LibertyOrDeath

Whats a good small caliber H.G?

Definitely get a .22 due to the inexpensive ammo cost.

Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II/III. Either will generally eat anything you put in it.

Avoid the Sig Mosquito.

The Walther p22 are nice but picky on ammo, tending to like CCI mini mags.

I really have no opinion on the Neos. Never shot one.

Definitely get a .22 due to the inexpensive ammo cost.

Browning Buckmark or Ruger Mark II/III. Either will generally eat anything you put in it.

I agree 100%. I find the Buckmark to be easier to break down and clean but that's personal preference. Both of those will eat just about anything from the bargain bin and still be pretty reliable. Plus they are not too shabby on accuracy!

I shot the Neos at BA. Befriended a guy and his girl there - let them shoot my stuff and i shot her Neos.

NO felt recoil - absolutely NONE. My Mark II has minimal felt recoil despite the long barrel and heavy body. I'm not kidding when I say the Beretta has none.

I've got an old Colt officers model match in 22lr. It's a revolver but it's heavy, with a 6 inch barrel and single or double action. I think a revolver in 22lr is the way to go to teach someone to shoot. No recoil, no jams, no noise. And if you can learn to shoot double action, then the semi auto's become easier to learn and shoot.

I've got an old Colt officers model match in 22lr. It's a revolver but it's heavy, with a 6 inch barrel and single or double action. I think a revolver in 22lr is the way to go to teach someone to shoot. No recoil, no jams, no noise. And if you can learn to shoot double action, then the semi auto's become easier to learn and shoot.

Really good point Ray! Though a revolver may be heavier for a new shooter, jams in a semi make me uncomfortable with a new shooter. They only have to get nervous and turn around once with a jammed weapon.

The other thing is you get more quality target practice shooting a revolver single action. Less ammo wasting.

+1 Ray

Actually I was thinking more about the "teaching someone to shoot" goal. My absolute favorite pistol for that is my old Ruger Super Single Six.

Single action revolver, interchangeable cylinders so you can shoot .22LR or .22WMR. EXCELLENT teaching tool!

The problem with the large frames is shes only 6. Her full size hand can fit in my palm. It needs to be small enough for her to handle with confidence and stabilty.

My personal opinion. At 6yo, rethink the whole handgun thing and start with a long gun. Something tiny that won't intimidate her. Little Miss Glock, my daughter, started off with a BB gun at that age and my 8yo grandson is shooting a 22 rifle. Just my opinion again, 6yo and a handgun :?

If you started her a little later she could still be competing by 12yo.

You must be a good dad. Firearms education equals firearm safety.

Shes very good with the youth rifle on a bench w/a bipod and optic. I have a Springfield 120 made by Savage that fires a .22long and she loves it. Also have a pellet gun shes plinks with- Crosman 1377 w/optic and carbine stock. I was thinking she was a little to young for a H.G but Daddys Little Girl is an understatement! Every hobby I indulge in shes in my shadow (dolls in hand)...lol-asking questions and wanting to participate. Most things we do are as a Family and all the children shoot,fish,bike..etc. I think im gonna agree that shes just to young for a H.G regardless of the caliber. :(

Shes very good with the youth rifle on a bench w/a bipod and optic. I have a Springfield 120 made by Savage that fires a .22long and she loves it. Also have a pellet gun shes plinks with- Crosman 1377 w/optic and carbine stock. I was thinking she was a little to young for a H.G but Daddys Little Girl is an understatement! Every hobby I indulge in shes in my shadow (dolls in hand)...lol-asking questions and wanting to participate. Most things we do are as a Family and all the children shoot,fish,bike..etc. I think im gonna agree that shes just to young for a H.G regardless of the caliber. :(

Stay sharp dad! Soon you'll be fitting custom parts to pistols, being told your target gun has lousy reset and explaining the history of berdan primers. Then when you can shoot side by side with your kids competitively, then, the grandkids come along. Enjoy, they're not 6yo forever.

Oh I forgot! You had better learn to reload a thousand rounds a week. :whistle:

Stay sharp dad! Soon you'll be fitting custom parts to pistols, being told your target gun has lousy reset and explaining the history of berdan primers. Then when you can shoot side by side with your kids competitively, then, the grandkids come along. Enjoy, they're not 6yo forever.

Oh I forgot! You had better learn to reload a thousand rounds a week. :whistle:

Sounds like the voice of experience.