nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

At first, I thought my local PD was trying to keep me from owning firearms. For a couple of weeks, I couldn't get the cop on the phone or set up a time for me to drop off my paperwork to him. My pal Spartacus99 up there submitted his paperwork before me, and I got my FID card first. So, I guess my initial assumption was wrong. Not only that, but after I picked up my card and pistol permits, the parting words of wisdom Sgt. Saunders spoke to me were, "Have fun!" :)

At first, I thought my local PD was trying to keep me from owning firearms. For a couple of weeks, I couldn't get the cop on the phone or set up a time for me to drop off my paperwork to him. My pal Spartacus99 up there submitted his paperwork before me, and I got my FID card first. So, I guess my initial assumption was wrong. Not only that, but after I picked up my card and pistol permits, the parting words of wisdom Sgt. Saunders spoke to me were, "Have fun!" :)

Sounds like a cool Sgt.

Yeah, he was cool about it, and I can't really complain...especially when I read on this and other message boards that guys have been waiting over 6 months and still haven't gotten their FID card. A co-worker of mine, who owns guns, lives in Delaware. When I asked her how long it took for her to get her FID card, she responded, "What's that?" According to her, for the last pistol she purchased less than 2 years ago, she just went into the store, filled out a piece of paper, and walked right out with a gun. No fingerprinting. No 2 references. No mental health waiver form. No waiting. And while I'm whining and ranting like a little baby, no sales tax either!

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID & 2 permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Glen Ridge PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Det. Nick Salerno and Roslyn

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks for both

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). just the standard stuff

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). The process was smooth and professional.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID & 5 permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Plumsted PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Cindi, the PD receptionist

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7 weeks, 1 day

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). just the standard stuff

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Process was okay and met with a couple of officers when I picked up my stuff. Talked shop about guns and we're gonna get together to shoot.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID + 1 permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Englishtown PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Chief

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7 months

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Usual

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Never exactly figured out if the holdup was with local PD, SP or FBI (squeaky clean record)

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). change of address (same town, different street) & 1 permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Clifton PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Det. Cusack (and a lady named Cassie that made the phone call to tell me it's ready to be picked up)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 1 month and 15 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). all forms (FID app, mental health records search, and criminal history request form) in duplicate with original signatures (can't photocopy the filled out forms).

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I don't know if a change of address requires another background and reference check, but my references were never called and they never received any forms to fill out. Also, my case might be slightly different and might have been expedited though, being I am a state employee - NJSP already has quick access to my records. ;)

I was a bit worried it was going to take longer, because the instruction sheet mentions in bold letters "PLEASE DO NOT CALL FOR STATUS UPDATES, UNLESS MORE THAN 2 MONTHS TIME HAS ELAPSED."

1. First time FID and one permit.

2. South Orange PD.

3. Leut. James Aeoza

4. 8 weeks and 5 days for both.

5. Just the standard stuff.

6. Leut. Aeoza was very polite and apologetic for the long wait which was due the mental records turn around time.

1. Application type: Initial FID and pistol permits

2. Police Department where you applied: Toms River PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Elaine

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 7-8 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): 1 extra form. Nothing major.

6. Notes: Pleasant Experience, very helpful staff

1. FID

2. Readington Township

3. Detective William Federico

4. 35 days

5. In order to verify your employment they want a paystub (you can black out all data except address of emplyer and name) so they dont have to call your employer. This has speeded up the process from 45 to 35 days in 2012

6. PP`s take exactly 35 days in as of Jan 1 2012

1. 6 x PPP w/ existing FID

2. Hamilton TWP (Mercer County)

3. Michelle

4. 58 Days

5. None

6. I did not provide my SSN on the Mental Health Form. She tried to make me provide it, but I showed her on the form where it said it was optional. I had to call to tell them that they were late. They had the permits the next day. The excuse she gave was that the officer that did the permits was very busy and had other responsibilities.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).Initial FPID & 2 PP's

2. Police Department where you applied.Stafford Twp

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.Tara DeMarco

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.42 work days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).None

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). New FID and One Pistol Permit.

2. Police Department where you applied. Manasquan Boro.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Patrolman Smith and Sergeant Murphy.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Approximately five and a half months (October to early March).

