Steve1971

Restrict magazine Marlin 60

outer tube + follower are different - you can replace the parts easily depending on what model variation you have - search rimfirecentral.com marlin 60 forum for complete details -

First of all I like to thank everybody for their replies.

It is a 17 shot magazine, but with the action fully closed 1 round goes straight into the lower elevator. Note sure if NJ would classify the magazine as an 18 round so I elected to call it an 18 round magazine.

I called Marlin and they do not have an inner magazine tube that would restrict the capacity to 15 rounds or nor could they offer any other solution.

So far I have cut down the inner and outer magazine tubes as much as possible, up to the magazine ring that connects the outer magazine tube to the barrel. To limit the magazine to 15 rounds (including one in the lower elevator with action fully closed), I had to put a plug into the inner magazine tube. Technically, this is not allowed by NJ law.

Question now is, will crimping the inner magazine tube so that the follower in the inner magazine tube will not go up far enough in the tube to allow more than 15 round to be loaded be sufficient to avoid any legal issues in NJ.

for the answers go to ( rimfirecentral .com ) click on marlin forum , than model 60 sub forum - there is a search feature that will answer all your magazine questions -

That's funny, when the law went into effect, I got a "Jersey Tube" from Marlin , Its limited to 14 rounds. Now they don't have them anymore? I would call back, and get another person, on the line....They should have them, I believe the tubes were the same size, just the internal part of the tube would be different. I had the 18 rd tube and the 14 rd tube side by side, and there was no difference in size....

I pinned one for a freind

lined up 15 rounds along side and marked it then drilled a hole I worked the pin on the flat part of my vice with a small ball peen hammer slowly,, a little on each side then took a file and cleaned it up .

works fine

I was thinking about making a larger plunger on the lathe but never go around to it

Sorry it took me so long to post my solution.

I shortened the outer and inner magazine tube and crimped the inner magazine tube to restrict the movement of the follower to allow the magazine to be loaded with max. 14 rounds.

Here is a short step by step.

Remove the inner magazine tube.

remove split pin that holds the outer magazine tube.

Cut of about 1 inch from the outer magazine from the end facing the receiver.

remove same length from the inner magazine tube

Sorry it took me so long to post my solution.

I shortened the outer and inner magazine tube and crimped the inner magazine tube to restrict the movement of the follower to allow the magazine to be loaded with max. 14 rounds. After studying the NJ law a bit more I believe I could have gotten away with crimping the inner tube alone. Better safe than sorry is my advice.

Here is a short step by step what I did to change a assault rifle into a harmless plinker.

1. Remove the inner magazine tube.

2. Remove pin that holds the outer magazine tube.

3. Cut of about 1 inch from the outer magazine from the end that connects to the receiver.

4. Remove the end cap of the inner magazine tube by driving out the pin.

5. Remove magazine spring and follower.

6. Remove same length from the inner magazine tube but this time from the end facing the muzzle.

7. Drill a hole in the inner magazine tube for the pin that secures the end cap.

8. Measure the space that 14 .22LR rounds and follower take up in the inner magazine tube and mark the spot.

9. Insert the follower in the tube and ensure it drops all the way down. Also make sure the follower is inserted correctly because this will be the last time you will see it outside the magazine tube.

10. Crimp the inner magazine tube at the marked spot (see step 8). Tip: use a pipe cutter (sell’s for a couple of bucks at any DYI store) and change out the cutting wheel for a washer.

11. I also lowered the loading port so that the top of the 14th round can be seen.

Let me know if you need more details.

I believe you would still have a NJ banned assault rifle by using 22LR's as your gauge to cut down the tube. You can still get more than 15 short rounds loaded into the gun. :hang: I quote Nappen & Gilberts NJ Gun Law Guide. Assault fire arms, Page 19, Item III, "A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds". Therefore, and I don't know how many factually, more than 15 shorts will fit into that modified tube, but I would err on the side of caution. Thank you post #20 for the process to shorten this magazine as I am helping a out of state "friend" with her Model 60 :no:

I suggest anyone who owns guns in NJ to purchase Nappen and Gilberts book. I bought mine at a "Friends of the NRA" dinner last fall and it is very informative.

http://www.evannappen.com/gun-law-books.html

And no I do not work for him or his firm, I'm just trying to help my fellow Americans. What's left of us.

To clarify my above post as far as erring on the side of caution, I would make sure the gun could only hold 15 total rounds, not just the magazine. IE: 14 short rounds in the tube and 1 in the chamber. I believe that there is the potential for a incompentent person of the judiciary to rule 15+1 still constitutes an assault rifle.

Is it me or is the disscussion pertaining to this particular gun just utter nonsense?

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

How much of the gun do I have to take apart to find that? I have the stock removed now. I am new to gun ownership, thank our current administration, and have never cleaned a weapon.

BTW I'm a new, (non range for now), member a Cherry Ridge.

Rich

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

How much of the gun do I have to take apart to find that? I have the stock removed now. I am new to gun ownership, thank our current administration, and have never cleaned a weapon.

BTW I'm a new, (non range for now), member a Cherry Ridge.

Rich

My father in law has a JC higgins which is a rebranded marlin. I don't have it here but I recall it was marked 22 short-long-long rifle on the barrel, just forward of the receiver, left side of the gun.

My old Marlin says long rifle only. I have a picture of that somewhere.

Found it. Yep, it says 22LR only.

Does this mean that a 22 short will not work in this rifle?

But the 64K question, or 18 mos.in the pen, regardless whether or not the rounds can be fired from the rifle, does this violate NJ's 15 round limit? I guess the best solution would be to get the right magazine from marlin.

Thanks again.

Found it. Yep, it says 22LR only.

Does this mean that a 22 short will not work in this rifle?

But the 64K question, or 18 mos.in the pen, regardless whether or not the rounds can be fired from the rifle, does this violate NJ's 15 round limit? I guess the best solution would be to get the right magazine from marlin.

Thanks again.

If it says LR only, it's LR only. If it can only fit 14 long rifle, it's legal. It won't feed shorts properly, they don't have enough oomph to cycle the action properly. They may also get jammed up in the elevator.

Marlin made replacement tubes that are legal, not sure how possible it is to obtain them.

If I recall correctly on my first "60" assault rifle you could squeeze

21 rounds of shorts, but it would not cycle ,you would manually eject

,if it did not jamb.

if I still had it I would have sold it out of state,and bought a new one (still cost under $200.00)

I have a new 50th anniversary 60 and a 795 (10rd mag) and both are great

I use cci blazer lr exclusively. no FTF jambs ect.

Question.

If you have a tube fed .22lr like a Marlin 60, that was for example, not stamped .22lr only, and held no more than 15 .22lr, but did hold more than 15 shorts, however it would NOT cycle any .22 short, so required manual operation, would it be legal?

The statue states "more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm".

I have my assumptions, just wondering other's thoughts.

Question.

If you have a tube fed .22lr like a Marlin 60, that was for example, not stamped .22lr only, and held no more than 15 .22lr, but did hold more than 15 shorts, however it would NOT cycle any .22 short, so required manual operation, would it be legal?

The statue states "more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm".

I have my assumptions, just wondering other's thoughts.

Not sure, but I would think that either the owners manual would have to state 22LR only or not good for 22 shorts if not on the rifle, but don't know for sure.