nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 2 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Jefferson Twp

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. 3 different officers and one person in Records

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 115 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard forms

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Friendly staff. I had to follow up 3 times. First time was told the reference letters "never made it in". Got new letters and it took another 4 weeks after that.

1. Application type: Initial FID + 2 P2Ps

2. Police Department where you applied: Hoboken

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Lt. Roofe; then Sgt. Marnell

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 203 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Standard forms

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): Application got lost during the transfer of responsibilites between officers, but was eventually found. Besides that, both officers were polite and professional.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Duplicate FID / 3 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Beachwood

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Diane (Very pleasant and helpful. Could not have been better)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Employer receives the same reference questionnare as my personal references. (bs)

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). New FID W/3PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Clark

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Debbie

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). None. Debbie was very helpful explaining the process.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Wharton

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Det. Hamilton

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 6 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard Forms

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Called the day they were ready

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID and 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Brick Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Woman in the records dept. Courteous and professional.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Told 3 - 4 MONTHS!

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Morpho's fingerprinting prior to submission of application.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). None yet...

1. Reference forms were mailed out by BPD and received within two days of application submission (very promising).

2. Reference forms were promptly completed and returned the same day received by both of my references.

3. It's now been 5 weeks and patiently waiting.

Will update when called to pick up my permits.

1. Application type: Initial FID + 3 P2Ps
2. Police Department where you applied: Mahwah
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Officer behind the glass, Storms
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: N/A, Fingerprinted on 4/12 and submitted paperwork on 4/12. References got forms on 4/23

Got FID and permits 6/7
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): 2 applications
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): Officer Storms was very friendly and seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject. Mahwah wants you to get fingerprinted first and hand everything in at once.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID change of address and 2 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. NJSP - Bridgeton Barracks

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. TPR Evans (?)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Called to follow up today (after 34 days.) Was told total time is now taking 3 - 4 months.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Only Standard forms

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Tpr was helpful on the phone, looked up my record on the computer and told me what paperwork was complete and what he was still waiting for. I found out that reference checks is one of the last steps in the process through this barracks.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 2 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Marlboro

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Initial Officer Peter Paul, at end Officer Murphy plus Secretary

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 64 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard forms

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). My wife and I applied together on a Sunday (we had made an appointment and Marlboro is very accommodating). Officer Paul was very nice and even suggested we change the 1 PP to 2 since he said many folks don't like the first gun they purchase. We got our prints done about 2 weeks later and waited. My wife got a call that her prints needed to be redone. We did that about a week later and the next day she got a call to come in and pick up her card and pp. I became concerned that something happened to my paperwork and I called the officer assigned and left a voice mail. She called me back, actually tracked me down since I was in the car and she called the house and said she found my file and everything was OK and she would leave for the chief to sigh. The next day we went to the station to pick up my wife's permits and I asked the lady who does the prep work if she had mine yet. It was on her desk. She checked with the chief, did the FID and PP by hand since her typewriter was broken and got it signed by the chief before we left. I have nothing but praise for the Marlboro PD. When we applied Office Paul told us not to call before 6 weeks. He pointed to a stack of folders that were over a foot high. The lady who does the paper work has to hand write out the cards and PP's and that takes a long time for one person. AND firearms permits are not her only job.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID with 2 P2P
2. Police Department where you applied. Belleville PD
3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Clerk in records dept, unsure of her name.
4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Applied 1/31/13...Permits ready 7/3/2013...5 months 3 days
5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard forms only
6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)The process went very smoothly. I had already filled out the required forms before going in. Took about 10 minutes and I was out.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FID with 3 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Wayne PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Multiple clerk sin records dept, unsure of names.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Applied 1/10/13, fingerprints 1/17/13, FID and permits ready 3/5/13

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard forms only, applicant brings completed reference forms

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) Everything went smooth. Employer was never contacted. Clerk said they just kept the employer info for reference

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. Edison

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Firearms Coordinator

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 14 weeks. Paperwork was dropped off on Dec 12. References and employment verification were returned first week of January. Permits were finished on March 20.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard forms plus Employment verification. The letter they sent to my HR department specifically referenced Firearms permits.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). The Firearms coordinator was not friendly. I went back to check on the status of my permits on Feb 13. She told me that she was very busy and that I should not come back until she called that the permits were ready.

1. Application type: Initial FID with 1x handgun permit. Called PD later and upped it to 2 permits before they issued it.

2. Howell Township

3. Mrs Vigliotti

4. ~ 2 months

5. Application, reference letters from 2 people, employment letter, fingerprinting. I was told they check local hospitals for metal health issues.

6. Slow but it went okay. Said they would be happy to extend the permits out to 180 days if I came back and paid an additional fee.

1. Application type: Initial FID with 1x handgun permit. Called PD later and upped it to 2 permits before they issued it.

2. Howell Township

3. Mrs Vigliotti

4. ~ 2 months

5. Application, reference letters from 2 people, employment letter, fingerprinting. I was told they check local hospitals for metal health issues.

6. Slow but it went okay. Said they would be happy to extend the permits out to 180 days if I came back and paid an additional fee.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): 1 permit with existing FID (Weird, she said "Only 1?")

