Pew Pew Plates

AK "zigzag" brake legality?

Hello,

I am very familiar with NJs AWB (unfortunatly). I know that a welded on brake is OK, and any flash hider is BAD BAD!

Anyways, im perhaps purchasing a bulgarian AK74 clone. Im wondering if I should keep the brake(welded of course), or ditch it. I know that it is designed as a brake but im wondering if it would be mis construed as a flash hider of sorts.

http://www.krebscustom.com/AK74Brake.jpg

thats the brake style in question. It directs the gas up, down, and to the sides. The 2 big cuts direct the gasses up and to the sides.

Any solid facts on this?

Anything can be misconstrued as anything. You'll probably have to talk to less-informed people who tell you your rifle itself is illegal.

If you want the extra confidence, buy a break that has been tested by the ATF and classified as a Muzzle Break only.

Anything can be misconstrued as anything. You'll probably have to talk to less-informed people who tell you your rifle itself is illegal.

If you want the extra confidence, buy a break that has been tested by the ATF and classified as a Muzzle Break only.

QFT!

I've never read anything anywhere calling that device a flash hider, it certainly doesn't work like one nor was it meant to. During the AWB Bushmaster was putting 74 style breaks on ar's.

The AK-74 devise you have there is a compensator, it was designed to keep the muzzle down on FA fire.

A flash hider opens up at the end and looses the diameter of the bullet, a compensator does not. I use these

on all my AK's and have purchased oneAK from a local NJ shop with one. They are 100% legal, there is no list of named

parts that are legal or illegal only the description. The 74 compensator does not fit the description of a flash hider.