Sign in to follow this  
tony357

6 hours of block sanding.

tried out this new fairing compound, icing is the name of it, i troweled out the whole deck to be block sanded, it sanded harder than i figured it would, little bit left to sand and i can spray it with heavy build primer and block sand once again and spray with sealer primer for paint.

sandingextreme001.jpg

sandingextreme002.jpg

sandingextreme003.jpg

sandingextreme004.jpg

sandingextreme005.jpg

Holy crap tony get yourself a hutchkins white long board to do some of the sanding, those 9 in blocks take forever when you have a huge area like that. People have no idea how much prep and sanding it take to get something ready for paint. The best thing people say to me when they want something painted is, " its only a quick spritz". Im like what da? yeah and only 2 weeks to prep it unless you want a macco jobs. SOrry bud just venting LOOKING GOOD!!!!

May I make a suggestion? Since it is a curved survace I would use one of the fam sanding blacks that the sell in hardware stores,and I think shop rite has them as well in the Isle with the motor oil and such. They have a rough course and fine side that will also help in reducing the amount of sand paper you have to use.

No offense to anyone offering suggestions but Tony has been doing this for MANY years, I think he's figured out what works pretty well for him.

I know a lot of body shop guys HATE big block sanders because you can't feel a curve. I'm assuming that's why Tony is using the smaller blocks as well. It allows the worker to be closer to the surface so he can feel high and low spots.

M

No offense to anyone offering suggestions but Tony has been doing this for MANY years, I think he's figured out what works pretty well for him.

I know a lot of body shop guys HATE big block sanders because you can't feel a curve. I'm assuming that's why Tony is using the smaller blocks as well. It allows the worker to be closer to the surface so he can feel high and low spots.

M

I made the suggestion based on the fact he stated it is a new type of compound and harder to sand. I suggested the foam sanding blocks because that is what I used on "harder" compounds with great results.The foam blocks are small as well maybe 2.5 x 4 inc or so. I hope I didn't offend anyone, that wasn't my intention,just putting in my knowledge in.