I'm on my laptop so I don't have the link thats on my desktop. Will post it tomorrow if I remember. But it pretty much says since its NJ their laws are not clear. Then it breaks it down to how each county has different laws etc. So for the most part your taking a chance, aka why I don't own one. I wanted to buy a NICE knife that I could use daily and for hunting and my research told me to just buy a decent knife for hunting and forget carrying

New Jersey - Code of Criminal Justice

- 2C:39-3 Prohibited Weapons and Devices...

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his

possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger,

dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub,

slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with

metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic

knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty

of a crime of the fourth degree.

- 2C:39-1 h. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a

blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof

by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal

force... p. "Switchblade knife" means any knife or similar

device which has blade which opens automatically by hand

pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in

the handle of the knife... u. "Ballistic knife" means any

weapon or other device capable of lethal use and which can

propel a knife blade.

- 2C:39-4. Possession of weapons for unlawful purposes...

d. Other weapons. Any person who has in his possession any

weapon, except a firearm, with a purpose to use it

unlawfully against the person or property of another is

guilty of a crime of the third degree.

- 2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons... d. Other weapons.

Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other

weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for

such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of

the fourth degree.

- - e. Firearms or other weapons in educational institutions...

(2)Any person who knowingly possesses any weapon enumerated

in paragraphs (3) and (4) of subsection r. of N.J.S.2C:39-1

or any components which can readily be assembled into a

firearm or other weapon enumerated in subsection r. of

N.J.S.2C:39-1 or any other weapon under circumstances not

manifestly appropriate for such lawful use as it may have,

while in or upon any part of the buildings or grounds of any

school, college, university or other educational institution

without the written authorization of the governing officer

of the institution is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

- 2C:39-6. f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5

shall be construed to prevent... (2) A person carrying a firearm

or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State

for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided

that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting

or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession

a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing,

a valid fishing license;

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or

fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid

hunting or fishing license; or

- 2C:39-9. d. Weapons. Any person who manufactures, causes to

be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of

any weapon including gravity knives, switchblade knives,

daggers, dirks, stilettos... is guilty of a crime of the

fourth degree.

- 2C:39-9.1... Any person who sells any hunting, fishing,

combat or survival knife having a blade length of five

inches or more or an overall length of 10 inches or more

to a person under 18 years of age commits a crime of the

fourth degree...

New Jersey Case Law:

- "Concealment was not a necessary element of the offense of

carrying a dangerous knife." (1973)

- "Concealment of weapon at time of incident constituted

important factor of offense of possession of dangerous

knife." (1971)

That said I'm not a lawyer.

HOLY CRAP I have to decipher that!!!. I think I'm just gonna get some Ghost Pepper (hottest pepper in the world) grind in into a paste soak in it vodka for a few weeks and put it in a compressed air bottle.

:lol::lol::lol:

- 2C:39-4. Possession of weapons for unlawful purposes...

d. Other weapons. Any person who has in his possession any

weapon, except a firearm, with a purpose to use it

unlawfully against the person or property of another is

guilty of a crime of the third degree.

I literally had a discussion about this the other day.

I got a VERY glowing recommendation about a Spyderco. I've had on but it's in my storage unit.

If you want to read about a real person who gutted a real bad guy...clickly here and read the next 5 posts or so: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/ ... page=15#15

I read a article a few years ago which defined a weapon as something that has no use other than a weapon. Such as a gun , a knife on the other hand can be used for many purposes only one of which is a weapon. I notice NJ laws do specify knife separate from a gun. Someone in a local gun sop told me if the blade is less then 1 1/2 inches you are ok , other have told me the blade has to be shorter then the with of your 4 fingers.

Go figure.

I read a article a few years ago which defined a weapon as something that has no use other than a weapon. Such as a gun , a knife on the other hand can be used for many purposes only one of which is a weapon. I notice NJ laws do specify knife separate from a gun. Someone in a local gun sop told me if the blade is less then 1 1/2 inches you are ok , other have told me the blade has to be shorter then the with of your 4 fingers.

Go figure.

