nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

1. Application type New FID/3 Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Pemberton Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Chief

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7 Days(submitted paperwork same day as fingerprints)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Had lawyer

Wow ! That's really fast ! I guess having a lawyer helps.

1. Application type  New FID/3 Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Pemberton Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.  Chief

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7 Days(submitted paperwork same day as fingerprints)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Had lawyer

Any other information regarding the lawyer and why you had one for the initial FPID? Did you bring the lawyer with you when you went to apply, ect?

Jef Henninger and it was because I did an expungement prior to filing. It was a big hassle because apparently he contracts out his work to other lawyers. It took a year to do the expungememt. He did not show up nor did he actually do anything. I told the police department when I dropped it off that if there was a problem that they could contact my lawyer.

I also believe the wait time for Pemberton Township is lower in general because they want law abiding citizens to be able to protect themselves.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID And One handgun permit
2. Police Department where you applied. Woodbridge Police Department
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.  Connie in Permits department
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.  Wednesday the 6th of January to Tuesday February 2nd (Just under 4 weeks).
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). None, other than the annoying two week wait to get fingerprinted by identigo or whatever that company was, and the 55$ charge. Mental health record is the only reason it even took as long as 4 weeks, the PD was done with their part within two weeks, took the longest for the mental health records to come back clean. 

1. Change of address FID for me, initial FID for my wife. Three handgun permits each.
2. Glen Ridge Police Department
3. Detective Mike Medico
4. 7 weeks
5. No extra documents were required
6. Detective Medico was very professional and moved very fast. He told us when we dropped the applications the process would take 1.5 - 2 months, and I almost didn't believe him, considering that my original FID took 6 months (Harrison PD). 

Just applied for 4 permits in Freehold Twp. today.  The secretary stated that it will take 3 months until they are ready.  That seems accurate because I received my neighbor's reference letter on Monday 2/8 and he said he applied 3 months ago.  Freehold was always around a month in the not to distant pass.  I guess not anymore.  Such a great feeling living in NJ!

Seems like there's two threads on the same topic, but here it goes 

1. Application type  FID Address Change/3 Pistol Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. New Jersey State Police Perryville 
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Walsh/Orlando

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 77 Days
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). P2P Permits were printed 9 days before notified I could pick them up.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).- Replace/change of address/handgun permit
2. Police Department where you applied. Midland Park
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Chief
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Very easy and smooth, surprising since I'm in bergen county.

I guess this is a long time coming but i am in firearms mood today so here it goes.....

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID CARD AND THREE PERMITS TO PURCHASE
2. Police Department where you applied. EDISON
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. ONE OF THE LADIES AT THE COUNTER, I DO NOT REMEMBER HER NAME BUT SHE WAS COOL
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. APPROXIMATELY 3 MONTHS (IT'S WHAT I FIGURED IT WOULD TAKE)
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). NOTHING
6. NOTES:

1. THE LADY AT THE COUNTER ASKED FOR MY EMAIL WHICH I WROTE DOWN WHERE SHE ASKED AND THEY DID NOT TYPE IT CORRECTLY SO THEY

CALLED ME ONE WEEK AFTER THEY WERE SIGNED SO I HAD TO ACCELERATE THE BUYING PROCESS GIVEN THE 30 DAY RULE.

2. ON A SIDE NOTE, A WOMAN I KNOW APPLIED FOR HER FIRST EVER PERMIT ONE WEEK BEFORE ME AND SHE RECEIVED HER FIDC AND PERMIT IN

LESS THAN 5 DAYS......WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!!!!! ARE WOMEN GETTING PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT NOW IN NEW JERSEY?

I guess this is a long time coming but i am in firearms mood today so here it goes.....

