Thirty Pack Kayak

What to buy Saiga or AK Variant (which one)?

I'm fairly new to the Forum, this is my fist post and I need some advice as to what to buy. Should I buy a Saiga and do a conversion, or buy an AK Variant. Which one would be legal in NJ and keep cost close to the cost of a saiga with the conversion and compliance parts? I'm looking for 7.62 X 39 right now. Any help would be great. Thanks

Saigas are good to go. Anything else with AK in the name is banned from NJ by name.... so what you have avail..., off the top of my head, in order of best quality down...

Vepr, Vepr K, Vepr 2 (around $1k) Build on the RPK receiver in Russia, no longer imported, only imported to the states a few years from 99 to 2001 by rob arms. Vepr 2 can take standard AK mags.

Saiga - In a variety of calibers, decent build quality, made in russia.

Wasr's - cheapest receivers, romanian.

I believe there are also AMD's, etc.

One nice one I have seen out of the box that is a good value is the EAA Pap or something... lunker had it, around $400? But it is a single stacker magazine... but the 10 rounders are nice.

Thanks for your input. Yes I understand the "evil" features and the compliance parts aspect. The only banned feature I'm looking for is a pistol grip in the right place, not way back on a skeleton stock. So maybe the Saiga is the way I will go, then do the conversion. Thanks again.

I have a Saiga, 7.62x39, that I bought from Paul (PK90) at Arms-N-Ammo. Solid build, (built by IZHMASH in Russia), reliable, never had a FTF or FTE in well over a year. It loves Wolf steel cased FMJs so it is fairly inexpensive to shoot a lot.

Also, Paul is a great guy to deal with if you should decide to buy from him.

I have a Saiga, 7.62x39, that I bought from Paul (PK90) at Arms-N-Ammo. Solid build, (built by IZHMASH in Russia), reliable, never had a FTF or FTE in well over a year. It loves Wolf steel cased FMJs so it is fairly inexpensive to shoot a lot.

an AK that has feeding issues is not an AK.

the wolf stuff is really great for the price/value equation. the case being ejected by the rifle comes out at such force that it really doesnt matter. The way the brass also ejects, most of all gets caught against the corner of the ejection port which is what dings up the brass case... thus the "AK Slap".

Get a Saiga from Paul on the site as others have suggested.. he is an awesome guy to deal with and really knows his stuff.. honest and fair!

here are a couple of my Saigas out of the many i have built..

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1048

if you need any help let me know and i can likely help you..

an AK that has feeding issues is not an AK.

the wolf stuff is really great for the price/value equation. the case being ejected by the rifle comes out at such force that it really doesnt matter. The way the brass also ejects, most of all gets caught against the corner of the ejection port which is what dings up the brass case... thus the "AK Slap".

you can fix that slap if you really want to... you just need to put that door trim stuff on the edge where the brass is hitting..

Ok I bought a Saiga from PK 90 good guy to deal with as everyone said. I'm planning on shooting it a couple of times then probably move the trigger forward and adding the pistol grip. Probably wait until spring when the workshop is a little warmer. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Ok I bought a Saiga from PK 90 good guy to deal with as everyone said. I'm planning on shooting it a couple of times then probably move the trigger forward and adding the pistol grip. Probably wait until spring when the workshop is a little warmer. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

if you have any questions or need any help.. feel free to PM me.. its good you are shooting it before converting so you can see the trigger in stock form.. once you convert it, the rifle will be ENTIRELY different..

good luck with it!

Hey Thirty Pack, I just noticed you were in Millville? I'm in Hopewell, just outside of Bridgeton. Where do you shoot? I'm a member at Quinten Sportsmen's Club. I have a Saiga in .223 with the factory skeleton stock, no other mods. I may look into trading over to a 7.62 version as I have a M&P15 for my .223 needs!

Hey Thirty Pack, I just noticed you were in Millville? I'm in Hopewell, just outside of Bridgeton. Where do you shoot? I'm a member at Quinten Sportsmen's Club. I have a Saiga in .223 with the factory skeleton stock, no other mods. I may look into trading over to a 7.62 version as I have a M&P15 for my .223 needs!

that 7.62 ammo seems to be getting cheaper and more available again... so might not be a bad idea..

Thinking about buying one from Paul too. And I would be moving the grip and trigger too. Gotta post some before and after pics thirty pack.