autoxnyc

AK in NJ

OK, apparently I have heard mixed stories about legality of AKs in NJ. Since some of the board members own them I am assuming some variations of it is legal. I read through the threads here but I'm still a bit confused as to what constitutes a legal AK.

Is it similar to ARs? No bayonet lug, flash hider, collapsible stock, and it's name stamped anywhere? Sounds like the WASR 10 low cap version from classicarms.us is legal.

thanks in advance.

- Daniel

Shore Shot pistol range has double stacks in stock, they are prcy though, you can

also order from online sites like http://www.classicarms.us and they will ship the Non military double stack(no flash hider/bayo lug)

without the mag's to a FFL.

Double stack 10 round mag's for the most part suck, The polly ones made by pro-mag never fit or feed correctly

and there are no good military 10 rounders readily available. The Chinese 5 and 10 rounders that come with Mak-90's

are excellent but are extremely hard to find. No one makes factory 15 round mag's, there was a member on here that was selling pinned 30 rounders for $25 or $30 a pop. Personally your better off going single stack and avoiding the mag search

and feeding headaches.

Get a Saiga from ARMS and AMMO then build it out how ever you want (while minding the laws obviously)...

you will end up with a great quality Russian built AK for not very much at all.. The Saiga is offered in several calibers... i have had a few but settled on 7.62x39... its a blast to shoot.. and is very reliable..

Wow, a lot of useful info here.

I prefer not to build one since I don't have a lot of experience with AKs yet and rather buy it as is to avoid any potential issues with NJ law.

So the WASR 10 high capacity(double stack) on classicarms.us site is legal in NJ as long as the mag capacity is not exceeded?

Does anyone know any AK friendly FFL transferers in NNJ?

thanks!

Yes but you have the Romanian hi-cap rifle not the MV version as that will not be legal here.

It's listed right below the Romanian Underfolder in black dress. What town or area do you live in?

FYI Allot of sites that were NJ friendly with shipping hi-dap rifles without mag's to NJ, MD and NY

have all stopped doing it for some reason since January 1st, Not sure if classic is one of them but my friend

was denied by Centerfire systems a place where he has ordered at least a half of dozen Firearms from.

In a worst case scenario, you can always get the single stack and when you feel more comfortable with it open

the mag well up on your own with a dremmel. All Wasr's start off as single stack then the importer opens them up.

With the low cap you will also be less prone to get any of Century's bad mistakes.

I prefer not to build one since I don't have a lot of experience with AKs yet and rather buy it as is to avoid any potential issues with NJ law.

So the WASR 10 high capacity(double stack) on classicarms.us site is legal in NJ as long as the mag capacity is not exceeded?

thanks!

you can do what you wish.. but there is a reason the AK platform has been handed out to countless armies, and grunts across the world.. the weapon is EXTREMELY easy to work with, and really can be fully built modified etc.. with the most basic of tools.. also this would net you a very reliable firearm and a bunch of knowledge in the bargain.. ive worked on cars and stuff for a long time but didnt know anything about firearms really.. and the Saiga was my first rifle.. having NEVER worked on a firearm before in my life.. having NEVER fired the Saiga i just purchased.. it was apart and in pieces that night.. lol it was really fun to build and taught me everything i could ever hope to know about how the AK platform works.. as far as a WASR goes.. some praise them.. some hate them.. some complain of issues.. but i can say this.. my Saiga has had zero malfunction..

I am pretty proficient when it comes to anything mechanical that doesn't involve welding/fabrication. I detail stripped my Glocks, Sigs, Berettas to perform my own trigger job and even alter the creep and over travel.

I took a look at Saigas on the net and they look a lot different than the Romanian AKs. I want a "normal" looking AK, e.g. wood stock/handguard. So I was under the impression they need more work to convert back to that state. Some other place also mentioned they have a transfer bar designed to be used on conventional rifle stocks, additionally the mag well needs to be converted to use normal AK mags?

So I was just wondering if it's worth it to go that route.

thanks,

Daniel

thanks!

you can do what you wish.. but there is a reason the AK platform has been handed out to countless armies, and grunts across the world.. the weapon is EXTREMELY easy to work with, and really can be fully built modified etc.. with the most basic of tools.. also this would net you a very reliable firearm and a bunch of knowledge in the bargain.. ive worked on cars and stuff for a long time but didnt know anything about firearms really.. and the Saiga was my first rifle.. having NEVER worked on a firearm before in my life.. having NEVER fired the Saiga i just purchased.. it was apart and in pieces that night.. lol it was really fun to build and taught me everything i could ever hope to know about how the AK platform works.. as far as a WASR goes.. some praise them.. some hate them.. some complain of issues.. but i can say this.. my Saiga has had zero malfunction..

For a correct conversion you need to move the trigger housing 2" back, and to use standard AK mags you

will also need to do a feed ramp and bullet guide modification on it. The trigger needs to be changed out also as the

stock one sucks but that is super easy to change the unit.

Yes but you have the Romanian hi-cap rifle not the MV version as that will not be legal here.

It's listed right below the Romanian Underfolder in black dress. What town or area do you live in?

FYI Allot of sites that were NJ friendly with shipping hi-dap rifles without mag's to NJ, MD and NY

have all stopped doing it for some reason since January 1st, Not sure if classic is one of them but my friend

was denied by Centerfire systems a place where he has ordered at least a half of dozen Firearms from.

In a worst case scenario, you can always get the single stack and when you feel more comfortable with it open

the mag well up on your own with a dremmel. All Wasr's start off as single stack then the importer opens them up.