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process Called Patrolman Smith after two months, and then once per month afterward. Always received the response, "we haven't gotten anything back from the State Police." My father spoke with Sergeant Murphy when he had seen him and asked about the status of my permit, as he was friends with him, and Murphy acted on my application without delay and I received my permit in a little under two weeks after that in March. He explained that he would write a letter to the State Police since the time delay was so outrageous. Don't know if he wrote the letter but he was very helpful after that.

My wife's FID came thru last week as follows:

1. First time FID and one permit.

2. South Orange PD.

3. Leut. James Aeoza

4. 8 weeks for both.

5. Just the standard stuff.

6. Leut. Aeoza was very polite and I used the trip to the PD to apply for 3 PP. I'll let you know how long those take here.

1. Application type- FID + 2 permits

2. Police Department where you applied-Woodbridge Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD- mostly the clerks, never spoke with the Chief

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 4 weeks! :clap:

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)- Had a juvenile crime that I over analyzed and turned out to be nothing. Did my prints on 5/5, and on 6/1 received a letter stating my permits and card are ready to be picked up.

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners. If you already have your FID, please consider making a post in the following format:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

2. Police Department where you applied.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

I think I may have a record breaker here...

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): Change of address for FID from Clark, NJ to Morristown, NJ + 3 Pistol Purchase Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Morristown Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Det. Stuart Greer

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Application submitted on 4/30, Permits and new FID available for pickup up as of Tuesday, 6/1. 33 Days, or 4 weeks and 3 days!!

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). 2 forms mailed to references

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). None.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Application submitted on 3/30, Permits and new FID available for pickup up as of Tuesday, 6/1. 33 Days, or 4 weeks and 3 days!!
nine weeks, one day
  • Like 1

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). - new FID + 1 pistol

2. Police Department where you applied. - South River

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - 13 weeks!

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). - The lady there screwed up my friends address twice for the mental health form. Then when she got the address right, the mental heath form header said Jessica instead of Josh :roll:

• FacePalm 1

1. Application type: 3 PP's

2. Police Department where you applied. - Wayne

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Jamie

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - on the clock as of 6/1/10, called 6/22/10, supposedly "on the supervisor's desk", checked 7/1/10, "we will send you a letter when they are ready." Went to pickup 7/6/10 - wrong height listed...

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - None submitted

6. Notes - None

1. Application type: FID + 1 Handgun

2. Police Department: Raritan Township (Hunterdon County)

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Sgt Taggart.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: From signed paperwork to issuance, less than 1 week. Prints and references were submitted 8-10 days prior, so total was less than 3 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): None.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process: It helps that my background is spotless, but Raritan Twp PD was very helpful and efficient.

1. Application type: 4 PP's

2. Police Department where you applied. - Freehold

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Girls in Records and Officer Simpson

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - 4 weeks to the day.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - None

6. Notes - None

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Application submitted on 3/30, Permits and new FID available for pickup up as of Tuesday, 6/1. 33 Days, or 4 weeks and 3 days!!
nine weeks, one day

Whoops, should've been April, not March.

1. Application type: FID + 1 PP (Yes, I know - I should have gotten 2)

2. Police Department where you applied. - New Brunswick

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - ID Department - Detective Hurbst

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - Applied on 5/20/10, Picked up 8/19/10 - 3 months.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - Form regarding juvenile record and waiver.

6. Notes - Applied 5/20. Letters were sent out to references dated 6/1. References did not receive letter until approximately 6/15. FID is still pending.

Update 7/2 - 1 reference was received, another wasn't. Huh...

Update 8/19 - FID was approved and went through on 8/16. Picking it up today!

1. Application type: FID and 2 Permits

2. Police Department where you applied: Toms River

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Female clerk---Elaine?

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 50 days---May 13 (when fingerprints were handed in) to July 2.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): a 'who else lives in the house' form.

6. Notes: No hassles, a good experience.

I spoke with the Chief of Police in Lakewood the other day. He said an FID takes them a couple months but once you have an FID a P2P should only take a few days to a week tops. When I mentioned that I Had to wait over 3 months for P2P from my town he said that was insane! Finally, someone from the other side of the fence that agrees with us!!!!

-Scott