nott

NJ FID application data collection effort

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).FID and 1 permit

2. Police Department where you applied. Belmar

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Det Desserich and Det Mark ______ dont know the last name.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 45 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). 2 pages of questions,

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).Everything went pretty smoothly, the hardest thing was the wait.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). FID with 4 permits

2. Police Department where you applied.Woodbridge PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.Not sure but was pleasant to deal with

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.Applied 8/4(clerk said should take 4-6 weeks)editmail came today saying i'm approved and can pick it up- so 6 weeks plus a day

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).Besides the FID/permit app and the release form for the mental health consent, they also had me fill out a form for consent to check my juvie records i guess

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).only about 2 weeks in will update with any events- day of application i paid just for the fid and 4 permits fees... scheduled a fingerprinting in newark which i got done with today 8/20... brought the completed fingerpint form back to the clerk same day... lady mentioned they're just waiting for njsp background check i guess and also haven't received my references... contacted them today(my references) and they both sent it in this week(wednesday and thursday)... so it looks like on my end i'm done barring any unforeseen circumstances with my references (ie- getting lost in limbo on the way back to the PD)

now just patiently(for now) waiting.. will try to do a couple range trips inbetween to hold me over...

might check out classic pistol or ready aim fire since i'll be down in south jersey(chesterfield) for the weekend...

and a friend of mine invited me to come shoot his px4 next week...

Edited by deni

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 6 permits w/existing FID

2. Police Department where you applied. West Orange PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. George Lopez

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. Mailed in application, received 7/27 and ready for pickup 8/13. 2 1/2 weeks.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). All forms plus yellow consent to release mental health records thingy

6. Notes - PD initially said they can only issue me one permit at a time. I called NJSP firearms investigation unit and spoke to det. Williams. He then called local PD and told them they can't put a limit on number of permits I can apply at the time. Local PD then went ahead and processed the application for 6 permits. Turn around was very fast I think the bottleneck was actually the wait for my friends to mail back the reference. One thing to note is the issue date on the permit was printed 7/29 when in fact I was notified to pick them up on 8/13. I'm sure I can argue that point but I simply have no time to make trips to the local PD during business hours.

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners. If you already have your FID, please consider making a post in the following format:

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

2. Police Department where you applied.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

1) FID + handgun permits

2) Haddonfield

3) Det. Ortiz

4) 30 days for FID, about 14 days for subsequent pistol permits

5) None

6) Seemed pretty cool about it. I liked Det.Ortiz and we chatted about firearms for quite a while.

1) new FID + 1 handgun permit

2) Bridgewater Twp

3) glennp knows, I asked him to fill it in...

4) 45 days for the whole thing. 6/1 - 7/15 Most of the wait was for the fingerprint appointment with MorphoTrak (6/28 was earliest) and there was the 4th of July holiday in the middle there.

5) the usual paperwork and forms and references.

6) The officer was professional and courteous. Answered phone calls & questions. All in all a good experience.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). - FID and 2 pistol permits

2. Police Department where you applied. - Lincoln Park PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - JoAnn in the Records Department

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - 40 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - none

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). - none

I spoke with the Chief of Police in Lakewood the other day. He said an FID takes them a couple months but once you have an FID a P2P should only take a few days to a week tops. When I mentioned that I Had to wait over 3 months for P2P from my town he said that was insane! Finally, someone from the other side of the fence that agrees with us!!!!

-Scott

Both times I applied for permits in Lakewood it took a month.

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID).

FID with 1 permits

2. Police Department where you applied.

Brick township.

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD.

I think her name was Kaci.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit.

Applied 7/13. Picked up on 9/14.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form).

Just the standard apps.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.).

Was told several times that the application was on the Officer's desk, and then the Chief of Police's desk, but this only added a week to the wait.

1. Application type: FID + 3Pistol Permits

2. Police Department where you applied: Franklin Lakes

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Pt. Officer Cook/ Lt. Osenbruck

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 30days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). Finger printing Form.

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). No complaints, quick and friendly.

