Ray Ray

Ray Ray's Zombie Apocolypse thread

Agreed, NJ609. Most of the people in any community (with exceptions to places that have a history of disasters, the Gulf regions for example) are not prepared to face disaster of any kind. In suburbia, I think groups of people/families would be fine for the first week or two... maybe even the first month (depending on the season and how much they take advantage of places like Costco and Sams Club). Even then many people don't understand the concept of rationing, and by the time they adjust, they might have depleted their resources. So, I would almost put money on it that they would become looters... and well, simply put, looting is bad (I've seen some pictures of "law and order" in Haiti trying to rein in the looters... none of it NSFW, nor do I want to link any of it).

My family has some space, and fortunately my grandmother keeps a garden (and has been teaching me some tricks). Given if SHTF, and it were the right season, I'd probably have to post security so it wouldn't get ransacked... otherwise, I'll just hop into the car, load up on all the B's I can find, and be on my way to Tim's!

That's one of the big concerns I have with where I am in NJ... the population density and my proximity to some rather undesirable areas. I'm somewhat equidistant between Newark and Paterson, and even tho someone would have to go out of their way to get to my neighborhood, we're close enough to rt. 3 and the GSP, that it's not much of a stretch that given an extended period of unrest, people may start to venture to this area. Aside from that, the lot sizes are small here. Considerably less than a 1/4 acre. Even tho most of the people I've met in the neighborhood seem nice enough, that all goes out the window when they haven't eaten for a week. So, while the current plan may be to "bug in", realistically, that's a 3-5 week plan, and then it's time to reassess.

Thanks Pete...I am familiar with what a zombie is.

I guess my question is are you guys truly afraid of the undead and think they are coming? :?

OR are you simply referring to gangs or predators (the alive human kind) that may cause riots and whatnot.

:text-blondmoment:

Zombies are a good fantasy and a delicate way of talking about SHTF situations. We're screwed because of population density in most of NJ if there are fast zombies. Slow zombies you can hunker down for a few weeks if you think you can wait it out. This is a good read to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Zombie_Survival_Guide

The biggest problem with SHTF situtations is that the looters will be everywhere. its going to be next to impossibl to defend yourself in any suburb and desperate people will do desperate things. I would love to get a group of 5 heavily armed men and their families out to Mid-Northern PA and hunker down until it has blown over. Farm in the summer, grow extra corn etc and preserve it for winter and hunt A LOT. I have no doubt I could last years as long as I wasnt stuck building my shelter in the middle of winter.

Chad, like BCEagle said, its definitely a reference to all SHTF situations... zombies is just a delicate and encompassing way of describing the "evil" out there ;) Though, as tech and medical progresses, I think the possibility definitely increases for something like actual zombies to happen (plus the fact that the next major terrorist attack in the US will probably be a bio/chemical attack).

As for my ultimate plan, I have a buddy in the Mid-west who lives with his father on their family farm in a pretty desolate area. However, unless I can get someone to fly me out there, I don't see myself trekking across the whole nation and arriving in one piece.

Can someone 'splain please.

To me, it's pretty simple. Talking about SHTF, or having plans, etc...

It's just the calm, and non paranoid acceptance that no civilization has ever lasted forever, and when SHTF and the government falls apart, VBT's occur (Very Bad Things).

You are on your own with no rule of law to protect you or your family. Just look at the LA riots, Katrina, etc. It happens right here, right now, in the most advanced nation the Earth has ever seen....

Do I lose sleep over it? Do I panic when thinking about it? NO. But it *could* happen. By ignoring the problem you doom yourself and your family. But admitting it is unlikely but possible and having "a few things" on hand just in case. Hea, that AR becomes cheap insurance....

I do think the flip side is that you can go to far and become obsessed and waste your life worrying about it. Enjoy the now, hope to god nothing bad ever happens, but be sure that you are mindful of things that give your family a fighting chance if SHTF. That's all. :)

OK, thanks guys,.....that makes complete sense.