That is ALL NONSENSE. there is no minimum/maximum length, it's entirely dependant on the circumstances.

It just shows how much confusion there is about NJ knife laws. I have no idea if I can or cannot legally have a pocket knife on me.

Perhaps you could be so kind as to explain what the circumstances are that make it OK or not OK ?

the fourth degree.

there is your operative language...... If you're committing a crime and have a pocketknife..yeah you're going to get charged, if you're walking down the wtreet with your boy Scout folder in your pocket, no, you are not going to get arrested.

It just shows how much confusion there is about NJ knife laws. I have no idea if I can or cannot legally have a pocket knife on me.

Perhaps you could be so kind as to explain what the circumstances are that make it OK or not OK ?

the fourth degree.

there is your operative language...... If you're committing a crime and have a pocketknife..yeah you're going to get charged, if you're walking down the wtreet with your boy Scout folder in your pocket, no, you are not going to get arrested.

+1

considering everything is up to the discretion of the authorities.

You seem to keep missing the point about "committing a crime". Nothing is left to the imagination. If you are "committing a crime" with a knife, any knife, the charge gets added. It really couldn't be simpler.

considering everything is up to the discretion of the authorities.

You seem to keep missing the point about "committing a crime". Nothing is left to the imagination. If you are "committing a crime" with a knife, any knife, the charge gets added. It really couldn't be simpler.

I think it would depend on what the crime was. A crime of violence, yes, but maybe not for a crime of say gambling, etc. The charge would still be at the discretion of the officer.

On a related note, does anyone know if there are any specific restrictions to knives that are CLIPPED to a pocket in NJ? I wouldn't even think to ask, but apparently, in NYC, there's some sort of "administrative code" that will get you jammed up if you have a knife clipped to a pocket

I do have an honest question in form of an example. As previously stated, because of the many view points, I too am confused with how everything works.

As far as I understand, I believe my township has specific limitations. And from my understanding, if I go for a walk/hike and happen to have a knife on me in case something happens (I fall, and need to tourniquet, or get lost and would prefer to have a handy knife on me), having a knife (even if it is within the apparent length limitations) would still get me in trouble. Is this correct that my township can do this?

And in the same situation, say I am hiking, and I accidentally cross into private property... and at that point I am trespassing. Given it is 'OK' to indeed carry a knife, could I be cited for the knife issue since I do have it on me when committing a crime? Or would the knife only be a factor if it was used in the actual crime? I could understand being cited for it if its used to destroy property for example... and I could definitely understand if its used in an assault or worse. Those are no-brainers... but seeing how the law is written to be ambiguous, isn't there that danger since it is up to the discretion of the authorities... even if there was no malevolence involving the knife itself?

The knife laws in NJ are like many of NJ laws regarding weapons. They are open to interpretation. Outside of switchblades, ballistic knives, etc you need to be able to explain you had it for a lawful purpose.

under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for

the fourth degree.

Most pocketknives will not get you in trobule but strap a Bowie on your belt and you better be ready to demonstrate "a lawful purpose".

I think it would depend on what the crime was.

No, it doesn't. Years ago it was clarified by the AG's office. the knife must be an integral part of the crime. Violation of a statute that is considered an Indictable Offense in the state while having a knife on you doesn't satisfy that guideline. The knife, or any other weapon must be used offensively to satisfy the ruling.

and I accidentally cross into private property

You must knowingly enter on to the property of another's to be Trespassing. Walking across an invisable boundry isn't a violation. Knowingly remaining when told youy are on private property is a violation. I don't think that is the case.

On a related note, does anyone know if there are any specific restrictions to knives that are CLIPPED to a pocket in NJ? I wouldn't even think to ask, but apparently, in NYC, there's some sort of "administrative code" that will get you jammed up if you have a knife clipped to a pocket

I have a Leatherman pocket knife, is legal. I was told if the blade is longer than 2 1/2 inches is illegal.

I have a Leatherman pocket knife, is legal. I was told if the blade is longer than 2 1/2 inches is illegal.

Did you read the thread? It's legal until you threaten or stab someone with it.

the fourth degree.

Is a crime of the fourth degree considered a felony?