With the low cap you will also be less prone to get any of Century's bad mistakes.

I think we're talking about the same WASR

THE ORIGINAL WASR-10 HI-CAP ROMANIAN AK RIFLE

WE HAVE SOLD MORE UNITS OF THIS AK RIFLE OVER THE YEARS ...... BEST VALUE ON THE MARKET FOR AN ENTRY LEVEL HIGH

QUALITY AK RIFLE. RIFLE COMES COMPLETE WITH 1-30 ROUND MAG, SLING, CLEANING KIT, OILER, AND MANUAL. DON'T MISS THIS GREAT DEAL ITEM # ROM-AK...$379.95

I live in West Orange, 15 min west of Newark. I want to find an FFL willing to deal with AKs but won't rob me on the transfer fee either :D

a Saiga build can be as excessive OR simple as you want it..

from the factory the fire control group is garbage.. they push the fire control group way far back to mate it to that "sporting" stock.. ALL that has to happen is this.. you will pick out the "ak" furniture that you want.. and then you simply build around that.. when you convert it back to the way its supposed to be.. the pistol grip goes where the trigger used to be.. and the trigger gets pushed forward.. all of these rifles for the most part have all the holes already there.. it just requires removing an access plate to get to them... no welding or anything required.. since you are replacing the furniture you can get whatever furniture you want.. synthetic.. wood... doesnt matter.. if you want the AK front end you will need an AK gas tube and AK lower hand guard retainer.. really no big deal..

its all in what you want.. in no way trying to push my view.. i just think that for an AK platform the Saiga is a great choice.. and is almost like a blank canvas.. letting you essentially design a gun based around what you want.. there are also NJ legal magazine options (15 rounds) WITHOUT converting to take AK mags (which you COULD do if you wanted to)

Here is my Saiga thread

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1048

if you have any questions id be more than happy to lend a hand..

either way good luck with it..

from the factory the fire control group is garbage.. they push the fire control group way far back to mate it to that "sporting" stock.. ALL that has to happen is this.. you will pick out the "ak" furniture that you want.. and then you simply build around that.. when you convert it back to the way its supposed to be.. the pistol grip goes where the trigger used to be.. and the trigger gets pushed forward.. all of these rifles for the most part have all the holes already there.. it just requires removing an access plate to get to them... no welding or anything required.. since you are replacing the furniture you can get whatever furniture you want.. synthetic.. wood... doesnt matter.. if you want the AK front end you will need an AK gas tube and AK lower hand guard retainer.. really no big deal..

its all in what you want.. in no way trying to push my view.. i just think that for an AK platform the Saiga is a great choice.. and is almost like a blank canvas.. letting you essentially design a gun based around what you want.. there are also NJ legal magazine options (15 rounds) WITHOUT converting to take AK mags (which you COULD do if you wanted to)

Here is my Saiga thread

Great. Thanks for the info, this is definitely an option I will consider.

I was just reading up on this step by step guide here http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm and I get a general idea on what needs to be done. Good point on magazine options, there's no need for me to convert to AK ones if Saiga mags work reliably.

If I do decide to go that route I definitely will have questions for you :p

Here is my Saiga thread

Great. Thanks for the info, this is definitely an option I will consider.

I was just reading up on this step by step guide here http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm and I get a general idea on what needs to be done. Good point on magazine options, there's no need for me to convert to AK ones if Saiga mags work reliably.

If I do decide to go that route I definitely will have questions for you :p

the cross con website WILL give you an idea of whats involved.. but its a really old write up.. some some of the steps are made a lot simpler now.. like those goofy binding screws he has in the back of the receiver.. we dont need to do that anymore..

contact these guys. (http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/main.sc)

They will get you a double stack WASR10, go over it and ship it out for about $420 with a 15/30 magazine. Highly recomended!!!!

Saves you big over Saiga build if you dont want to risk it and gets you a picked gun with a quaranntee.

They will get you a double stack WASR10, go over it and ship it out for about $420 with a 15/30 magazine. Highly recomended!!!!

Saves you big over Saiga build if you dont want to risk it and gets you a picked gun with a quaranntee.

+1 On henderson, they modified a Arsenal rifle for me from K-var and make it NJ legal. Welded the Muzzle break, removed bayonet lug wings, and blocked the mag to 15.

Here it is

2qk8dc5.jpg

Thanks for the advice on Henderson Defense.

Which FFL did you guys use to do the transfer? I'm afraid a lot of them won't touch something like that 8-) I called BH and they told me to check with State Police to make sure.

Paul at Arms and Ammo on this site will do any legal transfers as far as i am aware of.. he is also a very upfront legit guy to deal with..

Nice site, never heard of them before, would have saved me a lot of work in the past but the experience is always good to.

Some of those 74s look really nice!

I actually always wanted to ask the same question. I feel like adding to my pair of guns, and getting an AK. I've known of the Henderson Defense model and Saiga, but I honestly did not want to go through the leg work of converting a Saiga (and playing the 922r game)... so, Paul, I might send you a PM/request sometime in the near future myself.

I actually always wanted to ask the same question. I feel like adding to my pair of guns, and getting an AK. I've known of the Henderson Defense model and Saiga, but I honestly did not want to go through the leg work of converting a Saiga (and playing the 922r game)... so, Paul, I might send you a PM/request sometime in the near future myself.

building a Saiga is simple... god im really starting to think i should be building and selling these things.. :o

building a Saiga is simple... god im really starting to think i should be building and selling these things.. :o

I believe K-VAR already does.