Sign in to follow this  
PK90

Take your gun to school day

graduated edison hs in 1964 - split sessions 7am till noon - many of us brought our shotguns to school + went hunting after school -

graduated edison hs in 1964 - split sessions 7am till noon - many of us brought our shotguns to school + went hunting after school -

I've heard those stories from my parents about Edison being split back when they went. Man what a different time....

yes times were different - could hunt across rte #1 from ford plant - sand pits to target shoot in right off woodbridge ave - police would let you use their range on mill road - if you felt daring enough you could slip under the raritan arsenal fence for deer , pheasant , + duck

hunting - a few students even carried their shotguns on the school bus -

A friend on mine grew up in Bergen County in the 50s and 60s. When he was a Boy Scout he used to strap his 22 rifle to his bicycle, ride to the police station to pick up the key to the range in the basement of the school, and reverse the process when he was done shooting.

I grew up on LI NY in the late seventies. We had rifle club one day a week after school at the school range. Most teachers were WWII or Korean vets almost all were hunters. Respect for people and weapons were always stressed. A few years later the anti war/hunting teachers took over and closed the range to clean the lead out and it never opened again. Those teachers taught what they called individuality and respect for no one. They called it questioning authority and suspended you if you challenged there doctrine !!

All of you will love this. In the western part of VA (augusta county) the middle school I attended had hunters ed as part of healt/PE class. when I got to High school and joind ag class(just another shop class ) he would spend a week or so with us teaching firearms. with a test at the end. The following week was spent with high powered pellet rifles shooting with a competition held on saturday if you wanted in it. I don't know if they still do that or not since the teacher retired.

Wow, things have surely changed in NJ!!!!

My shooting buddy that I've known since we were kids, once had to give a presentation for a class when we were going to FDU in Teaneck (late 80's/early 90's). He asked the prof, if he could go 1st. He pulls out his (then legal) HK91 w/ clawmount scope for the class. The class loved it and found it really interesting. Even the prof found it cool. The prof at one point leans over to my buddy and asked if he had checked w/ campus security and what not, he said he did, but of course, he didn't. He also got to leave early from the class since he wanted to get his rifle home.... bastard!!!!

I couldn't imagine trying that stunt in today's world.

There are still highschool rifle teams in PA with ranges at the school. But they are closing day by day.

When I was in highschool in NJ during the 80s people brought their shotguns to school during hunting season. I'm not sure it was allowed but it was probably during the transition period where everybody had done it in years past so nobody cared.

WOW, I went to HHS, graduated in 06. I remember a few buddy's of mine had a Paint Ball trip planed right after school. A few of them brought their paintball guns to school. Just so you know. They were the brightly colored paint ball guns. They had no tanks or barrels attached. They didn't even have paint balls. The cops were called, The cops showed up in heavy gear. My friends got questioned for hours. Had their paintball stuff taken, and they were suspended for a week. Times sure have changed.

i graduated a hunterdon nj high school on 02. so i was in highschool during columbine and thats when it all hit the fan. though every deer season i brought my 12 gauge to school and just left it in my truck covered with a blanket and every day of that week i was out hunting after school i was smart and never told anyone though.