Sign in to follow this  
AtlanticCounty

+P and +P+ ammo in Glocks

I use Golden Saber +P in my G17, but have heard to go light on the +P+. Don't think i have a verifiable source and the +P is good enough for me so I just never bothered to look into it more. I know for sure that +P is ok though.

You could always call Glock and ask.

One thing that people have to understand: +P ammo is still regulated by SAAMI standards - in other words there is one pressure plateau for standard ammunition and a specified higher one for +P. There is NO SAAMI standard for +P+, so you have no idea what level of pressure is obtained by any given cartridge. +P+ cartridges are usually loaded for specific applications, a particular police department for example. The level loaded is safe for the guns they are using under the conditions they are used. You cannot make a blanket statement that a particular +P+ round is safe in all guns. It's a crap shoot. All that being said, it probably is safe given that +P+ rounds are probably less than the proof rounds used by the weapons manufacturers, but I won't use them in my guns - why take the chance? If you think you weapon isn't effective with standard or +P ammo, change guns or calibers. Just my $.02 worth...YMMV.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

why take the chance? If you think you weapon isn't effective with standard or +P ammo, change guns or calibers. Just my $.02 worth...YMMV.

+1 +p+ seems like a solution that is easier and more effectively solved by different calibers.

Agreed. 9x19mm +P is certainly effective, especially with good HP rounds. If, however, you require (or just want) a bullet with more energy, stepping to a different caliber would probably be a better choice. Most modern handguns can handle +P ammunition, but I do not know of any off-hand where the manufacturer specifically states that +P+ ammunition is acceptable. While you probably will not have a catastrophic failure in a modern and well-maintained pistol with +P+ ammunition, invariably it will be much greater wear and tear on the gun, and honestly I would not want to take the chances of a single too-hot +P+ round damaging the gun after one shot fired in self-defense (because you're probably going to miss with that first round).

I use Golden Saber +P in my G17, but have heard to go light on the +P+. Don't think i have a verifiable source and the +P is good enough for me so I just never bothered to look into it more. I know for sure that +P is ok though.

Hope you are LEO. No hollow points for self defense in NJ except for LEO.

You're not allowed to use hollow points in a crime, status as a LEO makes no difference if you're off duty or from a different state carrying under LEOSA

...I do not know of any off-hand where the manufacturer specifically states that +P+ ammunition is acceptable.

They can't and won't because there are no standards as to what constitutes a +P+ round. As I said, a firearm manufacturer may OK the use of +P+ for a specific application where they know the characteristics of that particular loading and in what weapon it is to be used - these would be LE, military or security applications where the ammo is loaded for that particular agency. Buying +P+ on the open market is a crap shoot, and not something I'm willing to do with my guns.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You're not allowed to use hollow points in a crime, status as a LEO makes no difference if you're off duty or from a different state carrying under LEOSA

Indeed! Plus in the area I live in, there are shared walls. It would be tragic to stop the threat in my house only to have ball ammo blow through a wall and hit a neighbor. Just another reason the anti's hatred of HP is so stupid!

The "exploding Glocks" were from unsupported chambers in most cases. We had one and it was due from a problem somewhat limited to the Glock design. Failure to properly clean out the firing pin assembly and the slide area where it resides can cause the firing pin to stick forward of the breach face causing an out of battery detonation. It isn't specific to any make of ammo as ours was with winchester.

You're not allowed to use hollow points in a crime

The reference was using the ammo type in a self defense situation. Where do you get the criminal reference.

It would be tragic to stop the threat in my house only to have ball ammo blow through a wall and hit a neighbor. Just another reason the anti's hatred of HP is so stupid!

Additionally, one might brush up on the laws as currently in place. Nothing prevents the use of HP ammo in most situations, home defense being one permitted use. Plus the fact that anyone who thinks standard sheet rock is going to stop any rounds is simply fooling themselves. A 22lr would penetrate two layers so your backstop in any deadly force shooting situation is an important factor.

Additionally, one might brush up on the laws as currently in place. Nothing prevents the use of HP ammo in most situations, home defense being one permitted use. Plus the fact that anyone who thinks standard sheet rock is going to stop any rounds is simply fooling themselves. A 22lr would penetrate two layers so your backstop in any deadly force shooting situation is an important factor.

I'm not sure what the laws are for concealed carry (if you are one of the holy ones in NJ with a permit) but I didn't think you could use HP.

Also you are right about sheet rock, but HP still is a better solution than ball. We have 2 inches of firewall, and with the studs there's a pretty good chance of it not going through that as well as a target. I think that it's smart to be as safe as possible even if it's not foolproof.

I'm not sure what the laws are for concealed carry (if you are one of the holy ones in NJ with a permit) but I didn't think you could use HP.

Concealed or Open Carry (Security Guards). No HP unless Law Enforcement. You can use EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket).

As for the regular citizens, you can use HP for any lawful purpose.. Home Defense, hunting (if lawful), target shooting..

+p+ seems like a solution that is easier and more effectively solved by different calibers.

I agree with this. I use +P in K frame size revolvers and +P+ in 357s. I have fired some +P and +P+ in Glocks with no negative effects. If you look at the ballistics you aren't gaining a lot in velocity. It also seems to me that auto pistols are designed to operate in specific pressure ranges. Exceeding that range can only increase wear on the gun. To those who say use a stronger recoil spring they are ignoring at least one fact. I think the engineers who designed the gun figured out what weight spring to use, If you replace say a 16 lb spring with a 20 lb one that slide is going to ram back in battery with 25% more force than the gun was designed. Something has to give eventually.

If you feel you need a +P+ 9mm I'd say buy a 357 SIG.

I finally made it around to calling Glock in Smyrna GA and the guy I spoke with said +P /NATO marked rounds are not a problem and shoot fine with the Glock 19.

But I think its time to move up in caliber. I am thinking .45 ACP Ruger P97.

Good gun, good caliber

Glock makes a fine .45acp and it has one of largest magazine capacities on the market (13+1), and as long as you buy an SF model you should be fine grip wise. But im biased.

So does the XD, and it's rated (as is the Glock) for +P.

Glock makes a fine .45acp and it has one of largest magazine capacities on the market (13+1), and as long as you buy an SF model you should be fine grip wise. But im biased.

I have no problem with the Glock 19 and Glocks in general but I wanted to pick up a Ruger.

BTW, does anyone know if we need 2 more references every time we apply for pistol purchase permits?

I have no problem with the Glock 19 and Glocks in general but I wanted to pick up a Ruger.

BTW, does anyone know if we need 2 more references every time we apply for pistol purchase permits?

Yup, every time! 2 letters of recommendations as well. Gotta love new Jerzey

Yup, every time! 2 letters of recommendations as well. Gotta love new Jerzey

You need to put two names on the application. They can be the same every time. As for letters, that's up to the department. In my case, they mail out a simple form that can be checked off in 30 seconds, along with a return envelope...