nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

1. Application type: Initial FID with no permits.
2. Washington Township, Gloucester County
3. Someone in the detective department. Someone different actually gave me my card. Don't remember names.
4. Just under 2 months
5. 2 references, which I had to deliver and return.

EZ PZ
Glad my township seems to be reasonable.

EDIT: This was over the summer FYI. In July I received my FID.

1. Application type  New FID/permit .
2. Police Department where you applied. Pine Hill Borough
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.  Ellen (Front desk) / John Maguire (Agent)
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. ~5 weeks
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). 1 Form from Borough requesting same info as standard app
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Nothing interesting, slight delay to me fat fingering DL number on application. Overall easy to deal with and cooperative and helpful for NJ.

Hi all - new member here, and just saw this thread:

1. Application type: New FID with 2 hand gun purchase permits
2. Police Department where you applied: South Orange PD
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Lieutenant Detective Mavanda (I may have spelled that wrong)
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Approx. 5 months (Aug - Dec) - see notes.
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Standard application, fingerprints, 2 references
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). 

It may seem like the process took forever, but I have to give praise to the detective - I initially gave him incorrect addresses for my references, so they did not receive the letter, and subsequently my references were really slow to respond (1+ month). He also had to work with multiple state agencies for the background checks (I just moved in from out of state). Based on some horror stories i've read, it would've been easy for him to reject my application as incomplete/incorrect, etc. So I appreciate his patience.

1. Application type: 3 p2ps
2. Police Department where you applied: Clifton PD
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Det Cusack
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Just under 12 weeks (was advised 2.5-3 months)
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): ask for proof of address, e.g. utility bill. Otherwise standard.
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

You need to set an appointment. He could have seen me in a couple days, but I couldn't make that time and the next available was two weeks later.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).Applied for two (2) Pistol Permits
2. Police Department where you applied.  Ewing Twp PD (Mercer Co)
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Twp Hires Retired PD Officers Part time only. Also handles ABC and other permits.
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 11-2012 3 weeks  December 2014 3 days
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). All standard NJ Firearms, Mental Health Local PD Form

Application process was smooth and error/delay free.  Very Good Information on how and needs to fill out forms properly.  Was advised on initial permit would be three weeks and it was.  No issues.

Newer Online process does speed up process.  Did view a few people who had to come back as they did not fillout forms properly, used pencil or could not be read.

Number of permit allowed changed from only two then to three and now back to three.  Chief of agency has say on the number.  State law is one permit every 30 days.

1. Application type: P2P

2. Police Department: Woodbridge Township
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Connie? She's nice.
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Dec 24 - Feb 10... 48 days?
5. Documents required by the PD: No add'l docs req'd
6. Notes - sell me something

1. Application type- permit w/ existing FID
2. Police Department where you applied- Montvale, Bergen County
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD- Clerk
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.- A commendable 2 weeks
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Std ppwk w/ online record check
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Stay on top of your references! I was informed that one cause of delays are from references not promptly returning forms.

1. Application type- permits
2. Police Department where you applied- Township of Union (Union County)
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD- Detective Marra (appointment Mrs. Crespo)
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.- Called Feb 24, Went to PD on Feb 26, Approval letter in the mail (dated 3/26), picked up 3/30 -- 1 month total
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Std paperwork with online record check

Needed to book an appointment to make a fingerprint comparison card and meet Detective.  

Was told 1-2 months.  My references didn't get the paperwork until March 7.  The last reference was sent 3/17.  Pretty happy it went smoothly and quickly.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). ... 2 P2P
2. Police Department where you applied. ... Lavallette
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. ... Patrolman Ryan Grenhold
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. .... 5 DAYs, using 212A ONLINE APPLICATION I :preved:
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). ... None
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). ... None

12-11-2015 Edit:  My 3 references were never contacted and mental health check was done within the 5 days.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). ... 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. ... Lavallette

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. ... Patrolman Ryan Grenhold

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. .... 5 DAYs, using 212A ONLINE APPLICATION I :preved:

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). ... None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). ... None

Awesome.. do they mail out references ? and what about mental health check.. I thought that would take atleast a week and half for paperwork to go out and back in.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

First time FID and PP

2. Police Department where you applied.

Clifton PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

DET. Cusack

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

It took almost 4 months

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

The detective gave me a form for each of the refs to fill out and sent it back to the detective and he gave a another form with info on the fingerprinting place.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Had to call the detective 3 times and left him voicemails before he called back so i can schedule and appointment to meet with him and hand in the paperwork. He told me he is the only one doing FIDs and PP and he does it only couple of days a month.

1. app type  (EXISITING FID)    1 P2P

2. PD  TINTON FALLS

3. Name of contact - RECORDS EMPLOYEE OF T.F.

4. Time Taken to issue -  13 business days

5. documents required - Mental Health, Standard Application, NJSP on line Back ground check

6. Notes - easy process,  after the Conn incident it took 30 business days although the on line back ground check wasn't in place at that time

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners. If you already have your FID, please consider making a post in the following format:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). - FID & 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. - Linden

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - The Clerks only

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 100 Days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - None

- None

1. Application type Initial FID and one PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Bayonne 
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Mr. Scribble Signature
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Seven weeks
5. Documents required by the PD The usual, plus two personal references. Currently laid off, unsure whether they contacted last employer or not. 
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process Impressed with the turnaround considering I have resided in two additional states in the last 10 years prior to NJ.

