Redfish62

Should I stay away from Lacquered steel case ammo?

i have never had issues with them, but depends on what you are shooting them through. unless the ammo is corrosive itself, i dont see any big issues with it.

the biggest issue I had with the wolf/brown bear type of stuff is that I had a failure to eject in a CZ 85, 9mm.

Not sure that the issue is the steel cases, as much as it is the coating applied to them. I have read (no first-hand experience) of chambers getting gummed-up with melted laquer when shooting extended strings (hot chamber/barrel). That was one of the reasons Wolf switched from laquer to some type of polymer that was more heat resistant. Domestic manufacturerers are also using steel cased ammo. Hornady makes practice ammo for law enforcement using steel cases.

You'll probably hear the argument about wearing out your extractor because of the steel on steel issue. I would wager that your barrel will be shot out long before your extractor gets worn to the non-functional point.

All that being said, I choose not to use it in my AR's. However, If I owned an AK platform, I wouldn't hesitate - that's what they were designed to be used with.

You'll just have to decide what's right for you.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

All I pretty much shoot is Russian ammo out of all my weapons, poly and lacquer coated I have never seen

an issue with build up from the coating. That being said some of my pistols are picky and I do get some

fail fires out of my 9mm Baby eagle due to the hard primers or light strikes from the pistol. They will always fire on the

2nd attempt. Now if I load up my Kahr cw9 they fire each and Every time the 1st time so I am more inclined to believe

the Baby Eagle just does not like steel cased ammo.

The only rifle I have not put steel cased ammo through is my AR that I just built.

I got a great bulk deal on mil spec ammo, but I would defiantly try the steel to see if it feeds well.

If I can get brass cheaper then I go for it, or in the winter because some indoor ranges only allow Brass.

Yes!

Buy American, buy in bulk, buy Brass!

lol

Yeah I here ya but a American Brass case of 7.62x39 would run me about $500.00 + no thanks.

In AK's or pistols, yeah steel cased stuff is fine, but not in Direct Impingment AR's. Don't know about piston AR's though.

In AK's or pistols, yeah steel cased stuff is fine, but not in SOME Direct Impingment AR's.

Fixed it for you ;)

Didn't need it fixed, lacquered cased ammo ain't good for DI AR's, but I'm not sure about Piston AR's.

From what I heard, the old stuff was lacquered. Problems occurred when a round was left in a hot chamber. The lacquer melted, then solidified and glued the round in the chamber. The steel rounds now are poly coated and the problem was solved. I know a guy at the range that uses Brown Bear as his practice ammo and loves the stuff.

From what I heard, the old stuff was lacquered. Problems occurred when a round was left in a hot chamber. The lacquer melted, then solidified and glued the round in the chamber. The steel rounds now are poly coated and the problem was solved. I know a guy at the range that uses Brown Bear as his practice ammo and loves the stuff.

The problem is that after a while the lacquer builds up causing malfunctions and, like the problem I had, was the round was lodged in the so good that I had to use the cleaning rod and slam it out.

It's not worth the risk, Buy American, Buy Brass, and Buy in Bulk.

I've used Wolf years ago without any problems. Russian powder is getting popular for reloading as it is sold through some outlets for surplus components. a very experienced friend uses the powder in his 30-06 reloads and it works well. Just a much bigger flash.

Some interesting info on this subject here......

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

Good read but still don't like that ammo. I needed to use a cleaning rod to get the spent casings (yes casings becuase I still kept shooting after it happened once) out and it was tough.

I don't know if anyone pays attention to me, but damn it buy American, buy brass and buy in bulk!

I've used Wolf years ago without any problems. Russian powder is getting popular for reloading as it is sold through some outlets for surplus components. a very experienced friend uses the powder in his 30-06 reloads and it works well. Just a much bigger flash.

Where might this powder be found? :whistle: