tony357

Terrorist groups.

could be - seems that whenever there is an anti gun administration mass shootings seem to increase drastically - the economy + political climate now have many parallels to the 1930's germany + italy -

Short answer is no; long answer is maybe.

As an individual cell, the main priority for terrorists is to spread a political/ideological message through fear, as everyone knows. Beyond that message, there is nothing else to gain, or that really could be gained by their actions. Further, these types of groups consist of "normal looking" individuals. While we may depict them as evil, slinky, pointy-teethed demons, they're "normality" allows them accessibility; whether that is purchasing firearms in states with less restrictive standards or getting materials needed for destructive devices.

Long answer is maybe because a group can be "hired" by another nation to conduct terror sprees that target specific things to cause certain events to unfold. This is known simply as a proxy war, and is conducted or has been conducted by almost every nation at one point. So, for example, say Iran, hired thugs to disrupt certain institutions and ways of life in the US... such as making it more restrictive to purchase firearms or damage critical infrastructure (industrial, roads, etc) to make it easier for an eventual invasion (I know, it couldn't happen as it currently stands, just theoretical)... then yes, terrorism could be used in that manner, though at that point it would be acts of war and not so much terrorism.

I agree with you BBK, I just see this as one of their tools, since they do not have their own so too speak they figure out how to use ours. The world trades center for example..they figure how to use our own infastructure against ourselves.

Terrorists will do anything to disrupt, but most of all, they want people to know "they did it", not a random act by some nut-cases. This creates fear and that's their goal.

Terrorists causing gun bans - I don't think so. On the contrary, this could (theoretically) help the cause of gun freedoms. (Of course, there will be stupid people who would rather outlaw guns so only criminals will have them ... that's a never ending topic.)

On a positive note, Americans are well armed as a whole and that's a good thing. What better way to help prevent terrorist acts than tapping into this "large pool of potential armed guards"!? Granted most people (including me) owning guns aren't trained for this type of stuff, but with some training most can assist police and military if called upon. We need people like FDR now to make bold decisions (and screw political correctness), but alas that's wishful thinking ...

On the home front, industrial (and infrastructure) terrorism is one of the greatest dangers, and this has bothered me most, since it's very difficult to prevent. For example, of all the goods that come through NJ ship ports (e.g., Elizabeth sea port), only a small fraction is inspected for risky cargo, origin, etc. This is not a secret - you can simply google it to find the facts. A lot needs to be done to plug these holes. There is too much other s**t that's exposed and unprotected. Just recently it was discovered that UAV drone's transmission was tapped into! :shock: How's that!? After the fact, we are going to (doh!) encrypt the video transmission! :oops: Domestic intelligence and action plans need beefing up ASAP.

On the international front ...

It's Pakistan's ISI that's harboring terrorists lashkar-e-taiba within Pakistan's borders (!), yet we are focusing mostly on Afghanistan for terrorists! (Yes, I am sure al qaeda/ Taliban / Terrorists are there too.) But, Pakistan as our ally!? This is absurd. :shock: That's misguided - money is being wasted (siphoned off) with abandon, with little chance of success. Yes, I am all for supporting our troops, but this is blind leading the blind. We should focus our energies and resources (money) on the home front first. In the meantime, cut-off cash aid to Pakistan, because that same cash is being used against us. Fix the border to south. It's a sieve that allows not only illegals, but is an easy entry route for terrorists. Seriously, consider partnership with India ... certainly has willingness. Read lashkar-e-taiba!!

I have more to say, but hey that's for the next edition ...

Eh, the thing about domestic counter-terrorism is that most of it is not known... which is the point of classified information, right? So, while mass media and uneducated officials may comment on things like the "lack of security" for things like the US ports, the information is not accurate.

While I cannot disclose any information myself, rest assured that every precaution is taken to protect every asset to the US-- especially in our backyard. The thing about classified intelligence is that for the most part, *what* is going on is not classified. Its *how* the US is going about with their intelligence operations that is highly classified. We all know measures are taken to prevent terrorism on US soil, but how the IC goes about doing that won't be declassified for at least 70+ years or until everyone involved is dead.

Now the fact that a good number of ports in the US are owned by private foreign companies that basically represent their home nation... well, that is bothersome.

As for Pakistan, it seems like relations are getting better. That can change rapidly of course, but the right steps by the Pakistanis have been taken... such as Musharraf stepping down as the military commander (splitting some of the power) in the past, as well as the decision to not go to war with India... or even not getting PO'ed at the US for the constant "covert" drone attacks on Pakistani soil (though, I could imagine the US and Pakistan worked out a deal to let this happen).