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID CARD AND THREE PERMITS TO PURCHASE

2. Police Department where you applied. EDISON

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. ONE OF THE LADIES AT THE COUNTER, I DO NOT REMEMBER HER NAME BUT SHE WAS COOL

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. APPROXIMATELY 3 MONTHS (IT'S WHAT I FIGURED IT WOULD TAKE)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). NOTHING

6. NOTES:

1. THE LADY AT THE COUNTER ASKED FOR MY EMAIL WHICH I WROTE DOWN WHERE SHE ASKED AND THEY DID NOT TYPE IT CORRECTLY SO THEY

CALLED ME ONE WEEK AFTER THEY WERE SIGNED SO I HAD TO ACCELERATE THE BUYING PROCESS GIVEN THE 30 DAY RULE.

2. ON A SIDE NOTE, A WOMAN I KNOW APPLIED FOR HER FIRST EVER PERMIT ONE WEEK BEFORE ME AND SHE RECEIVED HER FIDC AND PERMIT IN

LESS THAN 5 DAYS......WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!!!!! ARE WOMEN GETTING PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT NOW IN NEW JERSEY?

just like my wifes first- 10 days!!!  my average is 6,7 weeks altho i havent submitted since our new cleo last fall.

1. Application type New FID & 1 permit to purchase
2. Police Department where you applied. Long Hill Township
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Lt. Sean Brown
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 32 business days (~6 weeks)
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

A one page Personal Information Sheet needed to be completed with information such as phone, address, years at address, previous addresses, DOB, SSN, height, weight, place of birth, drivers license number, employer, and employer phone.
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process Expect a 2 week wait for the prerequisite IdentoGO fingerprinting session

Middletown Police Department

5/13- Filled out FID and Permit application (only getting 1 PP)

5/21- Got fingerprints done with IdentoGO by Morphotrust

5/23- References received and sent back letter to my PD

5/24- Went into PD and followed up with copy of my finger prints receipt because I wasn't sure if I had to bring them back. I read somewhere on here that you have to however with my police department you don't. The women at the desk told me I did not have to bring the receipt in however she took my papers and made a copy for their records.

6/7- Called the records department in Middletown PD and kindly asked for an update on my application. The women was very nice and more than happy to check my status. She told me that they had recieved all my paper work a couple days ago and that they are processing them at the moment. I am hopeful that they will be done soon. A couple of my buddies have told me that my PD is fairly quick so my fingers are crossed!!

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID & P2P
2. Police Department where you applied. Red Bank
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Varies.  They use different people for each permit.
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 4 months.  Did have slight issue with one reference though.
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None.
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).  Whoever is handling your paperwork before it gets sent to the Chief has a face to face interview with you.  Usually receive the permit 1-2 weeks after interview.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). P2P only.

2. Police Department where you applied. Red Bank
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Varies.
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 4 - 5 weeks.
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None.
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).  I start calling the PD after 3 weeks.  Usually get a call back and schedule an interview within the next week and the permit a week after.  You have to keep calling, but everyone in the records department is pleasant and helpful.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Additional P2P's (3)

2. Police Department where you applied.

Bridgewater

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

Robert Hanlon licensing director.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 4 weeks and 2 days exactly is when I got the call

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None and the NJSP criminal records check

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)

NONE

• Like 1

1. Application type: FID
2. Pennsville PD
3. The clerk when I picked the form up (forget his name) and an officer when I turned the form in.
4. Received it after 5 weeks
5. Documents required by the PD: None
6. After the 4th week I emailed wondering about the status of my FID, no response.

Just applied for a pistol permit so I will update my post or add a new one when it gets back.

Wall Township

FID back in 2010 took 3 months

P2P permits applied for on 4/14/16

-Local PD does its own additional reference letters. Also says to fill out applicant questionaire form which they ask that you bring,

despite asterisk'ing it saying its "voluntary" which we all know is BS cuz they'll hold permits up if you don't do it. Huge PITA

-Was told on 6/7/16 "detective has a lot of paperwork, should be a month or so"

-So chalk Wall up as the gold standard 3

month wait time, or I should say systemically 2 months late

Hi - new to the forum and thought I'd add to the data collection:

1. New FID and 2 P2P
2. Ridgefield PD
3. PD Office administrator - Maria
4. 30 days - faster than I expected.
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Usual paperwork, fingerprint card when completed.
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) - They did call and verify my place of work and we had a nice quick chat on my office #.

