PK90

Assembly approves measure exempting NJ gun collectors ...

Assembly approves measure exempting N.J. gun collectors, sportsmen exempt from new gun law

LINK

January 07, 2010, 9:19PM

gun-store-bellevillejpg-4dd02657319e606b_large.jpg

Hand guns on display at the Bullet Hole, a gun store and indoor shooting range in Bellville.

TRENTON -- The Assembly passed a bill today exempting gun collectors and sportsmen from a new law that limits the purchase of handguns to one per month.

"Specifically, this bill would address the needs of collectors, licensed firearms dealers, and sportsmen who may need to purchase more than one handgun, as part of a collection, estate sale or inheritance,'' said the bill's sponsor, Sen. Fred Madden (D-Gloucester).

People seeking an exemption from the law would appeal to the State Police and explain in writing why they should be allowed to buy more than one gun a month.

The bill (S3104) passed the Assembly 73-0 with three abstentions. It now heads to Gov. Jon Corzine's desk, where his signature would make it law.

I can't get the video to display here!

• Like 1

So great, now I can ask the state police if I am allowed to excersize my rights, and allow an unfunded mandate on the state police which will not be hiring additional staff to review requests to buy guns. This is a joke and we should call and thank Cunningham to thank her for allowing the criminals to get a leg up on law abiding citizens.

Everyone needs to get loud about this and call and write, and let them know that nonsense legislation, legislation passed then committee formed, legislation that is not in step with reality, needs to be repealed.

This morning I read that somebody got shot and killed in Jersey City, I am sure this law will have alot of affect, especially since 74% of the guns used in NJ crimes come from out of state. SO I CAN TOTALLY SEE THE NEED TO STOP STRAW PURCHASES HERE IN NJ!!!! WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!!!!

I think the ultimate moment that did it for me was when Cunningham actually said "do it for the kids"

Trust me, you will be able to buy two guns quicker by simply buying the first and then the second one 31 days later than you ever will by making the separate step of petitioning the NJSP to allow you to exercise your rights. Just something else they can delay. In the meantime VA is taking steps to rescind their OGAM law.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Pizza Bob, I made sure to reference this when speaking to the 'salaried answering machines' at our assembly persons office.

Every other state has repealed this, and NJ will have to repeal it soon too.

NJ gun owners need to get loud. I went to the first hearing, there were 40 pro gun people there.

That was it. I was hoping for the chambers to be packed.

People seeking an exemption from the law would appeal to the State Police and explain in writing why they should be allowed to buy more than one gun a month.

The big problem with this is it gives the NJSP one more thing to do that they shouldn't have to. The main reason the Firearms Unit at NJSP is slow responding at times is they are way understaffed. The politicians apparently like to keep it that way.

In my thinking a 03FFL would but hey those aren't given out here either....

You can get a C&R FFL if you live in NJ but it does you no good as the state says all guns have to go through a NJ licensed dealer. I remember reading a psot somewhere that a guy in NJ was applying for a C&R and BATFE tried to talk him out of it.

NJ gun owners need to get loud. I went to the first hearing, there were 40 pro gun people there.

Don't hold your breath.

But it's depressing, a real minority of activists can get a boatload of people to push the NJ Legislature to hear marriage equality, and 40 people is the best gun owners can deliver.

Don't hold your breath.

But it's depressing, a real minority of activists can get a boatload of people to push the NJ Legislature to hear marriage equality, and 40 people is the best gun owners can deliver.

that is because we all work, if they had that meeting on a Saturday it would be packed..

Pizza Bob, I made sure to reference this when speaking to the 'salaried answering machines' at our assembly persons office.

Every other state has repealed this, and NJ will have to repeal it soon too.

Much like ANY conservative issue, our voices arent as loud because WE HAVE JOBS..... The lib erals can pack their portests with the jobless and homeless, we dont have that option.

Sorry guys, not buying it. I have a job too. We prioritize as we see fit. I fully understand that you have a job, but the malaise among you is saddeing. I might as well move to PA now if NJ gun owers "are just too busy to care about their rights"

I am going to get off this board for a while, we have got some real HUMPS on here and its a shame because you did not educate your elected morons about an issue that affects you, you did not scream when they rationed your second amendment rights...you were working.

I am not being a smart ass, but you guys need to get a better handle on your rights in NJ, or they will strip them LIKE THEY HAVE DONE ALREADY.

Hey mega , i own a business, and no i am not closing my business for a meeting with a bunch of thieves.

This is why i am a member of the NRA i contribute to have professionals handle these problems so i did not let you down the NRA which has sold us out on many occasions has let us down, was their anyone from the NRA at this meeting?

yes, the NRA was there, along with 40 NJ residents. I own a business too Tony, I run an insurance agency...I asked one of my employees to cover...that sad part is those thieves rationed your constituional right to arms.

My point here is that there should have been 200 of us, nothing will change until either we stop electing morons, or the morons see that the people will come out, pack a room, and not take it right up the poop chute.

Not arguing with your point Mega, but unfortunately, we could have 2000 gun owners there and they wouldn't be impressed. The stupid sheep in this state will keep putting these crooks back in. Look at this past Nov, yes, we got Christie in and Corzine out, not by a huge margin, but almost the entire legislature was voted back in.

Don't hold your breath.

that is because we all work, if they had that meeting on a Saturday it would be packed..

i'm broadstrokeing here, and i only find that acceptable for a minority of NJ gun owners. take a sick day. if the people who supported the marriage equality bill can do it, so can we. our's is part of the bill of rights, theirs isn't. if the bill of rights isn't worth missing a day of work, then nothing is.