For a brief moment I thought you were actually talking about REAL zombies (with the movie references).

I have discussed this topic with my father in law MANY times. I'm on the same page as you guys, prepared but not paranoid as it most certainly can and more than likely will eventually happen. I have several BOB (bug out bags) with everything I could think of even collapsible fishing poles with those salmon egg bait jars :) . If things go from bad to worse, we will head to the Catskill mountains and hold up there. It is quite desolate and pretty high up in the mountains. I have survival equipment ready to go up there, as well as a big enough generator that will power everything. I originally got that because the power does go out frequently there and it does get cold, so I need the heat to stay warm so the pipes don't freeze. It is tied into the main breaker so it automatically kicks on when the power goes out, as well as starting once a month for an hour for routine 'run time'.

My father in law is a avid hunter, he will eat just about anything. He makes his own bows from trees, and makes his own arrowheads from flint by a process called flint knapping. He has taken many deer with his homemade stuff. He reloads his own ammo, has plenty of it buried in different locations scattered around his property, which just about everyone in Missouri does.

He has been investing in gold and silver coins, bars etc. because he believes the ol' mighty dollar will be worth nothing if the SHTF bad enough. I can't disagree.

My plan is for everyone to come here and bring all the food they have stockpiled. They are also requested to bring more guns/ammo. The plan is to hunker down and setup a perimeter, however if that's not working we will pack up and convey to remote places.

I should've known that's what you were asking, Chad - DOH :)

But yeah, like everyone else said, it's more about dealing with the "what if's" of a SHTF moment - the zombies are just a fun way to go about planning for what may be a serious situation. i.e. if you're prepared for zombies, you're prepared for anything.

I think I've mentioned it here before... but for those of you with "safehouses" (either dedicated or family in another state) greater than walking distance away, you'll most likely make a yummy corpse to a zombie.

You think traffic is bad on 78 or 80 westbound regularly, imagine what it would be like in a situation where millions want out of NJ. Think back roads are better? When have they ever been better in rush hour? So unless you're already at your SH before the SHTF, it's probably useless to you.

For those of us who don't have SHs... where are you going to go when you bug out? A FEMA camp? As I mentioned before, with traffic and all, you won't get very far, so you're best bet is to keep ductape, plastic sheets, nails, hammer, and a bunch of 2x4s around. Oh, and enough food to last you about 2 weeks minimum. Hopefully by then, the situation will be resolved, or everyone will be dead enough where you can ransack your neighbors' homes and whats left of the local food marts. Depends on fast zombies or slow zombies.

Depends on fast zombies or slow zombies.

Anyone who gives this serious thought agrees that a "fast threat" means you are pretty much 100% (*#@$#@ed and won't survive. :lol:

You are right about traffic. I always figured hunker down till the initial wave of S passes then accept that we need to pick a place to go. Likely on foot. In small steps meaning you find a great place to hold up for the night 5 miles away from your starting point, well you do so. Better safe than dead.

IF the S really HTF, how long will the fuel supply last (gasoline in particular)? That's one of the great consumables that bothers me the most.

You can have a generator/4x4/whatever all you want, if you have no gas for it, it's as useful as a boat anchor.

Even if your gennie is nat gas - what's to say that the utils will continue pumping? I may need to look into solar/wind, at least it's consistent and renewable. Been thinking about a wood stove too.

No safehouse here, so that's why the initial plan is to "bug in"... hang out for a few weeks.. and then decide if it's time to hump it out. If things have died down a little bit, MAYBE we can drive somewhere else IF we have gas. More than likely tho, we'd have to go on foot.

As for fast vs. slow. I don't even wanna think about fast zombies! :lol:

Depends on fast zombies or slow zombies.

Anyone who gives this serious thought agrees that a "fast threat" means you are pretty much 100% (*#@$#@ed and won't survive. :lol:

You are right about traffic. I always figured hunker down till the initial wave of S passes then accept that we need to pick a place to go. Likely on foot. In small steps meaning you find a great place to hold up for the night 5 miles away from your starting point, well you do so. Better safe than dead.