First Post. 

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). brand new FID Card and 1 PPP
2. Police Department where you applied. East Brunswick
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. woman at PD records department, not a PO
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 3 months
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). standard docs
6. NOTES: had to follow up 2x after 2 months

There isn't enough data to present it in a statistically meaningful form. The thread itself, however, is still useful. A moderator should clean it, really, so only the full reports remain.

This thread is over 6 years old. Have you compiled the data yet?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

1. Initial FID and 2 purchase permits

2. Westfield

3. Records department initially and the some further communication later on with the assistant to Chief of Police

4. About 27 days

5. Standard documents

6. NOTES - References received their letters in the mail 3 days after I dropped off application, they mailed them back the next day after they got them. Fingerprints completed exactly 1 week after application drop off. About 3 weeks in I received a call from a woman saying they got everything they needed but are still waiting on the letter they sent to my employer. I asked her if she can email me the letter and I would personally take it to a manger to be completed. She was willing to let me do that and email her back a signed copy so they can proceed, but also would need the original at some point to put on file. The way my company works is if it's just a normal verification of employment then any manager can complete it. Anything outside of that needs to go to HR. So when I got a copy of the letter that needed to be signed, it is on Westfield PD letter head and right in the middle of the page it has Firearms Identification Card and Permits to Purchase Handguns, checked off. This was upsetting to me because I don't feel my managers should know my business and thought it would have been a more discreet VOE. So my boss sent it to HR and they completed it and emailed back to me 2 days later. I sent to the woman I spoke with and a few days later I got the call that everything was ready for pickup. So process could have easily been a week or 2 faster if it wasn't for the tie up with the employer letter.

1) Initial FID plus one handgun permit

2) Medford PD - Firearms division (Medford, NJ)

3) Firearms division - person varies, the individual that initiated the process for me no longer worked there when I picked up my

FID/permit.  

4) 4 months - too long but I'm in a small town with a small PD which I was told makes a difference.  I had to call to check on the status

at which time they told me it was in final review and would be ready in a few days.  They called me 2-3 days later and told me it was.

5) Standard documents

Note: The smaller southern NJ towns seem to take longer probably because the PD's are smaller with less human resources and I consider a 4 month waiting time excessive (although I've heard of much longer wait times so I guess I shouldn't be too upset).  That said, the person I dealt with informed me up front that it would take 4 months so there were no surprises and the process went very smoothly with no problems.  I paid a $7 fee at the PD when I first picked up my application, $55 for my fingerprints that I had done at a separate facility a few weeks later and then I did nothing but wait 4 months to pick up my FID and permit from the PD.  There were no mix ups, screw ups, delays or additional calls or paper pushing needed so overall I'm very satisfied with the experience.  

New member. Application for FPID submitted 8/17/2016. Still waiting.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FPID w/2 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Ocean City

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Submitted application to: Det Pancoast. Followed up with: Det Mollino on October 4th. Det Mollino said hadn't received fingerprint report from State Police.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Still Waiting

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing extra.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Seems to be taking an inordinate amount of time. My references have yet to be contacted. Any suggestions??

UPDATE: 11/22/2016

Still waiting. Seems to be issue with State Police and fingerprints from MorphoTrust. After a follow up conversation with Detective Mollino I contacted MorphoTrust customer support. VERY unhelpful. All they could say was contact agency and submit a CHRI. Horrible.

UPDATE: 12/24/2016. Merry Christmas.

