Sign in to follow this  
djg0770

Where to start?

Ok - I'm taking a noob to TBH tomorrow.

I've given him the 4 rules to read, and he's read them.

I will start him with a 22, move up to 380, then 40 and then 45acp - all semi auto.

Obviously I will equip him with ears and eyes...

Any other suggestions?

I always tell noobs that if something occurs that you don't expect, or you get confused by something one of the firearms does, make it safe & unarmed, put it down, and ask me to handle it.

That way if there is a jam or something that an inexperienced shooter may not know how to handle, or they get nervous, we can come to a safe conclusion for any incident.

Don't load up the mag, maybe 1 or 2 for the first go around until he sees what the recoil is going to feel like.

+1

Definitely go through handling. No sweeping. If you watch a newb with a gun they WILL point it at you at within about 30 seconds.

Don't force the progreesion throught the calibers. If the "noob" is not comfortable moving to a larger caliber, let them shoot the one they are comfortable with. Once they get comfortable with what they are shooting is the time to move up. Nothing worse then having an unexpected large recoil putting them off from the start.

Don't load up the mag, maybe 1 or 2 for the first go around until he sees what the recoil is going to feel like.

+1

Definitely go through handling. No sweeping. If you watch a newb with a gun they WILL point it at you at within about 30 seconds.

Good point, also one reason I prefer stalls. Tell him to keep looking down range even if you're talking to him, explain that people have a natural tendency to point the gun where they look.

Worst mistake I ever made with a new shooter was not fully explaining that no part of their hand can protrude into the space that the slide travels on an automatic pistol. The second time he picked up the pistol and fired it he changed his grip slightly and got his left thumb nicked by the slide.

Also good to cover the possibility of squibs, especially if they start to get confident and fire faster.

+1

Good point, also one reason I prefer stalls. Tell him to keep looking down range even if you're talking to him, explain that people have a natural tendency to point the gun where they look.

What I see is that they'll hold it pointed down...aimed right about your crotch. You really have to drill it into them...muzzle down range ALWAYS.

I always stand behind new shooters with my hand touching their shoulder or the middle of their back. If they start to turn around, my other hand goes right in front of their face and points downrange as a stern reminder to NOT turn around. Another reason I'm behind them is because it helps me to see where they are aiming. Don't take it for granted they fully understand the aiming procedure. While I will not be able to line up the sights exactly because their head will be in the way, I can certainly see a general direction, too high, too low, etc. For a larger caliber, some people will tend to over react with recoil. If I'm behind them I feel I can see everything and either catch them, or the gun if it gets out of hand so to say. By my hand touching them, for the first few shots anyway, they subconsciously (in my opinion) realize they are being watched very closely, and they have help right there if anything should happen. Also, recoil seems to be the biggest fear of new shooters, also subconsciously, they feel they cannot fall backwards if someone is right there.

And, +1 on only loading one round at a time for a while. :twocents-mytwocents:

One of your co-workers Dan? You still trying to convert your buddies at work, right?

one at a time.

Right on, my co-worker was extremely afraid of guns but he shot a 22 and a 357 last week at his brother-in-laws house and he actually liked it. He wants to go with us next time we go to the Bayonne Range.

It went well. He's got trigger finger syndrome where the finger keeps going in the trigger guard BEFORE he's up on target. I was all over him, even the 'difficult' RSO complimented me. :shifty:

Started with 22, moved up to 380, 40 and finally 45.

He reflected upon the experience and decided that he really liked the 22 and the 45. He had virtually no groupings. We'll work on that next time. He was anticipating recoil, especially with the 40. We only did a half hour, and because of the limited time and his limited experience, we only rented one port in order that I could focus on enhancing his experience and paying attention to his habits.

Like many people who first pick up a gun, he was timid. Afraid to slap the mag home, not sure where all of the controls were, etc. I would guess that many of us started similarly and only familiarity has brought us to our comfort level.

At least he got a good start instead of buying a gun and going shooting without any experience at all. Watch the grips of "self taught". It'll make you cringe.

not sure where all of the controls were

I picked up a USP full size Friday and I couldn't figure out the decocker and had to be shown. It didn't help that I'm a lefty.