david8613

who has the best prices in new jersey?

hey guys im gun shopping got 3 permits and would like to purchase at least 2 guns soon, so im bargain hunting. looked at the gunbroker sites, and buds guns but after the additional costs its almost the same buying locally. for my first gun i would like a 40 cal, second i would like a 357, so i could have some fun and still play with 38 special rounds. but if you have other recommendations im listening. i dont mind used as long as its not beat up.

Hey, welcome to the forum and welcome to the firearms sport.

May I ask why 40 cal as your first? Why not a 9mm? Many, including myself would say you should start on a 22 cal. 2 reasons... 1. unless you are already skilled, shooting that 40 cal is a very expensive entry into the sport. 2. a 40 cal is much harder to learn with over other calibers as it is a higher compression round, and thus gives more kick. So either go 9mm or 45.

As far as best option, cant go wrong with a 22 cal. A ruger, buckmark, smith 22a, all great firearms, easy on your pocket to buy, and very easy on your pocket to shoot. For the same price as a box of 50 rounds of 40 cal, you can get a brick, 500 rounds of 22lr.

Next, it would behoove you to shoot the firearm before buying it. Firearms and ammunition do not have a return policy. Nothing worse than buying a firearm, shooting it once, deciding you dont like it and then it sits and collects dust, or starts rusting. a Walther p99 in a 40 cal comes to my mind.

Lastly, if you are really dead set on burning those permits... http://njgunforums.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=11

Keep in mind, considering you can only purchase 1 a month... I hope you pick carefully.

Hello David. Welcome to the forum.

I chose my first pistol by firing loaners out at certain ranges. I really wanted one kind but tried it out and didn't like the weight, feel or the sights. If I had purchased it without trying, I would have probably been aggravated and quit the sport.

Maksim couldn't have put it better. Ask around and try to meet up with some of the members for some hands on.

Soooo true...

It really is a great idea to come out shooting with some of us. Either at the new Bullet Hole meets, or down in Brick Armory on wed nights.

I remember when I got my own FID I was looking at 22's and 9mm handguns.

I read tons of reviews, and knew I wanted a Walther P22 and a Glock 26. For one reason or another, I couldn't get a a p22, and ended up getting a smith 22a. That was the first and only gun I bought without having shot it first. Luckily, it was good, and always has a spot in the range bag rotation.

About 3 weeks later, I had an opportunity to shoot the Walther P22... and the glock. I sure was glad I didn't buy them.

The gun I enjoy the most, I never thought in a million years I would ever consider buying... a 1911, much less a Smith & Wesson. After shooting Wolfy's... I was hooked and ordered mine right away.

Now that I look back, the ones I hung onto, are the ones I had an opportunity to shoot before buying. Handguns and rifles that I bought based on internet research and not on trigger time feel, I have ended up selling or trading up.

Man... I really gotta make it down to BA one night to see what all the fuss is about these S&W 1911s! :D Altho it's probably better that I don't go, cuz I prob can't afford it right now :lol:

Anyway, to the OP, Maks speaks wisely. When I first got my permits, NJGF wasn't around, and I didn't know any other "gun people", so I went with what I thought would be good handguns, and ended up with an M&P 9 and Glock 19 without having ever fired either. Luckily, they both worked out great for me, and I love them both. But, had I had the opportunity to shoot more guns, I would have been a better informed buyer. Granted, I still probably would have ended up at the same conclusion, but, it would have been nice to try some other guns out. Even if you have to spend some money to rent guns to try them out, it's probably worth it, especially now with "one gun a month" in effect. It would suck to waste a permit on a gun you absolutely hate. Good luck.

Soooo true...

It really is a great idea to come out shooting with some of us. Either at the new Bullet Hole meets, or down in Brick Armory on wed nights.

I remember when I got my own FID I was looking at 22's and 9mm handguns.

I read tons of reviews, and knew I wanted a Walther P22 and a Glock 26. For one reason or another, I couldn't get a a p22, and ended up getting a smith 22a. That was the first and only gun I bought without having shot it first. Luckily, it was good, and always has a spot in the range bag rotation.

About 3 weeks later, I had an opportunity to shoot the Walther P22... and the glock. I sure was glad I didn't buy them.

The gun I enjoy the most, I never thought in a million years I would ever consider buying... a 1911, much less a Smith & Wesson. After shooting Wolfy's... I was hooked and ordered mine right away.

Now that I look back, the ones I hung onto, are the ones I had an opportunity to shoot before buying. Handguns and rifles that I bought based on internet research and not on trigger time feel, I have ended up selling or trading up.

