djg0770

Learn from my mistake WARNING PG 2 PIC HEAVY

I bought a gun on gunbroker from an advertised NJ FFL dealer. I assumed (stupid) that I could pickup the gun at the dealers location. This is not the case in this particular instance. I have to have this gun transferred to another NJ FFL. Basically, the seller does not do NICS checks. Why is not really important...

If you are trolling the auction sites for guns in NJ and 'assume' that you can do a local pickup - learn from my mistake and check with the seller first.

I bought a gun on gunbroker from an advertised NJ FFL dealer. I assumed (stupid) that I could pickup the gun at the dealers location. This is not the case in this particular instance. I have to have this gun transferred to another NJ FFL. Basically, the seller does not do NICS checks. Why is not really important...

If you are trolling the auction sites for guns in NJ and 'assume' that you can do a local pickup - learn from my mistake and check with the seller first.

....or just take the beating and buy it from a local store to begin with.

....or just take the beating and buy it from a local store to begin with.

It was in Fairfield - I assumed it was a local 'store' - probably a little guy just starting out. Assume = Ass U Me :oops:

why wont he do a FTF transfer. He does not need to do a NICS, you both fill out the NJ Cert of Elig. (http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/fi ... sp-634.pdf) for a longgun or you prob have a permit for a handgun, he fills that in and away you go.

Or is there a law that FFL holders can not do FTF with documentation.

why wont he do a FTF transfer. He does not need to do a NICS, you both fill out the NJ Cert of Elig. (http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/fi ... sp-634.pdf) for a longgun or you prob have a permit for a handgun, he fills that in and away you go.

:roll: This IS New Jersey - so there's a law against it. :roll: (roll eyes at NJ laws, not axeman)

:roll: This IS New Jersey - so there's a law against it. :roll: (roll eyes at NJ laws, not axeman)

Is there really?

I thought it was a federal law. I know a guy who bought a gun from an FFL's private collection, and he still had to do the paperwork and NICS check.

Is there really?

I thought it was a federal law. I know a guy who bought a gun from an FFL's private collection, and he still had to do the paperwork and NICS check.

Actually you're probably correct - it is probably a federal law...

n.j nics ck. are done by nj state police , most other states go through batf in west virginia - only nj licensed dealers can perform the check - makes me wonder about the legality of his ffl in this state -

n.j nics ck. are done by nj state police , most other states go through batf in west virginia - only nj licensed dealers can perform the check - makes me wonder about the legality of his ffl in this state -

Oh he's legit! I had a well known local expert confirm it.

why wont he do a FTF transfer. He does not need to do a NICS, you both fill out the NJ Cert of Elig.

I know of dealers in other states (not NJ) who only do internet sales to other dealers and don't have or need sales tax certificates from the state and NICs accounts. This would be all legal but they have to send the gun to a FFL as they do not collect sales tax or do NICS.

I really don't know if it is possible to do this in NJ.