Kerouac32

South Jersey Shooting Club Question

hey guys, i've been looking to join a range and the south jersey shooting club is close to me and has everything i am looking for. however, i have a question... i drove past once and found that the gate was open so i stopped in and walked around. very clean and i liked what i saw. i walked under the enclosure for the rifle range and sat down at one of the benches. it is then that i noticed lumber blocking my vision from ceiling to about halfway down. why is there wood blocking my vision? i've never seen that before at any range. you can actually see the lower piece of wood has some holes in it from missed shots. i had to basically lay all they way forward on the bench with my pretend rifle in hand before i could see down-range. could someone that is a member there explain to me why this is there...and, has it been a hindrance for them...

http://www.sjerseyshootingclub.com/photos.htm <<

thanks.

jason

I also live in Washington (542). One of the main reasons I haven't/wont join South Jersey is the issue that you mention. You basically have to shoot bench long arm because of the restrictive ceiling. Where as I prefer to shoot standing, TETO I guess.

The wall prevents you from shooting over the berm. It is not as bad as you observed. You are allowed to shoot prone. I believe a 9 inch bipod will allow you to acquire the targets. The other ranges have different height walls and some do not have any.

• Like 1

I thought it might be a sunshade but Paul's explanation makes more sense.

Paul, New Jersey is nuts! Where else can you have at least three Washingtons, three Franklins, Two Dovers, two Berkeley and many more duplications between towns, townships, boroughs etc.

Jason,

I shoot there pretty often.

I never came across any issues or problems while using any of the ranges.

The holes you sometimes see in the wood come from missed shots while people are sighting in their rifles.

You can also walk down range from the 300 yard line, and set up and shoot,

If the others there on that 300 yd line agree too also.(for example you want to shoot at 200 yards, or 150 yards)

This is a nice place, with good people, never any issues or problems.

To answer your question about the wood planks: I can promise you the wood does not block your vision while sitting at the benches provided.

I can sit and shoot for hours without any problem and everything works just fine.

Try it and you will see for yourself, go with someone and spend a few hours shooting... you will like it there!

Regards,

Bill

yeah i think that's a little ridiculous to limit the shooter like that right off the bat. other than that the place was nice. where are you a member, totalabuse?

As Paul has said and as it was explained to me, it's a safety issue. There's a golf course or condos or whatever beyond the target end. Did the club house ever get built or is there running water yet?

I am a member of the totalabuse proving grounds 8-)

i live in the washington twp. in gloucester county, a lot of people refer to it as turnersville or sewell.

thanks bill, your info helped out a lot. i'd like to get down there and give it a try. thing is, i don't know any members. i drove past again today but the gate was closed and i didn't see anyone around.

Hey Bill,

I live in Cherry Hill and have been thinking of joining that club as well. I called to see if I could "try it out". The guy I talked to was like "come in for orientation and then pay your dues". I asked if I could shoot and pay a fee for the day to see if I liked it and he told me no, that I either joined or not. If you are heading out one day I would love to tag along as a guest if you don't mind. If interested in a tag a long, email me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance,

Dan