I am afraid to shoot the S&W Pro 1911 ;)

I can't afford to buy it if I love it :(

I don't know where you are in NJ. I live up in the northeast. Around here, the Bullet Hole, by far, has the best prices. Other gun shops, such as Meltzers and Ramsey Outdoor are considerably higher in gun and ammo prices. A small but decent gunshop in Cliffside Park/Fairview is pretty good on the Tactical type stuff... Mike's Gun Shop. I was down there in '94, but I remember Calzo's (spelling?) in Jersey City as having pretty good prices at the time.

Again though in this area, Bullet Hole has THE best prices. Also, they have a pretty good assortment of used pistols as well.

As a side note, I have to agree w/ the other folks who recommend something other than a .40 as a 1st handgun. My 1st handgun was a Beretta 96 Centurian (.40). I thought I was all badass w/ owning a .40. I quickly discovered that A.) ammo was more expensive than my wife's Beretta 92FS (9mm) and that B.) I was focussed more w/ the snappy recoil than accurate shooting. I've since sold that pistol off along w/ most of the 40's that I've owned. I primary shoot 9mm, followed by .22lr and then .45acp. I still have 2 pistols I own in .40 (CZ75SA and S&W M&P40), but would rather shoot other stuff that I own.

If you are set on the .40, I'd recommend, if going for a polymer frame, S&W M&P40, SigPro, HK USP. I've owned a Glock 22 (standard .40 fullsize pistol that A LOT of LEO's carry) and thought the recoil was amplified in this pistol. The NEW Glocks, the Gen 4 Glocks, are supposed to be better in the recoil department, along w/ other updates to the pistol. If you are open to metal framed guns, Sig P226 & P229 and CZ.

Hello

I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. However I was not warned to try before you buy. I did not even know you could do that to be honest. I bought a Kimber 1911 and am excited to have it. It's a fine gun and my train of thought was why do the trane on a smaller caliber pistol before you buy what you really want thing. Seems a waste of time and money to me. However try before you buy makes nothing but sense to me.

Factor in these costs as well.

Ammo for my 45 costs a bunch and is hard to locate .So when you do find it you need to stock up. Figure your gonna drop at least 100 rounds each training session at around 37 to 45 cents a round for 45 acp 230gr FMJ which is cheap for ammo. Plus targets, mags, Range dues or hourly time etc etc.

As far as the cheapest price I suggest settling on a specific type and caliber of gun you want before you go looking so as not to get confused when you do go.

Then compare them with local dealers vs online sites as far as price goes. Take into account shipping VS sales tax. Then make a local guy an offer before going online to do a deal. I say this because service from a local dealer is priceless should you have problems so if the prices are close it's worth it to go local.

Start with a 22LR and work you way up. I could never find the shop in Cliffside Park/Fairview. There is one in Ridgefield on Broad ave next to the Elementary school, and the owner is a former employee of Navy Arms of Ridgefield.

Navy Arms home page

http://www.navyarms.com/

Now check this one

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/EveryGun ... spx?id=695

I don

hey guys im gun shopping got 3 permits and would like to purchase at least 2 guns soon, so im bargain hunting. looked at the gunbroker sites, and buds guns but after the additional costs its almost the same buying locally. for my first gun i would like a 40 cal, second i would like a 357, so i could have some fun and still play with 38 special rounds. but if you have other recommendations im listening. i dont mind used as long as its not beat up.

I too like you was in the same boat as I am a sort of a newbie to the gun world myself. You first bet is to research research and more research. Youtube, forums and just about any magazine you can find. Like other members mentioned see if there is someone you can meet up with to try and test out their guns or maybe find a range which rents them. When I started doing my research it was months before I bought my first pistol. Went with a Springfield XD in 40 and that was because I wanted something with safety like a 1911 and stopping power of say a 45 :shhh: . Got to say I absolutely love it. It kicks like a mule but damn it feels good. My only gripe is that finding ammo at a affordable price is like finding a needle in a haystack. I am learning to just buy in bulk and keep it moving. Trust me you will see. Although I love my XD40 I also went with a Sig P250 in 9MM. Just shot it last weekend and enjoyed it very much. A whole lot less kick and before you know it you can go through many rounds in such a short time. Also as everyone has mentioned buy a 22LR for really get some serious practice in. I am about to get one myself and spend some serious time at the range.

I could never find the shop in Cliffside Park/Fairview.

http://www.jerseypolicesupply.com/

355 Anderson Ave

Fairview

Thanks, I have passed the place a thousand times living in Cliffside and North Bergen not to mention is across the street from Dominos pizza where I bought pizza, I checked it out in Google map

I do see a recurring theme here... why the heck do so many people insist on getting a 40 as their first handgun? I mean if you do read the boards, others of course... you will see people stating that 40 is a balance of 9mm and 45acp in terms of knockdown power.... but by all means, it is not the most fun gun caliber to shoot, or easy to learn on.

