71ragtopgoat

Transport Pistol to range questions

Well I have most of my shooting gear and I am planning to take up an invite to Cheery ridge. What is the legal way to transport my stuff. Can they be in separate pockets of one range bag. I know it needs a locked case separate from ammo ,But is that possible in one range bag ? Can I travel with my mags full.If not do my mags need a separate case. I apologize if this is a redundant question and would be grateful for a link to the answers.

Happy New year

2 slightly different answers:

http://64.23.13.102/nj/weaponlaws/6.html

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html

*My* understanding is that if you have a trunk, then the firearm has to be in the trunk, unloaded and in a container, but does not have to be in a locked container and the ammunition does not have to be in a separate container.

If you do not have a trunk, then the firearm has to be unloaded in a LOCKED container and the ammunition has to be in a separate container (not necessarily locked).

I believe that there is nothing that prohibits you from traveling with loaded magazines in either situation above, but others here and Nappen advise that it is "best" to travel with magazines unloaded.

Thanks for the link. I've pasted the answer below. It seems ammo must be in a separate case as opposed to compartment of the same bag.

Q6.

How do you transport firearms?

A6.

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

Just a few comments that I'd like to add:

--the contents of your trunk, as well as anything inside any container or bag, are protected under both the U.S. and NJ Constitutions

--you are not obligated by any statute to notify police during a traffic stop that you have firearms in the vehicle

--it cannot be used against you if you don't notify police of the presence of firearms (volunteering that information is up to you, but may cause you some unwanted headaches)

--police cannot, by state supreme court ruling (State v. Carty, 2002) ask for a consent search of your car during a traffic stop.

While I am not suggesting or condoning violating the law, I always suggest people to exercise some common sense and good judgment. If you end up in a situation that involves police, keep quiet and invoke your right to an attorney.

--police cannot, by state supreme court ruling (State v. Carty, 2002) ask for a consent search of your car during a traffic stop.

Unless there is probable cause.

Here in Nazi Jerky some badged-up twits consider an NRA sticker probable cause. BTDT twice until I removed the sticker. I didn't consent and luckily for them they didn't force the issue.

If a cop has probable cause, then he is not going to be asking you anything. The law takes over and the cop does what he needs to do if there is clear probable cause. If the cop determines that you are in legitmate posession of the firearm, they have to let you go as per their guidelines.

I keep my NRA sticker on my car. I have never been stopped for it, and when I do get stopped, I dont say anything that is irrelevant. I had one instance where the cop just kept persisting to search the car. After telling him no, and explaining to him that I did not need to give him any other reason than the 4th amendement, he kept persisting. I called 911 and told them that I was being harrassed by an officer of the law, they sent out 3 more cops, one supervisor. Once the supervisor was there, I was on my way in about 2 minutes.

AND I DIDNT EVEN HAVE A GUN IN THE CAR!!!!

Dont give them an inch. :snooty:

Conflicting answers.

The NJSP site doesn't say guns and ammo have to be in separate containers as long as its in a trunk. Just secure.

*Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

*The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

To me this implies you can have them both in your range bag in your trunk. OR in your range bag with a lock on the zipper rings in an uncovered trunk area of an SUV or back seat of a pickup.

Any thoughts on this logic? I mean, thats RIGHT OFF the NJSP site and my interpretation of it but it seems pretty clear.

Conflicting answers.

The NJSP site doesn't say guns and ammo have to be in separate containers as long as its in a trunk. Just secure.

Any thoughts on this logic? I mean, thats RIGHT OFF the NJSP site and my interpretation of it but it seems pretty clear.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/faq.html#firearms

Look down at Q6:

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

Now, this is arguably *legally* wrong, because as PK90 points out, this isn't in the NJ LEGAL STATUTES, this is just what it says on the NJ State Police Web Site on one page (and not on the other NJSP page linked earlier).

So, your choice as to what you want to follow.

Conflicting answers.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/faq.html#firearms

Look down at Q6:

Now, this is arguably *legally* wrong, because as PK90 points out, this isn't in the NJ LEGAL STATUTES, this is just what it says on the NJ State Police Web Site on one page (and not on the other NJSP page linked earlier).

So, your choice as to what you want to follow.

They seem to have taken that from the Federal Interstate laws. It's good practice.. but if you stay in NJ, it is probably not required.

separate

As I understand PK90's point, nowhere in the actual NJ statutes does it say that ammo and gun must be store separately. It says the gun must be unloaded.

Oh.. I was referring to "locked" versus "securely cased" for in state transportation without a separate compartment.