Malsua

How Does This Happen? The Exploding Revolver

That picture (and others of the same gun) have been all over the Internet gun forums. Could be caused, as other have said, by use of the wrong powder. Doubtful that you would be able to double charge with the correct powder (I'm assuming this is a .44 Mag as was reported elsewhere). A squib blocking the barrel with a subsequent full powered load fired, will usually peel the barrel - however, if it just clears the forcing cone I suppose this could result. The bullet that is part way out of the cylinder got that way as a result of the explosion.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

EXCESS PRESSURE ! - double charge of pistol powder ? - usually most rifle powder is too slow burning to cause something like this -

My guess would be a double load of a fast powder.

This is one of the reasons you are better off using slower powders with magnum loads. It's easy to double or even triple charge a case with Bullseye and impossible without it overflowing if you're using W296 or 2400.

Another cause is everyone has to have a progressive press. Pull the handle 50 times and I have a box of ammo. This is sometimes done with little or no attention to quality control.

Usually what happens when a revolver blows depending on how much pressure is there;

first the cylinder blows

next the front of the top strap gives way

lastly the rear of the top strap snaps off

That must have been a dozer of a load with enough pressure to send the round into orbit for it to break like that. It was a way overloaded case (fill a 44 mag case with bullseye for the same result), more than just a bullet stuck in the barrel, or a combination of several things.

I am not a fan of hot loads. If I need more than a 38, I'll use a 357, more than that a 44 Mag and then a rifle.

((( Do you think there was a bullet stuck in barrel at the time of fire? )))

no sign of bulging or cracks in barrel or frame boss -

Do you think there was a bullet stuck in barrel at the time of fire?

Doubt it. Earlier in the year Guns & Ammo TV did exactly that by firing three rounds with a bullet stuck in the barrel. Little visible evident of the slug lodged in the barrel after the rounds were fired. They used a S&W 686.

I'd go with an excessive charge of powder.

My guess would be a double load of a fast powder.

This is one of the reasons you are better off using slower powders with magnum loads. It's easy to double or even triple charge a case with Bullseye and impossible without it overflowing if you're using W296 or 2400.

Another cause is everyone has to have a progressive press. Pull the handle 50 times and I have a box of ammo. This is sometimes done with little or no attention to quality control.

Usually what happens when a revolver blows depending on how much pressure is there;

first the cylinder blows

next the front of the top strap gives way

lastly the rear of the top strap snaps off

That must have been a dozer of a load with enough pressure to send the round into orbit for it to break like that. It was a way overloaded case (fill a 44 mag case with bullseye for the same result), more than just a bullet stuck in the barrel, or a combination of several things.

I am not a fan of hot loads. If I need more than a 38, I'll use a 357, more than that a 44 Mag and then a rifle.

I strongly concur with your rational Sir....

Could be worse Check this out !!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/tfprocter/G ... eat=email#

Thats disgusting, and what'd he do, have his hand on the actual barrel??

He was holding his hand on the stock as he shot. Under the barrel. There are pieces of stock imbedded in his hands.

Could be worse Check this out !!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/tfprocter/G ... eat=email#

Thats disgusting, and what'd he do, have his hand on the actual barrel??

He was holding his hand on the stock as he shot. Under the barrel. There are pieces of stock imbedded in his hands.

I'm assuming that was a live load after a squib?