I was so excited that I had finally got my FID card and a handgun permit that I drove from the Police Department strait to Harry's Army Navy and bought the S&W 40. Smith and Wesson had the same deal that Mak just posted with the $50 rebate or 2 mags. I looked at both the 9mm and 40 and said to the guy helping me I'll take the bigger bullet. At that time I never search the web for information or had ever talked to anyone about guns. I know it was stupid but guys to stupid things without thinking. I still love shooting it but it does kick like a mule compared to my 1911.

I did exactly the same thing - bought an HK p30L as my first - boy did I regret that as soon as my wife got her p229 - I eventually traded the p30L for a 226 and never looked back - who'd have thought that 1lb on the trigger could make such a huge difference....

Shore Shot in Lakewood (exit 89 off the parkway) rents a good range of handguns. Others here can tell you whether Brick Armory (also in Lakewood) rent also. Don't mistake handling the gun for firing it....

I also want to support the 9mm over 40 as a first gun - ammo is cheap - around 21c per pop if you get WWB in PA... and remember - a 40 cal will chamber and fire a 9mm round (once!!) and a 45 will chamber and fire a 40. If' you're buying more than one pistol think carefully to avoid potential mistakes at the range.

Have fun and Happy Shooting!!

G

Lol, another one here. I bought the S&W .40 as my first gun little more than 3 weeks ago and I've since put about 300 rounds through it. I took a lesson and I've been reading up on technique etc and I've definitely been getting better but I have to say I'm still a pretty lousy shot. I bought a 22lr rifle last weekend and I was about a 200% better shot on that right out of the box. Still kinda feels like a glorified pellet gun but it's definitely easier to hit the mark.

I still have one more handgun buyers permit and I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand gun and came on here to get some suggestions. Looks like a 22lr hand gun is in order. I have to say, it's not much "fun" buying a 22 pistol but it sound like it might be the right call.

What about a .38? What's the next cheapest caliber ammo after the 22?

What about a .38? What's the next cheapest caliber ammo after the 22?

Surprisingly, probably 9mm. I'm going to ignore calibers like .25 and .32. If you look around (online) you can find 9mm for about $10.50 per box of 50. Still no where near .22 price, but everything else is even more expensive than that. .38 and .380 and are generally in the 15-18 range per 50, WHEN you can find them, which seems to be pretty rare these days.

Well I guess the 2nd question is.... what's the most commonly available ammo around here? I don't any trouble getting my hands on .22 and .40. And why is it so hard to find? Sorry for all the newby questions.

40 cal is pretty much readily avail... Supply and Demand...

9mm and 45acp are the toughest, after 380acp, but if you look hard enough, you can get a deal. Cabelas has deals usually.

Get a 22lr pistol. It really is alot of fun.

I could never find the shop in Cliffside Park/Fairview.

http://www.jerseypolicesupply.com/

355 Anderson Ave

Fairview

Thanks, I have passed the place a thousand times living in Cliffside and North Bergen not to mention is across the street from Dominos pizza where I bought pizza, I checked it out in Google map

It's literally, right across the street from "It's Greek To Me" in Cliffside Park. I lived in CP for 17 years or so in 3 different locations. I don't believe it's anywhere near Domino's. AFAIK, the only Domino's in the area is on Gorge Road.

He's got a lot of cool tacticool stuff that I've only ever seen for sale on line. Prices aren't bad.... not great... not bad. Have to give kudo's to Mike though. Last time I was in there, he let my buddy and I fondle an HK 416..... yes, a real HK 416 w/ the selector switch that gives one more option that those of us in the civie world in NJ, can't have. Also, had my 1st hands on look at a Trijicon TR24 Accupoint in his shop. I REALLY like this scope for one of my AR15's. I only wish they would make a reticle that is closer to an ACOG vs. a hunting rifle.

A 22 handgun is probably the single BEST investment you can make. Fun and cheap to shoot, easy to control, lets you work on technique without worrying about recoil.

Please don't listen to the Ruger Mark II or III haters - the gun is finicky to reassemble, but after you get the hang of it it's not bad and my Mark II shoots ANYTHING, it will even cycle subsonics. (Some semi-autos require more recoil than a subsonic provides to cycle the pistols action)

I also had the opportunity to shoot a Beretta Neos which had ZERO felt recoil. I can't speak to it's ability to shoot all sorts of ammo - I have no firsthand knowledge of that.