nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Change of address with 3 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Monroe Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Gifford and Inspector Gross

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 41 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). No issues. Everyone was easy to work with and the process was a lot faster than my previous town of Hopewell, NJ

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). permit for pistol

2. Police Department where you applied. berkeley hgts

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. dective patrick moran

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. put it in today 4/11 - to b updated

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). std stuff

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

got the permit today!!! so it took just about a month

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Three P2P's with existing FID

2. Police Department where you applied. Little Egg Harbor

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Malega

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 118 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing non-standard.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

This was my second experience with the application process. Was quoted 12-14 weeks. At week 14 I started calling since none of my reference letters had gone out.

Detective Malega is extremely helpful and friendly and is simply overwhelmed in my opinion. Once the permits were done he volunteered to deliver them to me at my home on his time since my 90 minute commute does not allow me to be home when the desk is open. I called about twice a week once I hit about 14 weeks and never got a bad attitude or what I felt was BS, they are just backlogged.

The wait time sucks, but what can you do.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Wife - New FID and three P2P's

2. Police Department where you applied. Little Egg Harbor

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Malega

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 118 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Nothing non-standard.

Wife applied for her initial FID and three P2P's same time I did (Jan 13th) in the above post.

She did not get fingerprinted until April 24th.

Detective Malega had her FID and P2P's completed with mine yesterday, May 10th.

Considering she did not get printed until 4/24 and had FID in hand 5/10 not too bad.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID and 1 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Mount Olive Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Ptl. Russ Hatzel and dispatcher (drop off/pick up)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 32 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). No issues. Paperwork submitted, 1 week later Morphotrak prints were taken, 5-7 days later employer questionnaire and 2 reference letters were received and returned, 18 days later FID and P2P were available for pick up.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) Initial Firearms I.D. + 2 Pistol Purchase Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Livingston Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Records Clerks and Officer Banzhaf

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 87 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). No additional forms at all.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. Officer Banzhaf always picked up the phone and returned followup calls the same day, and the two records clerks were very pleasant to deal with when submitting applications and picking up permits.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

Initial FID w/ 1 permit

2. Police Department where you applied.

Flemington PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

Det. Mariashin(sp?) He was very helpful and returned all my calls when I had questions. However, the officers there are either very disrespectful or just ignorant. They looked at me like I was crazy when i dropped off my app for 2 more permits last week

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

3 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

None

As I said before the detective was very helpful. Everyone else, not so much. Some of them looked/sounded like it was the first time they had ever heard of the FID or pistol permits.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) Initial Firearms I.D. + 1 Pistol Purchase Permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Gloucester Township Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Unknown Female Officer

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 101 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). I downloaded the NJSP forms, filled them out and took them to the PD but was told that they had their "own" package, which turned out to be the very same forms that had been recopied about 1000 times... and don't you dare use BLUE ink, its apparently fordidden, even though it doesn't state that anywhere on the forms.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. My wife received her FID and P2P 2 weeks earlier than mine, they claimed that "my" finger prints were never received and had to request them again. They told my employer when they called that I was applying for hand gun permits and asked my employer how they personaly feel about gun ownership... (strange time to be conducting a personal poll on the subject) also took our "mug shots" right there in the police station in front of our daughter... talk about feeling like a criminal just to exercise a Constitutional Right.. WOW! Glad I'm not treated like that when I exercise my 1st admendment rights....

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) FID & P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. PALISADES PARK PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. VARIOUS OFFICERS AT THE DESK

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. INITIAL APLLICATION SUBMITTED 4/18 - SUBMITTED MORPHO RECEIPT 5/6

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). NONE

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. NONE.

Woohoo! Just called my local PD and was told my FID and permit will be done next week. He's just waiting on references which were mailed today. So from the day I submitted the morpho receipt should be around 3 weeks.

Couldn't be happier with Palisades Park PD

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID and P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Brigantine, NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Sgt Mclasky

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 29 days

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). My application went through quickly, but my girlfriend (who applied a few days before me and was fingerprinted two days after me) has not had her references contacted yet.

1. Application type:

Initial FID with 3 P2Ps.

2. Police Department where you applied:

Hopewell Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD:

Detective Dan McKeown

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit:

Applied April 10th, 2012.

Fingerprinted April 18th, 2012.

Notified of completion on May 16th, 2012.

FID and P2Ps acquired May 22, 2012.

