crazyboy

Pimp my ar

Ok, not exactly. I'm starting to research a little on some accessories for the AR. Currently I have a Bushmaster XM15 mostly stock with the exception of a tri rail around the front sight and a single point sling. So far for accessories I'm thinking of mounting rails on the hand guards, a folding vertical grip or maybe a grippod instead?, light either a g2 or tlr1, and on the top end a cowitness "z" carry handle mount with an eotech on it. I want to make sure this wont be too tacticool and still be functional. In addition I would like input on different brands/models of each item, and any input. Thanks a lot!

I have always preferred simplicity over burdening the system myself... so, my only suggestion is maybe:

Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 Rail free float handguards: http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop ... uct_id=109

These will help extend the upper portion of your rail system, especially because you're considering a carry handle mount (this would allow you to possibly place the EOTech on the rails instead of necessarily on the carry handle mount if you chose too). It will also allow flexibility on the other rails for other attachments, like the grip and lights.

Weight should be one of your top priorities. As bbk said, loading down the system with a ton of accessories takes away one of the M4gery's top assets, it's low weight.

That being said, grip-pods are heavy, and I found folding vertical grips to be uncomfortable and in the way when folded. If you want a vertical grip (make sure you try one out before you buy an expensive one, some people do not find them natural) start with a simple broomstick or shorty. They are light weight, simple, and cheap.

I second the DD Omega 7 rail as a good choice. You may not want to have too much hanging off the front sight post, as this is unwanted weight on the barrel, and it would effect the resonance of the barrel on each shot (maybe not noticeably, but every lit bit of inherent accuracy helps). The DD rail would let you put whatever you had on the front sight post and move it to the free floated rail, which does not affect barrel resonance.

Your Bushmaster has a fixed carry handle on it? I won't be able to help much on the co-witness side, since my ARs all have flattops. I'm sure the Z mount you're referring too will help you get it the way you want.

Regarding eotech, I personally don't like them. I found them to have too much going on in my sight picture, and also I have an astigmatism in both eyes, and the recticle of the eotech are constantly blurry. That is why I went with an Aimpoint, simple, clear sight picture, and one dot to look for.

I have an TLR-1 on a pistol, and it works pretty well on the AR platform. I've tried a G2 mounted to the rail and like that as well. I personally don't feel pressure switches are necessary, but some people swear by them. Depending on vertical grip placement and the type of vertical grip you use, pressure switches may not even be an option, or they may be required.

All that being said, do what makes you happy and what you like :!: . It's not worth spending the money on anything you won't use. Everything on my M4gery was based on weight (Sully stock aside) and my findings after trying out a bunch of alternatives. Either way, good luck and have fun ;)

:twocents-02cents:

When I started "Project AR Beautification" this time last year, I had some of the same ideas you did. First, I got an EOtech 512, love that sight. Tough as nails, LIGHTING target acquisition, and open sight picture (unlike a tube). Second, I got cheapy rails made by UTG from cheaper than dirt. They are not he lightest rails out there, but they are solid! A buddy of mine (who is a SWAT officer) handled my AR and loved these rails. He has YMT rails and doesn't like how they fit on his Colt Commando. Cheap too

I'm going purely cheap, lightweight, and utilitarian in my build.

[optional] ACE Skeleton Stock, Magpul grip with [optional] CR123 battery core (for lights and optics), [optional] Magpul MOE handguard, YHM hooded front sight/gas block, [optional] YHM BUIS, and a YHM muzzle brake (I need to remove my A2 sight post as it is).

I also devised a long term plan to build/finance it.

Step 1: Send the upper to ADCO to install YHM flip up front sight and YHM muzzle brake.

Step 2: Buy YHM BUIS

Step 3: Buy Trijicon tritium sights.

Step 4: MOE Handguards.

Step 5: ACE Skeleton Stock

Step 6: Buy an optic

Step 7: Buy a light and rails for MOE handguard.

Since I'm a government worker, projected time of completion is 75 years, at a cost of $3B.

I really never understood why civilians, or former military, like to supe up their ARs. Unless your job unofficially requires you to have all the gizmos, why would you want all that added weight? I started out with an ACOG, PEQ-2, Surefire, grip-pod on an M4. By the end of one deployment, I stripped my rifle of everything and slapped the iron sights back on it. All that weight got annoying and unecessary. I'm actually more accurate with iron sights anyway.

As a civilian, you, and I, will not be raiding urban areas or taking the beach. One thing you might want to look at is changing the furniture to something lighter and more comfortable. That is about as high-end as I would go. Buy yourself a nice Remington and a scope. There is much more utility in spending your hard earned money doing that, than buying fancy equipment that you will never need.

Sorry, I didn't think that a grip, sight, and light would really be weighing down the rifle and surface my hidden gene to put everything on the front of the rifle. I'm actually looking forward to the magpul angled for grip than a vertical grip, it just seems more natural.

Whats wrong with wanting to add accessories ? I have all kinds of stuff on my guns. Perhaps the reason why we would add stuff is specifically because we are not in the military, or law enforcement, and really don't give a crap about weight. We're not toting the thing around all the time, so who cares?

It looks cool, it serves a purpose, and we can do what we want. Might not be everyone's cup 'o tea, but for what its worth, I like it and I think you should do whatever you want. Its YOUR gun, no one elses.

