Sign in to follow this  
mikeyboyeee

Technique Question

Since I am so new to shooting, I am still trying to get my technique down. Aim, follow thru etc.

Last time at range, I too Caine's advice and started feeling for the reset (not easy on my new M&P), but easy on the 92.

What I would do is squeeze the trigger, hold it, drop the muzzle back on target, release trigger to rest, then squeeze again.

What do you guys do as far as follow thru, finding reset, etc?

What I would do is squeeze the trigger, hold it, drop the muzzle back on target, release trigger to rest, then squeeze again.

What you're doing is fine. After doing this 300-500 times you will learn it and after 3000-5000 repetitions it will be muscle memory. You will find as you go on that you'll be letting the trigger reset on the way down after recoil so when the muzzle comes back on target you are ready to squeeze again.

Yup, as the others have mentioned, you're doing it right. I notice for me, on my Beretta 92FS, I have to have a really solid grip on the gun to have accurate shots. Otherwise I pull the shot to the right pretty easily. Some guns I don't have to have as much grip pressure and I'm fine. Not so w/ the Beretta, but I think also, that individual hand geometry plays a big part in the "grip".

Also, regarding the M&P, I just ordered a sight pusher from S&W to start experimenting w/ trigger jobs. I've read the Trigger Job How To on Dave Burwell's site and am going to give it a try. I understand reset is supposed to be improved somewhat by what he recommends. Let me know if you want to borrow the sight pusher for your M&P. It should be here by the end of the week, and I'll be shooting this Sat at the Bullet Hole to see how my trigger job is.