Time from application to acquisition 42 days.

Time from fingerprinting to completion 28 days.

Time from application to completion 36 days.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form):

References each filled out this form. Was handed in along with STS- 033 and SPS- 66.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process:

Det. McKeown was easy to deal with and very professional. Had some slight trouble getting in contact with him after a message was left stating that my FID was completed, but nothing a follow-up call didn't fix. Information on the police website was out of date. Overall a good experience. Well...as good as government red tape can be, that is.

1. Application type: 3 Handgun Purchase Permits

2. Police Department where you applied - Fair Lawn

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD - Detective Ferreira, Detective Roskowsky

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit - 81 Days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form) - Notarized document stating that you are not a convicted felon/alcoholic/drug user/mentally ill person etc.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)

I was careful not to call until Day 49, at which point I found out that they were still waiting for one of my reference letters. They had the letter within 10 days and it still took another 3 weeks for my permits to finally be approved. Ironically, they told me that calling/emailing to check status was unnecessary, yet I'd bet they wouldn't have notified me of the missing letter if I hadn't called.

Woohoo! Just called my local PD and was told my FID and permit will be done next week. He's just waiting on references which were mailed today. So from the day I submitted the morpho receipt should be around 3 weeks.

Couldn't be happier with Palisades Park PD

Still waiting... "available in a few days" has now turned into nearly 2 weeks and I can't seem to get in touch with the Lt to see if my references have been received or not. I don't understand what the holdup is...

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID and 4 Pistol Permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Westfied, NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Robin Marko - Assistant to Chief of Police

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 22 days

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). The PD did send a Letter to my employer asking if there is any reason I should be denied a firearm - this seemed above the state requirement to verify employment

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 2 PP w/ existing FID

2. Police Department where you applied. East Brunswick

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. No personal interaction

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. approx 6 weeks

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Nearly the same amount of time (6 weeks) for my original FID w/ 2 PP, letters and calls for reference were done within the first week in both cases. Process seems fairly standardized over at EBPD. Happy with the results!

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): Initial FID

2. Police Department where you applied: Lakewood

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Records Department and Detective DeLea

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Almost 11 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Nothing extra

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): Detective DeLea was away for two weeks and one reference never received a letter, both of which caused a delay. The women in the records department and Detective DeLea were all courteous and gave no problems.

I am submitting my forms on Monday the 25th of June.

Here is the info so far.

1. Application type FID and 2 Handgun.

2. Police Department where you applied Elmwood Park.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD LT M. Foligno.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Total time was just over 10 weeks.

5. Documents required by the PD Just the 2 forms needed.

6. Notes - Nothing special at this time. Had to call at 8 weeks to check on it then at 10 weeks again was able to pick up a few days later.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID with 1 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Garwood

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Lt.Stoffer

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 73 Days

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Sorry I didn't apply for more p2p. Overall good experience.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID) FID & P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. PALISADES PARK PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. VARIOUS OFFICERS AT THE DESK

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. INITIAL APLLICATION SUBMITTED 4/18 - SUBMITTED MORPHO RECEIPT 5/6

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). NONE

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. NONE.

Just spoke with the Lt and my permit/FID will be ready tomorrow! The wait is over!!

1. Application type: FID/1 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied: Chester

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Lt. Thomas Williver

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 31 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Aside from the PD calling my home and leaving a message saying my paperwork was in (my wife checks all the messages and was NOT happy :), overall the experience was easy and painless. Once or twice I tried to call and check in, but felt stopping by the police dept. was better...this way the Lt. in charge of the paperwork could put a face to the name.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial permit with 1 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Lebanon Twp PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Kathy Goracy

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 4 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Receipt from Morpho showing date/time prints were taken.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). None whatsoever!

Just picked up my FID and 2 permits today. Here's my experience:

1. Applied for FID + 2 permits

2. Mount Laurel PD

3. Detective Rudderrow

4. Met with Detective with application on 6/21/12. Fingerprinted at MorphoTrak on 7/14/12. FID and permits picked up on 7/30/12.