1. Application type: Pistol permits (5)

2. Police Department where you applied: Wayne

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Sgt Don Pavlak

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 5 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). none

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.) I know the guy who does the permits personally so I usually get them in record time. Although last time I applied it took me about 4 months to get the pistol permits. Story was that they were b/t police chiefs and nobody was there to sign them.

1) FID + 3 Pistol Permits

2. Wall, NJ

3. Kevin Pressy

4. just shy of 90 days

5. Sheet with general questions (domestic charges? Military status? References.) and previous addresses Link

6. Nice guy to work with, I have 3 new permits in, hopefully they will come in quicker (UPDATE: PPs took 2 months and 8 days)

1. Application type: Pistol permits (3)

2. Police Department where you applied: Clifton

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Det. Cusack

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 38 days

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). none

6. Notes - I dropped by yesterday to try to drop off exemption forms, but no one was there (I missed them by 5 mins) so I wasn't able to submit them. I also wanted to follow up on my app. I got a call today that the permits were ready.

1. Application type: FID change of address and Pistol permits (3)

2. Police Department where you applied: Butler NJ

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Secretary to the Chief ( I forgot her name )VERY NICE PERSON TO DEAL WITH.

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 94 Days

6. Notes - This is the second time that I had to deal with RAMSEY NJ POLICE DEPT. SHAME ON THEM. I recently moved to Butler NJ. Obviously I had to change my address on my FID card. At the same time I applied for some pistol permits. The Butler PD have been nothing but NICE through the whole thing. The hold up was with Ramsey PD AGAIN and getting the records to Butler. When I lived in Ramsey no matter how many pistol permits you apply for they magically are finished on the 90th day after your application was submitted. Now I move to Butler and MAGICALLY on the 90th day they do their part so I can get the FID card and PP. RAMSEY NJ purposely holds apps over 30 days even if they have all the info. I am totally convinced now.Glad I moved out of that town and never looking back.

I actually had a good experience at Bergenfield PD.

1. FID and 1 Pistol permit (newbie mistake!)

2. Bergenfield, NJ PD

3. Det. Boria - was pretty cool

4. 6 weeks exactly

5. Standard form

6. Notes: I spent 2 weeks before able to get a scheduled finger printing date from Saigan Morpho. Det. told me to call him once I've done the finger printing. 4 weeks later, I rec'd a mail stating I can pick up my FID and permit.

1. FPID and 3 Pistol Permits

2. Clifton PD

3. Kassie Krum and Detective Cusack

4. 3 months, 2 weeks

5. Standard forms. Edit: The "blue card" was actually the FID itself :)

6. Notes: I really think that me being cordial and friendly with Kassie, (as I try to be with everyone <_< ) may have helped my app move along quicker and definitely helped to avoid hold-ups.

I'm starting this thread hoping to gather enough data about the FID/permit application process across NJ to compile a reference for new gun owners.

Is this data used for any purpose? Where is the Reference?

• Like 1

Is this data used for any purpose? Where is the Reference?

Id say its so that if you are going to go get a PP or your FID card you can check this thread and see if your town is in here. Might give you an estimate of how long you are going to wait and/if you are going to run into any BS. Especially since some of the people on here say it has taken months to get PP's or FID cards in some towns

1. Application type: FID card w/ 2 Handgun permits

2. Police Department where you applied: Delran PD

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD: Sgt. Mitchell

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit: Initial application on Oct 8. References complete on Oct 20. Finger printed on Oct. 25th

5. Documents required by the PD: Mental Health Records

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process: Sgt. Mitchell was very friendly and returned my calls within 24 hours. He said it should take no longer than 30 days. I will update this post when I get the good news.

12/3/2010 - Got the call that my permits were ready today. So just under 2 months.

1. FPID and 3 Pistol Permits

2. Clifton PD

3. Kassie Krum and Detective Cusack

4. 3 months, 2 weeks

5. Standard forms. Edit: The "blue card" was actually the FID itself :)

6. Notes: I really think that me being cordial and friendly with Kassie, (as I try to be with everyone <_< ) may have helped my app move along quicker and definitely helped to avoid hold-ups.

