davisac

Muzzle Devices...

...for an already threaded barrel. What would you put on your rifle to make it NJ legal? I just moved to NJ from PA and need to "fix" my AR. I really like the PWS FSC556 but $95 is a little too much for me right now (college). What are your thoughts on a thread protector from ADCO? I was concerned that this wouldn't be able to be removed if I move back to PA in the future (not sure if true). Thank you for your help.

It has to be a permanently mounted preventing access to the threads. Most people will blind pin and weld the break on. Anything can be un-done.. but it probably wouldn't be cost effective.

For the love of god, move back to PA!

LOL, jk.. welcome to the forum!

I was told yesterday in a gun shope that if you remove the flash suppressor and then just place a thread cap on the

end it does not have to be pinned or welded and it's perfectly legal, if you choose to put a compensator on it then it needs to be pinned, not sure how true this is but I know that sig pistols are threaded, semi auto and have detachable mag's and they can have the thread protectors on them so it makes sense.

I was told yesterday in a gun shope that if you remove the flash suppressor and then just place a thread cap on the

end it does not have to be pinned or welded and it's perfectly legal, if you choose to put a compensator on it then it needs to be pinned, not sure how true this is but I know that sig pistols are threaded, semi auto and have detachable mag's and they can have the thread protectors on them so it makes sense.

I'm pretty sure Sig 556 pistols are too heavy to be NJ legal so the threaded barrel wouldn't matter at that point?

I'm pretty sure Sig 556 pistols are too heavy to be NJ legal so the threaded barrel wouldn't matter at that point?

No I meant regular pistols like the sig misquito and there is a H&K I saw yesterday with a threaded barrel.

No I meant regular pistols like the sig misquito and there is a H&K I saw yesterday with a threaded barrel.

The pistol doesn't have a magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip I think that would be the difference.

I will probably perm. mount a thread protector but I wanted to check for inexpensive muzzle brakes I won't regret perm. attaching (too much).

ii. A semi-automatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at

least two of the following:

(1) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(2) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor,

forward handgrip, or silencer;

(3) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles the barrel and

that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being

burned;

(4) Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and/or

(5) A semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm; and

Good question. NJ law states no threaded barrels on semi-auto rifles.

However the office of the NJ AG's office does not offer any guidelines on how to permanently attach a brake to be legal.

Most follow the Federal pre 2004 guideline by either welding and pinning or silver soldering.

Is this 100% legal in NJ? No one for sure knows or want's to be the test case.

PS. Welcome to NJ!!!

However the office of the NJ AG's office does not offer any guidelines on how to permanently attach a brake to be legal.

Most follow the Federal pre 2004 guideline by either welding and pinning or silver soldering.

PS. Welcome to NJ!!!

Well, its the number of features that count on a semi-auto rifle that takes detachable mags. Like the M1A/M14, the threaded barrel is the one evil feature. I guess if you got one of those messed up California AR's, you could have a threaded barrel. (with the Fixed mag and No pistol grip)

PS. Welcome to NJ!!!

Well, its the number of features that count on a semi-auto rifle that takes detachable mags. Like the M1A/M14, the threaded barrel is the one evil feature. I guess if you got one of those messed up California AR's, you could have a threaded barrel. (with the Fixed mag and No pistol grip)

I understand that. I was speaking of the attachment part of a muzzle brake in NJ.