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners. If you already have your FID, please consider making a post in the following format:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).  Initial FID and 3 permits

2. Police Department where you applied.  Woodbridge Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.  I want to say Colleen?

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.  29-34 Days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Juvenile Record Search Consent form (don't recall the form number at this time)

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). FID and permit paperwork were completed and signed on May 5th, however due to the fact that I was out of the state I wasn't able to pick them up until the 11th (which is why you see that date range in question 4). Surprisingly quick, efficient, and friendly at the permit department.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID)     = 2 x permits

2. Police Department where you applied                = East Brunswick, NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD     = Debbie & Diane (detective burl)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit                = Still waiting (since Mid-Nov 2014)

5. Documents required by the PD                           = All Standard

6. Notes -                                                                 = Been calling weekly since Mid-April 2015. 

Not sure what to do next…

EBPD informed me that my request is on the Sergeant desk waiting for his signature (since Mid-April 2015)

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 P2P w/existing FID
2. Police Department where you applied. NJSP Bordentown Baracks
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Trooper XXXXXX
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 12 Weeks (start to finish). 11 weeks if the permits weren't dated a week before.
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard State Police forms: background check (done online) and mental health check.
6. Notes - Submitted my P2P forms at NJSP in Bordentown. I was told 10 to 12 weeks. The Trooper was very professional and courteous. My "problem" is the whole process. He told me they went from five, to two, to one Trooper in West Trenton doing the investigations for the whole state. That to me is ridiculous. He agreed. It took my P2P's 12 weeks and I have my FID already. He told me it would probably take 6+ months if I had no FID card.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. East Windsor Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Brian Gorski

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7/14/2015 - 7/27/2015 / 13 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). none except for Dr's certification that a previous medical condition is in remission.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). A very pleasant experience.

1. Application type: Change of address/2 P2P's
2. Police Department where you applied: Red Lion State Police Barracks (Southampton Twp, NJ)
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Sgt. Kerrigan
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Received p2ps and new updated FAID on 12/11 (97 days)
5. Documents required by the PD: Standard docs
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process: Sgt in charge of the firearms there has been notoriously hard to get a hold of. I don't have high hopes that these will be back within a month or 2.
  • My references got called and asked the questionare over the phone on 10/7
  • Just called for an update on my apps on Nov 13th (70 days in), and was told i had at least another 4 months to go, their average wait time is over 6 months. 
  • Ended up writing an email to the governor about the wait time on 12/08
  • When I received my p2ps and Faid card, they had an issue date of 11/24 (got the call to get them on 12/10, 2 weeks later)

Hello, I received my FID for the first time here in Brick, NJ back in January of 2015, here's my experience.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): First time FID application
2. Police Department where you applied: Brick Township Police Department (http://www.brickpd.com/)
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Two different secretaries, one when I dropped off my application and another when I picked up my FID card, can't remember their names, but they were both nice and very helpful.
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: ~2 months
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Nothing extra, you just have to pay them in cash, no debit/credit card
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): It was painless, just a waiting game

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 P2P w/ existing FID
2. Police Department where you applied. New Brunswick
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Negvesky (not sure of the spelling but it's pronounced something like that)
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7/3/2015 (Technically officially 7/15/2015) - 9/22/2015 / 69 days officially, 81 days actual - See Notes
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).  "Releases" to contact my medical professional and employer - Detective swore that they were not additional "Forms" but "Releases"
6. Notes    Applied 7/3... Technically 7/15 because they made me come back to sign additional "releases" (NOT FORMS!  Releases!)  Did the online form 212A on 7/16.  Apparently my references didn't get the reference form in the mail until 8/14.  Those got sent back right away.  Then it got stuck with the family court for the domestic violence check - another 2 weeks.  Then the Detective in charge took vacation, and the chief did too... then when he got back, the secretary was out so he couldn't get access to the typewriter...  was promised the permits last week 9/17, but got them Tuesday, 9/22

1. Application type: 3 p2ps

2. Police Department where you applied: Clifton PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Det Cusack

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 7 weeks 2 days (permits were dated 6 weeks 5 days). Also needed to schedule appt about a week ahead of time.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): ask for proof of address, e.g. utility bill. Otherwise standard.

Permits are now on a new form that show the 90-day expiration date.

Also, they will now do extensions same day. Before you had to drop off the permit with a note on why you need extension. Now you set an appt with Det Cusack, drop by with permits, he disappears to "run some checks", assuming you pass he returns with extended permits.

So I just got the phone call this morning that my permits are available to be picked up at my local PD!  Here's the timeline.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): First time Handgun P2P x2
2. Police Department where you applied: Brick Township Police Department (http://www.brickpd.com/)
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: A secretary, who told me it will take "around 4 months give or take a month or so", aside from that answer from her, she was very nice and very helpful in making sure I had all the proper forms filled out correctly.
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit:  July 26th - October 30th, so 96 days (3 months and 4 days)
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Nothing extra
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): It was painless, minus the very long waiting game

1. Application type  New FID/3 Permits
2. Police Department where you applied. Pemberton Township
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.  Chief
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7 Days(submitted paperwork same day as fingerprints)
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Had lawyer