Have any of you seen any photo threads on ar15.com? 99% of those guys are not law enforcement or military....they just like cool rifles. ;)

:twocents-02cents:

Haha exactly. If you put one damn thing on your black rifle, you will spend eternity in hell. Listen, the great thing about an AR is that it is a BLANK CANVAS. Personalize the hell out of that thing if you want to. Now, concerning the weight of the weapon.... it's called Firepower vs. Mobility. I would rather have the ability (firepower) to shoot in all sorts of scenarios thanks to my accessories and just suck up the weight (mobility) which in the grand spectrum of things... is not that much. If it is, get a gym membership :lol: All jokes aside... it's YOUR gun, do what you want, don't let the naysayers affect you

Hehe. I knew I would end up offending some people. I just look more for functionality than how something looks. Of course, if your prerogative is to modify the heck out of your rifle, than let no one stop you. IMO though, it just seems a waste of money. But, I guess you can say that for any collector, hobbyist, or aficionado, which is absolutely not the case. I have inserted foot in mouth.

Hehe. I knew I would end up offending some people. I just look more for functionality than how something looks. Of course, if your prerogative is to modify the heck out of your rifle, than let no one stop you. IMO though, it just seems a waste of money. But, I guess you can say that for any collector, hobbyist, or aficionado, which is absolutely not the case. I have inserted foot in mouth.

Hey, I agree. That's why my step by step upgrades are comfortable for me. It gives me a lot of flexibility while also giving me control over what and how much I add.

As others mentioned above, it's users' choice. But the use of the rifle comes into mind... Those rifles used in home defense, they could stand to use night sights and a light. An EOtech wouldn't hurt either, only because those things are very expensive.

Sorry, I didn't think that a grip, sight, and light would really be weighing down the rifle and surface my hidden gene to put everything on the front of the rifle. I'm actually looking forward to the magpul angled for grip than a vertical grip, it just seems more natural.

All those items aren't bad, but they will add weight. If you have something that weighs as much as an M40A3 it will be hard maintaining that sight picture in the standing, especially being front heavy. That angled grip just might work out for you. I never felt comfortable with a vertical fore grip neither. I just used the magazine well/magazine. Felt more balanced that way.

I am a mag well shooter as well. I have tried forward grips amd find them very uncomfortable. I was lucky enough to have a M60 A1, not the Rambo gripped A3. But to each their own. My only concern would be taking a lightweight Home Defense Weapon and making it just the opposite.

I agree that any individual should do what ever they believe is best for their rifle... democracy at work right?! Haha, jokes aside, everybody has their own personal preferences. I think this is a good topic because we're all spit-balling ideas of how to better optimize a system.

Personally, I got a little extra this month, and I think I'm going to finally get all the parts I've been missing for my AR.

- DD Omega Rail 7.0

- Sully stock

- single point sling attachment mount & new sling (undecided on exactly which one)

- front and rear folding sights (undecided again)

- maybe a secondary optic... possibly the DMS-1 w/ mount

Personally, I got a little extra this month, and I think I'm going to finally get all the parts I've been missing for my AR.

- DD Omega Rail 7.0

- Sully stock

- single point sling attachment mount & new sling (undecided on exactly which one)

- front and rear folding sights (undecided again)

- maybe a secondary optic... possibly the DMS-1 w/ mount

I like it!

I may be the odd man out here, but, anyone that has seen my ARs knows I'm a fan of rails. I have 12" Daniel Defense rails on both my ARs. But, I have rather longish arms for my frame, so, I like my support hand to be far out on the gun. A magwell grip feels awkward to me. I'm also a believer in lights at the 12o'clock position at the front of the AR. I'm still deciding if I need a vfg. I have stubby vfg's now, but I find myself wrapping my thumb over the top rail, and ignoring the vfg from time to time.

So, while my ARs may look like I have every doohicky attached, in my mind, I have the things I NEED on there. A red dot, a light, a place for a sling, and enough rail space for me to get my support hand way out there.

But, the best part of putting together an AR is the trial and error. Not everything you try is going to work. That's what the marketplace is for ;) I say build it however you want, and if it doesn't work, try something else.

I may be the odd man out here, but, anyone that has seen my ARs knows I'm a fan of rails. I have 12" Daniel Defense rails on both my ARs. But, I have rather longish arms for my frame, so, I like my support hand to be far out on the gun. A magwell grip feels awkward to me. I'm also a believer in lights at the 12o'clock position at the front of the AR. I'm still deciding if I need a vfg. I have stubby vfg's now, but I find myself wrapping my thumb over the top rail, and ignoring the vfg from time to time.

So, while my ARs may look like I have every doohicky attached, in my mind, I have the things I NEED on there. A red dot, a light, a place for a sling, and enough rail space for me to get my support hand way out there.

But, the best part of putting together an AR is the trial and error. Not everything you try is going to work. That's what the marketplace is for ;) I say build it however you want, and if it doesn't work, try something else.

Thanks

Nice! And a bonus nice for having sheets on your bed, and no nasty ugly feet with over grown toenails in the shot! :D

haha thanks, im still in school so mommy takes care of that, feet included :oops:

Nothing wrong with that bud! Milk it for as long as you can...you'll miss it when it's gone!

IMG_3747.jpg

stock is pinned and so is the mag before anyone says anything. To each his own but i built this this one as I shot it and picked out the things that bothered me then changed them

Kwin

That is a nice rifle you have there.

OP,

Less is more sometimes. This is one of those times. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Learn to work really effectively with what you have and you will be more than adequate for any task at hand. A lot of the crap being sold as "accessories" adds weight and litle else. That being said, it's your rifle so knock yourself out.

FWIW

YMMV