clock and realized it was still november...

good luck explaining to the cops how it was legal for you to purchase a handgun over state lines without a pistol permit, bring it back, and are seeking to get it registered so you can discharge it within city limits in your own back yard.

bring a toothbrush. and see you in 6-18 months, depending on how long your stuck in the legal system.

disclaimer : while it is technically legal to bring in the bbgun from out of state, since the nj law only restricts the sale, not possession, it is un-neccisary to bring it to a police department to get registered, and it is most likely illegal for you to discharge it, since most discharge laws dont make a distinction between bb guns and real guns, and if your doing this because you cant fire your real gun in your back yard, you are going to be SOL

I don't recall him saying it was a pistol. Therefore all he would need is his FPID

:roll:

Yikes. It's not a handgun, pal. Take a chill pill. I took it to the PD this afternoon and everything is taken care of. I don't appreciate being talked to like I'm an invalid either.

Now I know how Ralphie felt in "A Christmas Story"...but instead of "YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT" it's "BLAAAHHH YOU'RE GOING TO JAIL!"

n.j. has a form that you can get at any police station - called voluntary registration form -

n.j. has a form that you can get at any police station - called voluntary registration form -

Exactly right. That's what I filled out at the PD yesterday. :) No ATF agents or SWAT teams were there to haul me off to jail as was predicted by previous poster :roll: ...rather a kind patrolman who referred me to a kind Sergeant who was more than willing to get things straightened out. I love all you guys, and have learned a lot from you - but (some of) you sure got me worked up over nothing! ;)

I can't believe I went through all this trouble for a BB Gun, haha! Better safe than sorry though. I'd rather be on the right side of the law, especially when it comes to firearms in NJ.

Nooooo Chad, definitely wasn't referring to you. :oops: My bad! (I forgot you even referred to the ATF, haha!) I was referring to the individual who stated that I was going to be incarcerated for a period of 6-18 months.

Nooooo Chad, definitely wasn't referring to you. :oops: My bad! (I forgot you even referred to the ATF, haha!) I was referring to the individual who stated that I was going to be incarcerated for a period of 6-18 months.

A BB gun pistol would indeed trigger that if you bought it without a Pistol Permit and were caught firing it off in the back yard and "endangering" the neighborhood. Again, in the eyes of the law in NJ, there is no difference between a rifle or pistol that shoots BBs/pellets using air or spring and one that shoots lead using gun powder.

A BB gun pistol would indeed trigger that if you bought it without a Pistol Permit and were caught firing it off in the back yard and "endangering" the neighborhood. Again, in the eyes of the law in NJ, there is no difference between a rifle or pistol that shoots BBs/pellets using air or spring and one that shoots lead using gun powder.

Indeed, good sir :). But...

1. This is not a pistol.

2. I have no plans on discharging it in an illegal fashion. That was the whole purpose of my initial post :)

The permit we all get is to purchase guns, Its a "purchase permit" says so right on the permit itself, its not a carry, or owners permit... If you moved here from another state, and had guns move with you from that state into New Jersey, you do not have to register them in New Jersey to keep them...Since you already own the BB gun, you are not obligated to do anything else . By telling them you have it, only makes you a target, if something in the neighborhood gets a BB hole in it, you will be the first person on the list for a visit...