Sign in to follow this  
usnmars

Gathering interest. CMP road trip spring 2010

I am looking to do a road trip out to the CMP north store this spring. No date yet, but setting it out far enough so we have a chance to save up and pad our bank accounts a little. Would anybody be interested in carpooling and doing a road trip this spring? Once people are show interest, we could work out the details on a specific date. For those of you who dont know how great the CMP is check out this link....

http://www.thecmp.org/northstore.htm

I am looking to do a road trip out to the CMP north store this spring. No date yet, but setting it out far enough so we have a chance to save up and pad our bank accounts a little. Would anybody be interested in carpooling and doing a road trip this spring? Once people are show interest, we could work out the details on a specific date. For those of you who dont know how great the CMP is check out this link....

http://www.thecmp.org/northstore.htm

Wait :hand: Wait :hand: Wait :hand:

Do you mean to tell me that I can DRIVE out there and buy a Garand?!?! Without going through the CMP paperwork???

Oh don't TORTURE me with those racks and racks of carbines!!!!

I believe you still have to show eligibility (club mbr/marksmanship activity/FPID for NJ) to buy a CMP rifle, but check the CMP website or forums for that

When're the national matches for the service type rifles? Summer? maybe up for that---

You have to bring all of your qualifing documents, but you can go and pick out the m1 that you want, and pick up your ammo. Get it the same day, no waiting 3-6 mos. And come spring they will have a bunch more hxp, and some unissued garands.

http://www.odcmp.com/Photos/08/NStore/index.htmDDDDRRRROOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!

ammo will be worth the trip

The ammo is all but gone. Complete the CMP paperwork prior to the trip. If delayed you will be screwed. M-1 Carbines are not available for purchase to a NJ resident.

There are no unissued Garands for sale in either location.

There are no unissued Garands for sale in either location.

Actually there were a bunch in the new shipment the cmp got. They are sorting through all of them , and supposedly going to divide the unissued ones up between north and south so collectors have equal opportunity to get them. They are going to be on the floor in early spring next year. They just recieved a ton of ammo that is big enough to supply the cmp for a couple of years. Right now they are working on pricing and they say it should be available early next year.

http://www.odcmp.org/new_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77927&SearchTerms=unissued,greek

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

Orest made the announcement on the CMP forums last week, that they will be getting in more HXP M2 ball ammo for sale in the Feb-Mar timeframe, and that it would be enought to last quite awhile, possibly years from what he said. I assume there will be limits on purchases, as there are/were in 09, so that it will last.

Actually there were a bunch in the new shipment the cmp got. They are sorting through all of them , and supposedly going to divide the unissued ones up between north and south so collectors have equal opportunity to get them.

I think any unissued Garands will most likely end up in the CMP's auction as has been done in this past.

Be sure you have all the documents before you get out there. Your NJFID card is one of them.

If you don't fit into one of the club affliations (which include VFW, American Legion and many others) you can join the Garand Collector's Association which counts for $25 I think.

I use my NFID and military id card which covers:

club affliation.............US Army Reserve

Firearms Training........military

proof of age..............dob on card

proof of citizenship.....commissioned officer

An advantage to going to the store is you can pick out a nice field grade and save a little money. If you go on a saturday it will be crowded moreso if they have new stuff on the floor. I've always went on a weekday and at most there were 4-5 other people in the store.

A disadvantage of going to the store is they may not have what you are looking for and you made the trip for nothing.

I'm not afraid of it.. I just don't have enough practice because I've ever only shot my father's rifle a few times. I wouldn't yet be comfortable taking it hunting or anything involving more than target shooting.

You are more than welcome to try mine out if you want some handling time. If I ever get a chance to attend a meetup, I will bring it along.

I'm not afraid of it.. I just don't have enough practice because I've ever only shot my father's rifle a few times. I wouldn't yet be comfortable taking it hunting or anything involving more than target shooting.

You are more than welcome to try mine out if you want some handling time. If I ever get a chance to attend a meetup, I will bring it along.

Thanks! I could just borrow my dad's too :D We live in the same house.

If you load it PROPERLY by blading your hand so that the side of your palm is in contact with the charging handle that won't happen.

The bolt slams down on your thumb when you place the clip in the receiver. While it takes a bit of practice to do it properly and safely, you really have to work on it to get that seriously injured. You actually stand a better chance while cleaning or reassembling the rifle.

Thanks! I could just borrow my dad's too :D We live in the same house.

Ha! I guess that is a little more convenient!!

Good news...

I just received this from the CMP:

MORE .30-06 HXP AMMO SOON: The CMP has been successful in acquiring another large quantity of HXP .30-06 ammo. We expect delivery in Jan 2010 and should have the ammo ready for sale by Feb or Mar. Until we actually receive and inspect the ammo, we will not know what packaging configurations will be available, but expect them to be the same as we have had for the past few years. We do not yet know what our final cost will be. We do know that the quantity is large enough to satisfy our customer needs for several years. We will not accept any pre-orders or establish a waiting list. Thanks for your support and patience.

WOO HOOO! quoted from Orest on the CMP forum. AMMO IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

"ammo is no longer on a ship. It has been offloaded at the U.S. Port and is now held up by the USDA because they found snails on one of the containers. As a result, each shipping container must be inspected and fumigated if needed. We expect this will delay the ammo by another 2-3 weeks"