Sign in to follow this  
Theron

Strange .30-06 experience.

I was shooting my Ruger No. 1 yesterday at 50 yards and the Remington 180 grain cor-lokt seemed to be disintigrating or tumbling before hitting the target as evidenced by targets with the appearance of buckshot hits and lengthwise holes.

Expecting some damage I inspected the bore and it was shiney.

I switched to Remington 125 grain 'managed recoil' and this did not happen so I don't think it is the rifle.

Anyone ever have a similar experience?

I just recently had some pistol ammo tumble that i reloaded, it was at the minimum charge and when i upted the charge the tumble stopped.

some things that make bullets tumble.

1. bullet too loose in bore, bullet diameter too small or worn bore, causing bullet not too spin.

2. twist rate for bullet too slow.

3.the bullet itself is unbalanced.

4. too much crimp on bullet putting it out of balance.

5. ammo was desighned to tumble..

their may be more these are a few i can remember..

I was shooting my Ruger No. 1 yesterday at 50 yards and the Remington 180 grain cor-lokt seemed to be disintigrating or tumbling before hitting the target as evidenced by targets with the appearance of buckshot hits and lengthwise holes.

what powder? what charge?

Thanks for the input.

Bullets were 180 GR. Core-Lokt pointed soft points.

Rifle is new so bore is in minty fresh factory condition. (For what that's worth)

As this phenomena wasn't seen with the 125 Gr. I know not to use this type of ammunition in this rifle.

Now to find other rounds to try out.

That's pretty strange, especially if it was factory ammo. Your rifle's twist rate is 1 turn in 10", which in .30 caliber should be good for stabilizing a 180 gr bullet. Ignoring the shape of the holes, what were your groups like? I only ask because of your comments about disintegrating bullets - that may be an indicator of bullets striking something before they hit the target and ricocheting - ground? target frame? If the gun was zeroed with 125 gr bullets (I would more likely expect these to disintegrate with the faster twist and lighter jacket), the 180's should be shooting higher at that range (heavier recoil/longer barrel dwell time due to lower velocity) although I haven't looked at a ballistic chart to confirm that. If you still have some of that ammo, it would be interesting to shoot it in another rifle with the same twist, for comparison's sake. If you find an answer, please update this thread.

Adios,

Pizza Bob