Sign in to follow this  
crazyboy

Views on trapping.

did it in my younger days - no problem with it - no different than hunting or fishing -

did it in my younger days - no problem with it - no different than hunting or fishing -

Understood. I fish and am getting into hunting, trapping just kind of seemed less humane, but I'm not sure why. I think I'm thinking more along the lines of the old bear traps.

I'm not about making animals suffer....not in the least. I am not familiar with trapping...do they suffer? I think a clean shot, right down is somewhat humane. I'll be going on a hunting trip in Missouri in a few months to give it a whirl. I've only hunted varmint before, never larger game.

I'm not about making animals suffer....not in the least. I am not familiar with trapping...do they suffer? I think a clean shot, right down is somewhat humane. I'll be going on a hunting trip in Missouri in a few months to give it a whirl. I've only hunted varmint before, never larger game.

There are different kinds of traps. You also are allowed to keep a 22 with you so you can quickly dispatch a trapped animal when you get there. As long as you have a hunting Lic and a Rifle permit.

There are different kinds of traps. You also are allowed to keep a 22 with you so you can quickly dispatch a trapped animal when you get there. As long as you have a hunting Lic and a Rifle permit.

However the animal is sitting in the trap until you get there, or caught in a trap. IDK

You're right Chris, they are in the trap till you get there. But fish suffer when you catch them, animals you shoot will suffer with a poor shot and nature does not discriminate and lets all creatures suffer. The butterfly suffers as it is stuch to your windsheild. Depending on your definition. I have given up on the idea of sufferring because I think it is arbitrarily used. A cute furry creature is no more deserving than an ant that a kid is burning with a magnifying glass.

When I hunt I go for a quick clean kill. I do not take the killing of an animal as fun, but it has to be done.

I respect everyones opinion on this, it is just that mine has changed through my lifes experiences.

You're right Chris, they are in the trap till you get there. But fish suffer when you catch them, animals you shoot will suffer with a poor shot and nature does not discriminate and lets all creatures suffer. The butterfly suffers as it is stuch to your windsheild. Depending on your definition. I have given up on the idea of sufferring because I think it is arbitrarily used. A cute furry creature is no more deserving than an ant that a kid is burning with a magnifying glass.

When I hunt I go for a quick clean kill. I do not take the killing of an animal as fun, but it has to be done.

I respect everyones opinion on this, it is just that mine has changed through my lifes experiences.

I do agree with you with hopes for a quick clean kill and that everything is suffering. FWIW I'm not saying I'm against it in anyway, to each their own. I was just wondering if I was the only wierdo with this feeling.

U

I have no problem with it at all. Some trappers use the hav- a - heart traps, some use snares ,and some use both. The way I see it is with the yote, and fox populations being high the more we take out will allow for more turkeys,rabbits and other game that we are low on.

I agree the yotes and fox need to be kept in check to keep the rest in check. the traps that I have the biggest negative atitude towards are the foot clamp things, name? To me th animal has o be in pain the entire time they're trapped there until the trapper can dispense the animals. How often does a trapper check their trap? Daily? That could leave the animal in pain and trapped for 24 hours right? Like I said I know nothing about trapping so I could be way off. I've even learned a little in this thread. I guess my logic seems to be in giving the animal more of a chance but that makes no sense since when hunting half the time they don't even know you're there.

U
I have no problem with it at all. Some trappers use the hav- a - heart traps' date=' some use snares ,and some use both. The way I see it is with the yote, and fox populations being high the more we take out will allow for more turkeys,rabbits and other game that we are low on.[/quote']

I agree the yotes and fox need to be kept in check to keep the rest in check. the traps that I have the biggest negative atitude towards are the foot clamp things, name? To me th animal has o be in pain the entire time they're trapped there until the trapper can dispense the animals. How often does a trapper check their trap? Daily? That could leave the animal in pain and trapped for 24 hours right? Like I said I know nothing about trapping so I could be way off. I've even learned a little in this thread. I guess my logic seems to be in giving the animal more of a chance but that makes no sense since when hunting half the time they don't even know you're there.

it is required that you check your traps every 24 hours,many trappers check them at least 2 times a day. As far as I know the leg hold traps that you are refering to are illegal. snares isn some cases are very safe and I have known hunters that released catches from snares for whatever reason with no ill effects to the animal.

If you wish to get involved in trapping maybe the box traps are the way you should do it. very little stress to the animal and it will ease your feelings as well.

U
I have no problem with it at all. Some trappers use the hav- a - heart traps' date=' some use snares ,and some use both. The way I see it is with the yote, and fox populations being high the more we take out will allow for more turkeys,rabbits and other game that we are low on.[/quote']

it is required that you check your traps every 24 hours,many trappers check them at least 2 times a day. As far as I know the leg hold traps that you are refering to are illegal. snares isn some cases are very safe and I have known hunters that released catches from snares for whatever reason with no ill effects to the animal.

If you wish to get involved in trapping maybe the box traps are the way you should do it. very little stress to the animal and it will ease your feelings as well.

Thanks for the info, really helped.