bulpup

A Glock in Haiti

Let's say you bring it and carry it there, but you don't get caught. But, what if you face a situation where you have to defend yourself (the whole point of carrying). Are you willing to face consequences of defending yourself for shooting, while simultaneously facing whatever violations for carrying a weapon in the first place?

Let's say you bring it and carry it there, but you don't get caught. But, what if you face a situation where you have to defend yourself (the whole point of carrying). Are you willing to face consequences of defending yourself for shooting, while simultaneously facing whatever violations for carrying a weapon in the first place?

Echo that.

I would only carry under the auspices of the agency that had me there in the first place. If it's dangerous, bail. Delivering aid isn't worth dying for.

Buddy from work's brother just went over there as he is a pilot for a BIG firm.

I saw the pics and the airport certainly likes fine and you will have no trouble just flying in and out of airport.

beyond the airport, I would want to carry.

When the Marines are armed with locked and loaded M4's and are driving really fast like they do in Iraq.. it's long past time to get out of dodge.

Don't we say that thing here... "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"?

Are you willing to face consequences of defending yourself for shooting, while simultaneously facing whatever violations for carrying a weapon in the first place?
Yes, because it would have saved my life.
  • Like 1

Don't we say that thing here... "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"?

I hear ya, but I would rather be judged by 6 here, then the animals over there.

I am going next week also. I work for DHS, FEMA. This is what I was told.

Do NOT carry there. Do NOT bring it there. You will not need it. What you would need to worry about is not if a Haitian sees it, they wont even think twice because they will just think you USAF, USN etc etc. They wil not know any better. You should be worried if US Stater or USAID rep sees it. You will then do some fed time somewhere unpleasant, cold and rainy.

There are 3K Marines + 10K other US Forces there, most of which are based or working in an around the airport. It is pretty safe there. Even PAP is safe now, although some of the outer PAP and the port areas where assistance has been bogged down are still "unruly" at times.

If you are flying into the smaller airports outside PAP, there are no worries at all, devastation did not reach outside PAP proper. I know some relief agencies are flying into and out of Cap Haitien and Port-de-Paix and trucking goods south. Or Jacmel to the south... that is where I will be flying into and convoying up to PAP. Only large AID shipments and equipment are getting into PAP now.

If you have google earth there are some great aerial shots you can get of Haiti showing the devastation.

I am going next week also. I work for DHS, FEMA. This is what I was told.

Do NOT carry there. Do NOT bring it there. You will not need it. What you would need to worry about is not if a Haitian sees it, they wont even think twice because they will just think you USAF, USN etc etc. They wil not know any better. You should be worried if US Stater or USAID rep sees it. You will then do some fed time somewhere unpleasant, cold and rainy.

There are 3K Marines + 10K other US Forces there, most of which are based or working in an around the airport. It is pretty safe there. Even PAP is safe now, although some of the outer PAP and the port areas where assistance has been bogged down are still "unruly" at times.

If you are flying into the smaller airports outside PAP, there are no worries at all, devastation did not reach outside PAP proper. I know some relief agencies are flying into and out of Cap Haitien and Port-de-Paix and trucking goods south. Or Jacmel to the south... that is where I will be flying into and convoying up to PAP. Only large AID shipments and equipment are getting into PAP now.

That's great info. It seemed I might be going with an organization that is using small single engine planes to Port-de-Paix but it might not happen. Those people are too busy doing the job than to answer an email. Sometimes all we can do is send money, even if we are willing to run out and dig.

From what I understand and heard on the news, those M4 the marines are carrying arent loaded. They were told to carry their guns but don't bring any bullets.

What the hell good is that? might as well just carry baseball bats

IF there is any truth to that, it sure sounds like it has Obama's name all over it. :roll:

I know some Federal LEOs who went to Haiti after Hurricane Andrew. They took whatever gun they were qualified with and can see no reason why the Marines would be walking around there now with no ammo.

If you take the gun with you, you stand to take a chance of a variety of charges for exporting it and bringing it back. Haiti has been used as a transhipment point for drugs for some time and I guarantee you and the aircraft will be subjected to a thorough Customs exam when you return.

Don't take a gun there are too many ways you can get caught and get in trobule even if you don't use it.

"From what I understand and heard on the news, those M4 the marines are carrying arent loaded. They were told to carry their guns but don't bring any bullets."

Totally False. Not even worth commenting on.

I know my father said in the 70's while he was in the service, depending on the position, at guard duty, they were told to have their 1911's without a round in the chamber.

But I'm sure things have changed drastically.

"From what I understand and heard on the news, those M4 the marines are carrying arent loaded. They were told to carry their guns but don't bring any bullets."

Totally False. Not even worth commenting on.

I know my father said in the 70's while he was in the service, depending on the position, at guard duty, they were told to have their 1911's without a round in the chamber.

But I'm sure things have changed drastically.

Big difference between no ammo and no round in chamber ;)

From some of the news videos i've seen, it looks like they're walking around with no mags in the guns. I would like to assume that they at least have full magazines in the pouches tho...

If it was going down there I'd at the very minimum bring a couple knives assuming you're checking in luggage or something.