71ragtopgoat

I need a gun safe ASAP !!!!

My wife read the paper today about the child playing with a gun and killing another child and is hell bent against guns in the house.

What I did not do is tell her that my pistol is in transit as we speak. My daughter is 21 months old so I figured a locked case in a locked room would do till I did my research on a quality safe. Now my time table needs to speed up a bit.I would like to keep it in the bedroom closet on a wooden shelf. It is a target /home defence pistol. What do you guys recommend.

Tim - how does the keypad work on those things? (i.e. it's the middle of the night and something goes bump in the night...)

Push button at your fingertips. Program any combo of buttons, plae your hand on the pad and press with fingers. Very easy and reliable.

I have had to do it few times for false alarms. Damn cats. :evil:

The sports authority has decent prices on gun safes. They also knock off 15% for floor models. I bought mine at their store in Hazlet. They also had some in Eatontown. I got a Liberty Centurion 12 gun safe. Nobody short of a safecracker is going to get into that thing. After the sale and the floor model discount, I paid around $440. You need to go and pick it up, drive it home, and put it in your house by yourself (it's a two man job). Otherwise the shipping and labor to install adds up to nearly the cost of the safe.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/ ... age=family

Make sure you screw it down. You are much more likely to lose it in a burglary than use it for HD. Put it on your home insurance. The keypad will be fine for middle of the night. I like the between the stud models, easier to conceal. Might want a good flashlight in the box also. If you get a real safe, get a big one or you will be buying another one sooner or later. Don't get a Stackon cabinet, they are cheap and I could peel one open in under 5 minutes.

Whatever you get, remember it is a fraction of the cost of a gun. Also, they are great for stashing all the other important papers & things around the house that should be protected from fire or loss. I even throw in the laptop and wife's extra jewelry when we go on vacation.

Locking them up good = piece of mind

Yes, safes are one of my many sicknesses.

There was a free bank vault on CL but at 7' high x 7' wide & 2' thick, it looked a little heavy.

I'm thinking along the lines of a gun shelf safe that will screw to the walls.

I installed one (regular safe ) a few years ago. We got 3/4 piece of plywood that spanned 2 studs placed liquid nails on the back of the plywood then screwed it to the studs we then used lag bolts to secure the safe to the ply wood. This was mounted on the floor against the wall.

The next day we tested it by trying to pry it with our legs. Then using a pry bar and it would not budge. I was very impressed.

This is definitely one place you do not want to skimp. Don't get a "Lock box" type of storage to hold firearms. By this I mean the sheet metal and 10 dollar lock type. The price of a good safe is nothing compared with the piece of mind that your guns will not get into the wrong hands. In my case the wrong hands are my child's. I am more worried about my daughter getting near them unsupervised, than I am of them being stolen. I do the 2 safe method. The large hold everything is in one place in my house and another smaller safe with my HD gun in my bedroom. Also put the safe someplace out of sight. If they don't know it's there they won't wonder whats in it.

After much reading I decided on the

V-Line Top Draw Pistol Safe It seamed to fit the bill for me. Compact for easy storage and to hide, transport etc. A nice heavy gauge steel and it does not need batteries. It also recieved great reviews. A few $$$ more then I would have liked but I will rest easy knowing my child will not get her hands on it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

I have 2 kids 6 & 8 yrs old. They have been around guns since they were born. I keep my HD gun in a Gunvault next to the bed. Nice and secure with quick in the dark access.

http://gunvault.com/

Tim...do you have it mounted to anything or just lying next to the bed on the floor? Is it possible to mount that model on a wall? I was looking into this. It gets secured into the wall (flush) and screwed between two studs. I'm not completely sold on it... I think I like the one you have better.

Tim...do you have it mounted to anything or just lying next to the bed on the floor? Is it possible to mount that model on a wall? I was looking into this. It gets secured into the wall (flush) and screwed between two studs. I'm not completely sold on it... I think I like the one you have better.

If it mounts between the studs just place a 3/4 inch plywood that will span the studs. Screw the plywood into the studs then mount your safe to the plywood with lag bolts. for added effect use liquid nails on the back of the plywood. They will have to destroy the wall to get it off.