sparny524

Defensive Shotgun Build

I'm looking to build a shotgun for run&guns/defensive purposes. I'm not looking to break the bank but I'll spend the extra bucks on quality, I like the extended tube (NJ Legal?), 18.5" barrel (of course), ghost ring sights, pistol grip, and weapon light system. I'm debating if I should: A. get a used 870 or mossy 500 and modify it -or- B. get a new Mossy 590, and customize -or- C. keep my eyes open for someone's HD gun for sale. Any advice/ heads up/ or "dude, been there not worth it" would be appreciated. Pics are nice too for inspiration :D Thanks!

I'd go with a mossy 590 (middle one below), it already comes with ghost ring sights, bbl is a little bit longer at 20" but barely noticeable, and it gives you an extra round in the tube. Most come with the speedfeed stock for an added 4 rounds.

shotguns.jpg

590.jpg

I am partial to the tang safety of a Mossberg. Having used both the 870 and 590 in heavy use and not always the best conditions they will both serve you well. If you plan on a pistol grip stock, go with the 870. The safety is easier to manipulate. All what you prefer.

chris....7+1 is absolutely more than enough...I just enjoy a 80lb gun with 4 in the stock, 6 on the side, and 8 in the tube! lol

I gotta agree with Tim on the tang safety....especially for a lefty like myself.

I do agree on the safety.

I'd go with a mossy 590 (middle one below), it already comes with ghost ring sights, bbl is a little bit longer at 20" but barely noticeable, and it gives you an extra round in the tube. Most come with the speedfeed stock for an added 4 rounds.

shotguns.jpg

590.jpg

Chad, i just wanted to add as a point of clarification.. not all 590's come with Ghost Ring Sights, there like 6 or 8 different models. Mine has just a bead.

I just put together a New England Firearms Pardner Pump 12ga setup. The firearm is well made believe it or not, and hefty which I like in a HD shotgun.

It's basically an H&R clone of the 870.

6+1, can handle 2.75 and 3 (reduced capacity though), and was like $220 out the door.

I added a 4 shell side saddle and a tritium front sight as well as a Streamlight TRL-1 tactical light side mounted.

For what it has, it was very very easy on the wallet.

You really can't go wrong with an 870, 500, or 590. All of them have a lot of aftermarket parts available. All of them have a reputation for reliability. I went with a Mossberg mostly because of the safety.

Cr@ppy pics, but it's a 18.5" 590A1 (I don't need a bayonet on a shotgun :lol: ) with some mods (shorter stock, sidesaddle, sling plate, larger safety, +2 extension)

file.php?id=520

file.php?id=521

shotguns.jpg

whats that small one all the way to the left?

As long as the bbl is 18.5" and the over all length is at least 26" you are good to go. Short shotguns like that are not a good choice for home protection tho in my opinion.

why do you say that?

is bbl the barrel length

http://www.mossberg.com/products/defaul ... n=products

if so does this look like the shortest nj legal?

As long as the bbl is 18.5" and the over all length is at least 26" you are good to go. Short shotguns like that are not a good choice for home protection tho in my opinion.

why do you say that?

is bbl the barrel length

Pistol grip shotguns are harder to aim, its more like point, and harder to recover from your shots for a follow up.

Since we're posting pictures and I'm the one voting for the 870 - :lol:

IMG_1959.jpg

Here's Mine! I have the Mossberg Maverick 88 security with a Mossberg Heat Shield and Authentic Mossberg carbon-fiber grip. The Pistol grip shotgun is effective if you know how to shoot it. The full synthetic is better to use if space permits. I use both when I go to the range and overall efficiency is best with the full stock. You just have to practice no matter what you choose to go with.

newestdefense002.jpg

why do you say that?

is bbl the barrel length

Yes, BBL is short for Barrel. The link you posted for the mossberg JIC is NJ Legal.