5. Required valid NJ driver's license and birth certificate.

6. Detective Rudderow and his staff could not have been nicer and were very professional. A note to anyone who is a renter -- when you initially apply you should have a copy of a utility bill as proof that you reside at the indicated address. It is not formally required as a form of ID but the Det. asked me to drop a copy off because a landlord will not release any information about who resides in their community. Also, most of the time a delay will be caused by references on your application not returning the forms to the PD in a timely fashion. Gently remind them if you think you need to. For a first time gun owner it was a relatively easy process for me.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID and 1 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Plainfield PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Mrs.Ali in records dept

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Dropped off App 7/11 & Fingerprints on 7/16. Reference Letters on 8/11. Called 9/1 said previous PD's have yet to respond to requests, 9/6 called NJSP , 9/20 called again previous PD's responded after call to NJSP, 89 days so far and still dont have it

5. Documents required by the PD Aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Applicant Flow Sheet which consisted of just basic info and employer and citizenship status

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) None as of yet other than me going there 3 weeks after i submitted to get a status update

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).FID w/ 3 P2P (initially only 1)

2. Police Department where you applied. Spotswood

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Cheryl (in records department. Never spoke with an officer)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 2 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Walked in with my filled out forms and was asked if I filled out the Juvenile records form. I said I only filled out what was from the state so they handed me a form which I think asked me to state that there were not any juvenile records which had NOT been expunged. Double negative, I know, but I'm pretty sure that's what it asked.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). I dropped the forms on the 19th and paid $7 at the time. Couldn't schedule fingerprinting till the 26th. I realized I had initially asked for only 1 P2P so I stopped by the PD on the morning of the 26th and they had no problem upping it to 3 permits and taking another $4. One reference said they mailed back their form on the 28th, not sure about the other. Got a call this morning saying my FID and permits were ready.

1. Application type - New FID, 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Jackson

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Records people and CLEO

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 4 months + 1 day

5. Documents required by the PD: standard apps/finger printing

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. - Missing 1 ref letter at week 7. It was hand delivered 2 days later. (glad I followed up with a call or god knows how much longer I'd have waited)

1. Application type: Initial FID with 2 P2P.

2. Police Department where you applied: Hopewell Township Police Department (Mercer County).

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Det. Zorn.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit:

Applied July 24, 2012.

Fingerprinted July 31, 2012.

References contacted by phone August 16, 2012 10:45AM.

Notified of completion August 16, 2012 Noon.

FID and P2Ps acquired August 16, 2012 2PM.

Time from application to acquisition 23 days.

Time from fingerprinting to completion 16 days.

Time from application to completion 23 days.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). References each filled out this form. Was handed in along with STS- 033 and SPS- 66.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Det. Zorn was easy to deal with and very professional. Easy getting in contact with him after a message was left at my home number stating that my FID & P2Ps were completed. Information on the police website was out of date and but they know it and I was told they were correcting it. Overall an easy experience.

Greetings from Newark, New Jersey.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial I.D. and 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Newark P.D. 22 Franklin St.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Sanders

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Still in Process. I submitted my application and money orders on July 30, 2012. The detective gave me a morpho trak form and reference letters. I paid $57.50 to Morpho trak and was fingerprinted on August 1, 2012 and submitted those forms to the Detective in person at his desk on August 10, 2012. I will keep you all updated.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). NONE.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). NONE.

The Newark P.D. takes applications on mondays beetween the hours of 9am to 11am. There are only 2 Detectives in the Newark P.D. that perform the checks. You can print the papers they will give you right from the Newark P.D. website. I am already mentally prepared for a long process. I say that because there are only 2 detectives handling paper work for all of Newark on top of other duties. Also there is a boom in citizens who want to legally purchase firearms. The monday I returned my application I was #21 of 32 and I was there at 9:15am. Also note that some mondays they may not be there. I tried to show up on August 6 only to have the front desk turn me away because they were out in the field, try to call ahead, I hope this helps someone save time.

1. Application type: FID and 1 Permit (limit is 1 per month)

2. Police Department: Union PD - Union NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with : Detective Baird

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: just shy of two months

5. Documents required by the PD: no special documents besides the typical identification and release papers

6. Notes: overall a very good experience. i wish it could have been a bit quicker as i was planning on going to the range quite often this summer, but now that time has passed. definitely give yourself two months to get an FID from Union PD. I still have to pick up my FID/permit. Their hours are until 10pm, but everytime i go there after work there is always some excuse why they can't give it to me (i've gone twice - first time they said no one was there that could give me the FID/permit; second time they said the door to the detectives area was locked) i'm going again tonight and will hopefully have all my stuff. i want to buy a 1911 this weekend. :)