nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

1 hour ago, pjd832 said:

You mentioned the delay in you case was “permits typed in Trenton” unless something drastically changed...the issuing agency typed them out when I lived there ....I was present most times as they typed them in front of me.

8-9 months is criminal 

not 8-9 months.  My initial FID/Permits were approved last fall.  I just put in for another 3 P2P's and Princeton PD sent out ref letters within 3-4 days of my application going in.  They've been really fair and professional.  

I misunderstood sorry....all of it is ridiculous and a huge infringement, ...the discussion of how fair and professional departments are because it only take 2 months for them to “allow” one to exercise their right is crazy ....just proves the incremental technique is working...they keep taking and in a week everyone is ok with and justifying the bs.....speaking in broad generalities not directing at anyone in particular

43 minutes ago, pjd832 said:

I misunderstood sorry....all of it is ridiculous and a huge infringement, ...the discussion of how fair and professional departments are because it only take 2 months for them to “allow” one to exercise their right is crazy ....just proves the incremental technique is working...they keep taking and in a week everyone is ok with and justifying the bs.....speaking in broad generalities not directing at anyone in particular

You know you're absolutely right.  I'm new to this process, so I never purchased guns when all this documentation and permitting was required.  They are following the rules and not requiring anything above and beyond the state law, and they are doing it as quickly as one could expect.  

7 hours ago, Maksim said:

Hey guys, working on a project for this collection effort.

Are some towns requiring to print forms at home and bringing? 

My town does.. Kearny.  I need to fill out the STS-33 and the SP-66 electronically and bring those printed to the PD. They won't accept forms filled in by hand. Reduces mistakes they said .. which I believe .. i have chicken scratch myself. Then they print the reference forms to be filled out on its on the person to go to the references to get them filled out, signed and returned.

State troopers are not known for their typing skills.  And the paperwork is done on an electric typewriter which requires a high degree of accuracy unlike a computer.  To give them some credit, the station commander, usually a lieutenant, signs the the FID cards and permits to purchase.  I'm serviced by the Red Lion station.

I've been told time and again that the bottleneck is in West Trenton, not the local station.  I wait 5 1/2 months for my permits to purchase.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID):  P2P - existing FID
2. Police Department where you applied:  Hillsborough PD
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD:  Joanne 
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit:  24 days
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form):  employment verification letter needed to be signed by my boss
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) N/A 

Hillsborough has always been very efficient and professional regarding firearm permits. 

• Like 1

So i'm now at 5 weeks from filing my application for 3 p2p's in Princeton.  My references returned letters to police department within 48 hours of receiving them and they've already called my wife and spoken with her to confirm I'm not a wife beater nor a dead-beat.  Everything else was completed and turned in at application turn in time.  We'll see how much longer this goes on.  I filed for my FID and 3 p2p's at time of initial filing in September 2018.  

I'm filling this out on behalf of my wife and my twin boys 

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID):  P2P - existing FID
2. Police Department where you applied:  Hillsborough PD
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD:  Joanne 
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit:  27 days
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form):  employment verification letter needed to be signed by her HR  department ??? Somewhat awkward in our  opinion 
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) N/A 

Hillsborough has always been respectful of our 2nd amendment right, but requiring my employer to sign off on a employment verification letter felt very awkward. 

One of my twin boys received  his initial FID and 2 permit to purchase in the same 27 days.

The other twin got his initial FID and 2 permit to purchase just this past Wednesday 02/13/19, (36 days)

1. FID application

2. Gloucester City PD

3. Current contact: Secretary for the paperwork/Chief for getting the card

4. Time taken to issue the FID: 3 months

5. Additional documents required by the PD: None that I remember

6. Notes: Usually officers down here respect the 2A but its just an extremely long wait. When my mother went for her pistol permits, They actually called gave it to her nearly 30 days into her 90 day period. She had to go and get the chief to do the 90 day extension as she wanted two pistols which took nearly a week for them to call us back and pick up the paperwork again.

1. Application type (Initial FID/1 permit ).

2. Police Department where you applied. Newark PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

Det. Sanders

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

3 1/2 months and waiting still.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

2 references 

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc

They miss placed my fingerprints paperwork but it was found 2 days later.  