I had a fairly long conversation with det. Cusack last week. We chatted about how long Clifton takes to process the permits and FIDs and we talked about the CCW bill in the works right now. Apparently, it's just him and Cassie working on gun permits, and he only spends 1/4 of his time on it and Cassie spends 1/2 of her time on it. The department doesn't have the budget to hire an extra person just for permits. Since you already got your initial permit, each time you apply for more should be quicker (about 35 days). They have to mix the new applications with the ones requesting more permits. They don't want to delay those new applications any longer than it is, but they also have to accommodate folks like us who apply just about every month.

1. Application type: 2 PP's

2. Police Department where you applied. - Belleville

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Girl in Records office

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - Applied on Weds, received call on Fri PP were available.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - None

6. Notes - None

1. Application type (FID/permit w/ existing FID). 3 permits W/existing FID

2. Police Department where you applied. North Plainfield

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. LT Kohler(SP?) runs records division

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. letter was dated 2 calendar days under a month,

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.). very efficient. references received letters 3 days after I submitted paperwork. Initial FID took 6-7 weeks, and that was with a less than reliable reference.

1. Application type: 2 PP's

2. Police Department where you applied. - Belleville

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. - Girl in Records office

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. - Applied on Weds, received call on Fri PP were available.

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). - None

6. Notes - None

2 days? am i reading that right?

1. Application type FID + HPP

2. Police Department where you applied. Basking Ridge Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Vivian Fentress (Very friendly and helpful)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 3 months

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)

Required a letter from Psychiatrist I had been to back in high school, following a death in the family and some other family illnesses. Police Chief Bobowicz also called my home to get in touch with my father (I live at home, college student etc) to make sure he was aware of my applications. He also called to speak with me, regarding my references answers to how much I drink (one said none, one said mild to moderately). After being asked (somewhat rudely) what the discrepancy was due to "How could two people who supposedly know you SO well have two such different answers?", I explained that I have not been in a social situation with one of my references where drinking would take place, while the weekend earlier my family invited the other reference over for my mother's birthday party at which I drank 2 beers over 5 hours. He proceeded to ask me when my "last DUI" was. I told him I'd never had one, he then asked the last time I was arrested for disorderly conduct while intoxicated was. Again I told him I've never been arrested before. Finally he asks me the date of the last time was intoxicated was, I explained I've never been intoxicated in my life. After a long pause he told me I'd be getting a call shortly to pick them up. It was a bit strange because I had only heard good things about the chief (he was appointed fairly recently), but he was less than courteous. It was frustrating because I knew I had to play this game and ride it out to get the FID/HPP. :icon_neutral:

Thats funny. Last time I checked...getting drunk off your a** wasnt illegal.

1. Application type FID + HPP

2. Police Department where you applied. Basking Ridge Police Department

3. Name of the person you dealt with at the PD. Vivian Fentress (Very friendly and helpful)

4. Time taken to issue FID and/or permit. 3 months

5. Documents required by the PD (aside from the standard application and the mental health release form). None

6. Notes - anything pertaining to the application process (unforeseen difficulties, chief of police calling your home, you hiring an attorney, etc.)

Required a letter from Psychiatrist I had been to back in high school, following a death in the family and some other family illnesses. Police Chief Bobowicz also called my home to get in touch with my father (I live at home, college student etc) to make sure he was aware of my applications. He also called to speak with me, regarding my references answers to how much I drink (one said none, one said mild to moderately). After being asked (somewhat rudely) what the discrepancy was due to "How could two people who supposedly know you SO well have two such different answers?", I explained that I have not been in a social situation with one of my references where drinking would take place, while the weekend earlier my family invited the other reference over for my mother's birthday party at which I drank 2 beers over 5 hours. He proceeded to ask me when my "last DUI" was. I told him I'd never had one, he then asked the last time I was arrested for disorderly conduct while intoxicated was. Again I told him I've never been arrested before. Finally he asks me the date of the last time was intoxicated was, I explained I've never been intoxicated in my life. After a long pause he told me I'd be getting a call shortly to pick them up. It was a bit strange because I had only heard good things about the chief (he was appointed fairly recently), but he was less than courteous. It was frustrating because I knew I had to play this game and ride it out to get the FID/HPP. :icon_neutral: