ChrisJM981

Cleaning Glock firing pin

One of my coworkers was shaking his head at me since I don't clean my firing pin on my Glock (or my S&W 22A for that matter). Is it a big deal not to clean it? If I should could somebody recommend a guide? I don't think that's listed in my glock manual.

The GLOCK firing pin channel is designed to be self cleaning. That being said.

If you make the pistol safe, magazine well and chamber, then pull the trigger.

Then shake the pistol and you should be able to hear the firing pin rattle back and forth, forward and backward. This should prove a firing pin channel in a safe(clean) condition.

If you must clean it, remove the firing pin and clean the channel with a pipe cleaner. NOT a bore brush.

Thanks Old School! If it stops rattling I'll bring it to a smith for a cleaning. :D Maks I know you have a S&W 22A do you clean that firing pin on it?

If you don't clean it yourself or let me show you how to do it... I'll be mad at you. :shock:

The GLOCK firing pin channel is designed to be self cleaning

That is far from true. One of the reasons we stopped using our ultrasonic cleaner was because of the Glock design. It lossen the dirt and trapped it. The result is a out of battery detonation. After several occured, a warning went out to area agencies.

As always, visually check for an empty chamber after magazine removal.http://www.parts.cc/glock/disassembly/Slide1.htm

http://rockhollywood.net/media/GlockDisassembly.pdf

Removing the firing pin assembly takes a second. There is no reason no to do so and repires nothing more than a thin pin or punch. In fact everyone should look into the Lyman Punch/Hammer conbo.http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS042-1.html It is a very usefull tool set for little money.

The GLOCK firing pin channel is designed to be self cleaning

That is far from true. One of the reasons we stopped using our ultrasonic cleaner was because of the Glock design. It lossen the dirt and trapped it. The result is a out of battery detonation. After several occured, a warning went out to area agencies.

As always, visually check for an empty chamber after magazine removal.http://www.parts.cc/glock/disassembly/Slide1.htm

http://rockhollywood.net/media/GlockDisassembly.pdf

Removing the firing pin assembly takes a second. There is no reason no to do so and repires nothing more than a thin pin or punch. In fact everyone should look into the Lyman Punch/Hammer conbo.http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/GNS042-1.html It is a very usefull tool set for little money.

rscalzo- Sorry but you are incorrect about the design. There is a debris hole under the firing pin channel for debris to fall out of. Now if this is successful 100% of the time is another issue. I'll review your links. But. if a fully assembled slide was being put in an ultrasonic bath where could the debris escape to if it was more than a debris hole could handle. Again I will review your links but it sounds like this deals with pretty grungy pistols that were just thrown in a ultrasonic bath.

Respectly summited

Agreed there is no repacement for actual cleaning.

Sorry but you are incorrect about the design

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. After bthe problem, a dealer with a massive amount of experience told me exactly why it happened before I mentioned the ultrasonic cleaner. I met with L&R out in Kearny and they verified it. Ultrasonic is fine when the item being cleaned is totally disassembled. While they push the field strip and dunk in their adds, it doesn't work that well. In fact the ultrasonicx caused more problems then it was worth.

The gunk doesn't flow out the relief hole and jams the pin slightly forward causing the problem. As I witnessed it, the design is not foolproof.

While your explanation might work well as far as the glock literature goes, it doesn't work in practice. In my opinion anyone relying on that method is foolish at best when it takes seconds to clean the firearm properly and completely.

Sorry but you are incorrect about the design

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. After bthe problem, a dealer with a massive amount of experience told me exactly why it happened before I mentioned the ultrasonic cleaner. I met with L&R out in Kearny and they verified it. Ultrasonic is fine when the item being cleaned is totally disassembled. While they push the field strip and dunk in their adds, it doesn't work that well. In fact the ultrasonicx caused more problems then it was worth.

The gunk doesn't flow out the relief hole and jams the pin slightly forward causing the problem. As I witnessed it, the design is not foolproof.

While your explanation might work well as far as the glock literature goes, it doesn't work in practice. In my opinion anyone relying on that method is foolish at best when it takes seconds to clean the firearm properly and completely.

I wrote a long post in reply and lost it- Sorry!

So just a one liner. "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian"

If it don't rattle, take it apart and clean it.