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID):  initial FID/ 1P2P
2. Police Department where you applied:  Hamilton twp (mercer county)
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD:  front desk lady
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit:  40 days and counting
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form):  normal paperwork
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) only can call between 9am to 11am then again 130pm to 3pm. And everytime you call you get hung up on 2 or 3 times before actully getting told the state police are the ones holding it up (which we all know is bs) also keep in mind this is for my current job so it would be awesome if that took some priority.

On 1/27/2019 at 4:01 PM, dilbert1967 said:

State troopers are not known for their typing skills.  And the paperwork is done on an electric typewriter which requires a high degree of accuracy unlike a computer.  To give them some credit, the station commander, usually a lieutenant, signs the the FID cards and permits to purchase.  I'm serviced by the Red Lion station.

I've been told time and again that the bottleneck is in West Trenton, not the local station.  I wait 5 1/2 months for my permits to purchase.

Hi Dilbert, 

Your post is pertinent to my situation. I recieved  and email on August 14 that my criminal background check was complete and as of today I have not recieved any other notification. 

Is there any process you know of to expedite my card? I also used red lion.

6 hours ago, Ouchthathurts said:

Hi Dilbert, 

Your post is pertinent to my situation. I recieved  and email on August 14 that my criminal background check was complete and as of today I have not recieved any other notification. 

Is there any process you know of to expedite my card? I also used red lion.

There is a similar thread where I posted updated information regarding how long it took for the process to work for me.  I can't find it.   To sum it up:  instead of 5 1/2 months, the new process takes 3 1/2 months.  I submitted the application on line on 30 April, the Criminal History Check was completed on 5 May, the Application was approved on 7 July, the Permits were typed up on 30 July, and I got the phone call to pick them up on 13 August.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID  + 2 pistol permits

2. Police Department where you applied.- Wharton NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.- Det Bob Lupia & Det Rich Ornelas

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.- 22 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I posted a thread asking if there was a back up in Trenton because I hadnt received an update that i had passed my background check after a while.  Few days later, 22 days after i initially applied online Det Lupia called to tell me to swing by and pick up my id and permits.  Told him i was suprised because i hadnt heard about my background check, he informed me that the local department is the one that does the actual background check, and in fact i could have had my paperwork a week earlier if the state police had updated one of the forms they needed.  30 days is the law, 22 days was amazing.  Glad i live in a community that had a police department that are all 2nd amendement soldiers.  They told me the day i applied they would process it as fast as they could.  Only regret i have is not applying for more permits initially. 

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied.- Hillsborough

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.- Joanne

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.- 22 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) None

I am so glad that this process became so much simpler. All done on-line. Best part, I did not have to get my boss to sign off on letter.

Hillsborough has always great to deal with. I just didn’t like having to get my boss to sign off on me. I’m glad that is no longer the case. 

Going through the process now, will update it when I get through the steps

Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) FID + 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied.- Keyport

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.-  Gerilyn Baker

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.- 99 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Employment Verification via Email

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) Gerilyn is only there Monday-Friday from 8:30am - 4:00pm, and is the one that processes the paperwork. Town Website says you must download and fill out application and mental health forms, but I was handed them at the PD when I went down to ask how to get a FID.

My Timeline so far is:
1/23 Application and paperwork pick up from local pd on
1/29 Fingerprinted 
1/30 Paid for 212A online 
1/30 Completed paperwork Submitted to Pd 
2/5 References receive letters and respond
3/2 Followed Up via Email, was told still waiting on employment verification 
3/3 Employment confirmed, told that I should hear back by end of week to set up an appointment for FID
3/16 Local Government closed to public during state of emergency 
3/31 "At this time we are continuing with the suspension of non-emergent contact.  I hope to have some good news for you soon."
4/21 Called and left message, Did not get a call back.
4/24 "I am hoping to have your application complete soon.  I can only ask for your patience as we aren't doing business as usual right now.  I will have you in as soon as I can.  Stay safe."
5/7 Was called by Gerilyn and told everything is ready
5/8 Picked up FID + 2 P2P