Finally issued FPID. I followed up with State Police. Turns out they have a helpline (609.882.2000 x2918) to sort out some of these problems. Found out that the fingerprints must be picked up off the system by the local PD agency within 10 days. The OCPD changed the responsible officer during my application. Messed things up. Any issues with fingerprints I recommend contacting the NJSP helpline. They were quite good. Tonya was especially impressive.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 2x P2P / 2x P2P and initial FID
2. Police Department where you applied. Red Lion State Police Barracks
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Don't remember, it was a new Sgt, not the normal guy. Much more polite and pleasant.
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. I got the call on 12/27, Wife got the call her permits and FID were done on 11/22
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Normal Docs
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Wife and I submitted same day. I applied for 2 purchaser permits, she applied for 2 permits and her initial FID. I submitted all my paperwork and she submitted her initial paperwork on 9/26, she turned in her fingerprint papers on 11/05. P2P checks cashed 10/18. Her permits and FID came back 11/22, permits dated for 11/19 (took 14 days for her). I got the call that mine were complete on 12/27, permits dated for 12/13 (91 days from submission to call).

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID
2. Police Department where you applied. Haddon Heights
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Sgt. Garemore
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. About 3 weeks
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Interview with Sgt. Garemore, quick and easy since have a good relationship with PD
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Was quick and easy since they already knew me from fire dept and one of my references was a Detective in a neighboring town and one of our former police chiefs

Edited on Dec 8 with some additional info.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID

2. Police Department where you applied. Weehawken

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Maria in the records bureau. The phone number for this office is 201-319-6099

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. pending, restarting Nov 30, 2016 after a week (explained below).

A little under 4 months.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Driver's license with current address on it.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Turned in my form previously, but had to go back in due to my driver's license not having a new address (moved to a different unit in the same complex). NJ no longer does the green sticker, and the officer said there would be difficulties if my driver's license didn't have the new address. So I went to the DMV and got a duplicate card for the new address for $11 and went back to the police station today.

I was told that the hold up is generally the mental health form as it can take up to 4 weeks for them to receive that info.

The office to drop off this form is on the bottom left of the Weehawken police station. You walk up a side drive-way and there's a sign that says "Records" with "Records Bureau" on the door.

Update Jan 10, 2017

Called today. My application is now at the detectives dept, and I was told it has been there a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I am at the bottom of a large stack so I was told to expect another 3 weeks before it makes it to the deputy police chief, at which point I will be called.

Update Mar 9, 2017

I had a busy February so didn't have a chance to call again until today. I was initially told that my application is completed to where my card just needed to be typed up and I would be able to pick it up later in the afternoon. Pretty exciting. On the later in the afternoon phone call, I was told that the typed card actually goes back to the detectives, and I then have to wait again for them to call me. The wait continues.

Update Mar 22, 2017

Finally got the call from Sgt Mera. Will be picking up my permit tomorrow morning!

Update Mar 23, 2017

Got my card after a brief interview with Capt. Iggy Mitolo.

I was told that the hold up is generally the mental health form as it can take up to 4 weeks for them to receive that info.

Fairly accurate for any county with a large "inner city" population (Essex, Union, Hudson, Middlesex. Passaic Camden, Bergen, etc.), assuming all other things happening ASAP.  Counties like Warren, Hunterdon, Sussex, etc. probably have faster turnarounds as their county adjusters' offices are, more than likely, not as busy.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID

2. Police Department where you applied. Weehawken

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Forget now, was an office-type-lady. I've noticed this station is very friendly.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. pending, restarting Nov 30, 2016 after a week (explained below).

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Driver's license with current address on it.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Turned in my form previously, but had to go back in due to my driver's license not having a new address (moved to a different unit in the same complex). NJ no longer does the green sticker, and the officer said there would be difficulties if my driver's license didn't have the new address. So I went to the DMV and got a duplicate card for the new address for $11 and went back to the police station today.

The office to drop off this form is on the bottom left of the Weehawken police station. You walk up a side drive-way and it's marked "Records" or something like that. 

My drivers license had a different address then the one I was applying for my FID card and permits to have on them and I got them no problem. DMV gives you a piece of paper now that they email you when you make a change of address. My pd accepted this both times I applied for additional permits as well. Currently my fid card and dl have 2 different addresses and have not had any issue at any ffl with that piece of paper from the dmv