2. Police Department where you applied: Bloomfield, Essex Country

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Didn't ask or notice. Nice lady thought.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Sent in 1st week of Jan 2013 .. still waiting

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Mental Health + 2 references

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): None yet, else I'll be calling Evan Nappen! (J/K)

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): FID change of address

2. Police Department where you applied: Denville, Morris County

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Chief's secretary, Sue Adams

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: about 13 weeks, long delay on NJSP processing

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Mental Health + 2 references

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): Very professional and responsive police department, but they did send a third reference paperwork request to my supervisor at work

1. Application type: Mutilated FID + 3 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied: Union Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Det. Baird

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 2 Months, 7 Days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Standard

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): The detective told me I needed to get a new FID card after he noticed that they never signed it. The unsigned card was a replacement for my original FID which had a misprinted FID number. Other than being on my third card in 1 year, the process was smooth and there were no other issues.

1. Application type: Initial FID and P2P for my wife and myself

2. Police Department where you applied: Township of Denville

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Debra Egbert Records Clerk

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: 2 months for my wife 2 month 3 weeks for me. Delay caused by my employer not returning the reference form

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Standard

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): Debra was a pleasure to work with. She returned all calls and emails promptly and quickly sent a 2nd reference form to my employer after they claimed to have lost the first one. By quick I mean the second one was received 2 days after I was told what the hold up was.

1. Application type.

2. Police Department where you applied.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

5. Documents required by the PD.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process.

1. Application type. Initial FID w/ 4 permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Stafford Township

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Denise Neice

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 2 months and 2 days

5. Documents required by the PD. None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process. I would have received everything at least 3 weeks earlier. Job was slow in returning job verification. After one mailed copy and three faxes and a phone call directly to my payroll department by investigator, verification was faxed back. One good thing about the delay was I was able to add 2 additional permits to application for 4 total. Definitely worth the three week wait in that aspect. Overall very happy with the process and my towns's efforts.

Washington, Warren County

initial FID and 2-P2Ps

the PD secretary but signed by the chief. I never actually saw any LEO.

took 13 days from date I turned in paperwork and they actually called to tell me.

1. Application type:

COA on FID and 2 permits

2. Police Department:

West New York, Hudson County

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD:

Three different people but all were nice and polite

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit:

Applied 01/24/2013 and picked up on 4/4/2013 (70 days)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form)

None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney)

They did knock on my door at 9:40pm one night to verify that I lived there. They did call work to verify my employment. All in all they were very nice to deal with and considering the hectic times they moved fairly quickly. I do know they are buried in applications. I went up yesterday to see how things were moving and they were nice enough to add a third permit. So COA +3

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID with 2 handgun permits

2. Police Department where you applied. Fair Lawn

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Firearms Division

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 7 weeks

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Notarized form saying you are not a criminal.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

Quoted 6-8 weeks timeframe for permits. Good luck calling in to check status of permits. You have a better chance of the President answering the phone.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID): FID with 1 handgun permit

2. Police Department where you applied: Fair Lawn

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Firearms Division

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Less than 3 weeks (I am not kidding)

5. Documents required by the PD

(aside from the standard application and the mental health release form): Notarized form stating I am not a criminal, alcoholic,

narcotics user, never been in mental institution

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process

(unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.): Submitted docs on 3/21/13 - done by 3/5/13

Kudos to the Fair Lawn Police Dept.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID New FID and 1 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Rockaway Twsp

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit turned in march 11th, had to wait 2 weeks for fingerprinting then received everthing April 9th

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form)

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)It seemed pretty smooth considering how it seems for everyone else

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

Initial FID and one p2p

Eastampton Twp

Police Clerk Carol Stone

47 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

None

Was told at time of application "expect 6-8 weeks" as the "NJSP are so busy"

Had zero issues just a long wait, but all in all it was pain free and pleasant to deal with the ETPD.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

Initial FID and one p2p

South Brunswick Twp

31 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

None.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FPID & 2 P2P

2. Police Department where you applied. Ocean City

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Detective Pancoast

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 79 - 81 Days / 11.5 weeks. I got the call they were done and picked up at the PD two days after they were dated.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc). Took approx. 6 weeks for references to receive their letters in the mail. Permits were issued a week after I left a message asking if my reference letters made it back through the mail to the station. Other than that the process was painless and Det. Pancoast was helpful.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). Initial FPID + 2 PP

2. Police Department where you applied. NJSP, Augusta Barracks, Augusta, NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Sgt. Wistermayer

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 89 days (Applied 01/31/13, Fingerprinted 2/13/13, Checks Cashed 3/26/13, Ready 4/30/13)

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Standard forms, Copy of DL and Birth Certificate.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). Friendly. You could pick up application anytime but had to schedule an appointment to drop it off. That took an extra month to get the next available date.

Last time I was "in limbo" I called at the 30-day mark and asked if they needed anything from me or my references. I was told the paperwork was with the county. (FWIW I believed them - the local PD doesn't seem to be particularly anti-firearms)

So far I have called at the 30 day mark, the 45 day mark, the 60 day mark, the 90 day mark, the 100 day mark, the 130 day mark and each time I get the typical "in a couple of weeks" response.

The last time I called they told me that by the end of April it will definitely be done. Here we are May 1 and guess what, you got it, still no FID!