Gerilyn has been very helpful- answered all of my questions, and usually responds to my calls within the day.
Process was long, I assume the Covid-19 pandemic starting on 3/13 and ongoing played a big part of the delay.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:03 PM, Mr.Forks said:

Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) FID

2. Police Department where you applied.- Montgomery, nj

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD:

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 37 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Employment info

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) 

My Timeline so far is:
2/12 Application and paperwork Submitted online

2/13 References responded
2/20 Fingerprinted
2/25 Criminal history completed - Received Email
3/04 Received call from PD and sent Employment info
3/05 PD confirmed on receiving Empid etc.. and hinted should be done soon

3/09 Followed up via general phone not detective, was told still a long way and multiple steps, requested for ETA but no luck

3/19 Picked up FID

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) - FID + 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied - Gloucester Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD -  Tony (really friendly guy)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 140 days exactly from FARS application (120 days with local PD).

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - Some docs related to US residency/Green Card.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) - N/A

Timeline:

02/19 Application submitted via FARS online.

02/19 References responded in less than an hour.

03/02 Fingerprinted.

03/05 Background check complete email received.

07/08 ID & Permits picked up.

Im posting this info on behalf of my wife

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied.- Hillsborough

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.- Joanne

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.- 28 days

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) None

I am so glad that this process became so much simpler. All done on-line. There is a delay now due to extremely high increase of gun sales. However HIllsborough has always been great. My wife had to make an appointment to pick up her permit to purchase. Reason why, Because of the COVID-19 outbreak, the PD didnt want too many people at one time entering the office.

On 3/11/2020 at 3:24 PM, NoOfficialComment said:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) - FID + 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied - Gloucester Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD -  TBC

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - Ongoing, 26 days so far

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - TBC

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) - I am a LPR (Green Card holder) with a US citizenship application pending.

Timeline so far is:

02/19 Application submitted via FARS online.

02/19 References responded in less than an hour.

03/02 Fingerprinted.

03/05 Background check complete email received.

UPDATE: 03/20/20 - Conacted local PD as a follow-up, they said they have everything they need but processing is 1.5-2 months right now. So best case I'm looking at at least another 4-6 weeks. Maybe everyones virus panic buying craziness will have calmed down by then!

Hey have you got an update for us? What are other people seeing right now?

On 2/4/2010 at 9:57 AM, nott said:

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners. If you already have your FID, please consider making a post in the following format:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

2. Police Department where you applied.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

1. Initial FID

2. Hathorne

3. Sargent Hoswoth(sp)

4. 32 days

5. None

6. My appointment to get fingerprints was canceled and I had to repeatedly reschedule to get my original appointment back due to the closure of the identogo offices.

I am new here as of today and this is my first reply,, I applied using the NJ online FARS system.  Applied for both FID and permit to purchase a handgun (all done on NJ website) with all info completed on 4/2.  Sent the completed application off and was then scheduled via email to get fingerprinted, which I did 2 days after scheduling.  I recieved the approval letter on 4/17 and after 14 days received the approval email of my FID and picked up the card on 4/21 at my local PD.  Havent heard anything regarding my pistol permit application so I have no idea about that and I was hoping someone could shed some more light as to my next step in this process.

1 hour ago, BigDuny said:

I am new here as of today and this is my first reply,, I applied using the NJ online FARS system.  Applied for both FID and permit to purchase a handgun (all done on NJ website) with all info completed on 4/2.  Sent the completed application off and was then scheduled via email to get fingerprinted, which I did 2 days after scheduling.  I recieved the approval letter on 4/17 and after 14 days received the approval email of my FID and picked up the card on 4/21 at my local PD.  Havent heard anything regarding my pistol permit application so I have no idea about that and I was hoping someone could shed some more light as to my next step in this process.

They didn't come together?

2 hours ago, BigDuny said:

This kind of squares with what my FFL told me - the NJSP are processing new applications faster than those of us that already have a FPID and are applying for P2P's. This poster got everything done in 19 days. I applied for three P2P's on 3/30 and just got notice yesterday that the Criminal Background Check was completed System is still SNAFU'd.

Adios,

Pizza Bob