People have to realize that if Pakistan falters, and becomes a failed state, it is going to rapidly bring the entire region down and make things really bad internationally. As it is, Pakistan is corrupt, that's obvious. The money that is suppose to go to helping rebuild the nation is wasted by corrupt officials and military leaders (which probably funds some terrorist groups). The economy is nonexistent, factored in with issues like the skewed male-female ratio (7:1 I believe); as well as the 16-25 age group consists of roughly 60% of the population... there are a lot of young, bored people. This is the group that the fundamentalist extremists prey on... add in the fact that Islam is having a revivalism in the region... its just a powder keg waiting to blow.

The US has addressed some of the corruption, and threatened to stop giving Pakistan aid if they didn't have more accountability-- though I could imagine its not necessarily working too well. However, on the flip side, we let the region fail, the number of Islamic terrorists is going to balloon exponentially... we're talking about a 300-400% increase in a matter of weeks, if not days. It won't so much be cells; instead you're looking at complete armies. Then you're looking at an increased number world-wide (as their confidence would be emboldened). A possible coup similar to what happened in Iran, except Pakistan already has nuclear weapons. Possible alliances in the region that would aim to get rid of the Zionists, and possibly an attack on India. The number of extremists would also rise in South Asia, and you could be looking at a spread through the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, etc.

That's only that region. What would happen globally thereafter, well, could be catastrophic.

Eh, sorry for going off on a tangent.

I might agree with you,but if they are going to use anything worth while, it will be the media.

If you control the media, you control the populace. Orson Wells did a skit back in the day,

War of the Worlds....on radio, and look what happened. So you are probably right, plant a seed, then nurture it through media.

And on a happy note ICE has announced that starting January they are going to stop detaining people who claim political asylum. This is correct the department that was/is one of the biggest failure before or since 9-11 has now decided to let all who seek asylum go on the promise they will return for a hearing !!! If you would like more information please follow this link.

http://www.fairus.org/site/News2?page=N ... trl=1721#4

Thanks Eddie

This is correct the department that was/is one of the biggest failure before or since 9-11 has now decided to let all who seek asylum go on the promise they will return for a hearing !!!

You can't blame the agents for the policies that the appointed officials come out with. The agents would just as soon go out and round up anyone they could. There are several big problems that the merge of Customs and INS caused. The biggest was they took the investigative functions ,Customs Office of Investigations and INS Investigations, and formed ICE and put the inspectional functions of Customs and INS into CBP (and threw in the Border Patrol and Air and Marine Branches of Customs). This is the same as having the patrol and detecive divisions of a police department in two diffrent agencies.

The Customs Service was a pretty well run machine. Problems? Sure but one of the better run Federal agencies. INS had maintained it's reputation as mismanaged and very subject to political whim. Combining the two agencies was something discussed for a long time but 9/11 made it happen. The execution of the merge was all wrong and the incompetents in both agencies fought for their survival (pay grades). Many of the guys that became Federal Air Marshals did so to get out of what they were doing (good and bad).

I know that there is good and bad in every large organization. Maybe I painted them all with to broad a brush. For that I apologize. But there is no way anyone is gonna convince me that they are at this moment going forward a well oiled machine. These policies and bureaucracies are dooming us to failure.

As we know ,they are our first line of defense for those who wish to come here and do harm to us.

I agree with the general sentiment that the creation of DHS in the wake of the 9/11 attacks was a terrible idea. I mean, it was a great idea, but terrible execution (it was the government, I mean, how could they NOT mess it up, right? :doh: ). The whole point of everything in the government is to compartmentalize, and, in turn, create a checks/balances system. While there was definitely dysfunction between the different DOD and DOJ agencies that lead to a possible breakdown in communications and mission priority, I don't think things have gotten better since because of the centralization of information and intelligence.

I think DOD and DOJ agencies have gotten better because the missions of the respective agencies have completely shifted since the 9/11 attacks. Back in the day, while the family was dysfunctional, at least the FBI and CIA and other agencies would fact-check each other. Now? We have the Defense Intelligence Agency (main intel agency) and the Director of National Intelligence ("intel" czar)... now we have the Dept of Homeland Security who condenses all the information/intel for dissemination. Maybe it helps with stream-lining the information and efficiency, but I think the US is putting all of their eggs in one basket-- and that makes no sense from an intel perspective, and frustrates me.

But there is no way anyone is gonna convince me that they are at this moment going forward a well oiled machine. These policies and bureaucracies are dooming us to failure.

71, I can guarantee you that I won't try to convince you and agree with these sentiments exactly. Many good agents are retiring well before their mandatory age to get out because it has gotten so bad.

great idea, but terrible execution

A concise, well stated comment.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091227/ap_ ... ner_attack

I guess homeland security was to busy watching for people clutching there Bibles and guns and let this fellow right on by. The sad thing is had he not revealed himself he could have landed claimed political asylum and been walking around the USA at this very moment. This due in part to the catch and release changes installed by the Obama admin for people without papers and tourists with visas.

If you wish to see something really scary check this out.

http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/