Fast zombies means you need to use a shotgun. One shot to knock em down or slow em down, and another to finish the job. Slow zombies means you can use your fancy tacticool AR-15 with RDS sighted to 25 yards and below. Go for headshots, go for them often.

As for going anywhere... figure you'll be hunkering down for 2 weeks before moving. This will be enough time for future refugees to bug out or die, and enough time for ill-prepared homesteaders to be eaten.

Also, 2 weeks should be long enough for the zombie hoard to follow the refugees to their FEMA camps to eat them. :twisted:

No safehouse here, so that's why the initial plan is to "bug in"... hang out for a few weeks.. and then decide if it's time to hump it out. If things have died down a little bit, MAYBE we can drive somewhere else IF we have gas. More than likely tho, we'd have to go on foot.

As for fast vs. slow. I don't even wanna think about fast zombies! :lol:

Why go anywhere? Be sure to be stocked up on booze, bandages, beans, and bullets, and sit back and relax. After the zombies have settled in, you can begin focusing on long-term survival.

Think about it, you know so much about the area you live in, it's your home field advantage. Why give that up right away?

Been thinking about a wood stove too.

Modern wood burning stoves are fantastic. Even "non SHTF'ers" are using them now for affordable, safe and HOT heat. My uncle has one and it keeps his house warm to the point where the heat turns on less than half as much as it used to. Awesome stuff!

Why go anywhere? Be sure to be stocked up on booze, bandages, beans, and bullets, and sit back and relax. After the zombies have settled in, you can begin focusing on long-term survival.

Think about it, you know so much about the area you live in, it's your home field advantage. Why give that up right away?

Don't know if I definitely would go somewhere else. But, realistically, given where I live, I would never be able to store enough B's to last indefinitely. 3 months worth, maybe. Water, in particular, is difficult to store in any decent quantities. I can install rain catches and all that good stuff, but, then I'm depending on mother nature to do her thing consistently. I'm not close enough to any bodies of water that would allow me to walk a short distance to refill.

But, you are right - if we don't have to leave, we definitely don't want to or plan to.

2 weeks isnt enough for food, you need a month. A true zombie outbreak would mean you arent going to be able to loot shoprite, just neighbors homes. The infected will increase exponentially.

You need to be able to hold up long enough so that authorities can restore order, even then be careful for straglers.

One thing everyone has missed is water. Hopefully pumping station will be operational but you really need a back up plan.

And avoid hospitals, camps etc. One person gets infected everyone dies. Small to medium groups where everyone contibutes and no one free loads there is no other option.

I think the biggest difficulty is having to decide up front that if anyone in the group gets infected, then they have to be "taken care of" ASAP.

Man that's some brutal s**t.....

This is why the zombie analogy is so apt though. It really is a "silly" way to discuss some VERY serious possibilities that nobody in their right mind wants to ever deal with.

2 weeks isnt enough for food, you need a month. A true zombie outbreak would mean you arent going to be able to loot shoprite, just neighbors homes. The infected will increase exponentially.

You need to be able to hold up long enough so that authorities can restore order, even then be careful for straglers.

One thing everyone has missed is water. Hopefully pumping station will be operational but you really need a back up plan.

And avoid hospitals, camps etc. One person gets infected everyone dies. Small to medium groups where everyone contibutes and no one free loads there is no other option.

2 weeks is the minimum. But in a zombie outbreak, 2 weeks vs. a month, you're going to have to get out into the world and scavenge. Eventually you run out.

2 words..... "I'm In!!!!"

Bergen County Zombie Brigade stars here!!!

I'm a member of zombiehunter.org as well as some other sites. In all seriousness though, my wife and I are low-med grade "preppers". I got certified for CERT last Dec and my wife just passed her state exam to become an EMT. We've been stocking up on food/water/"stuff" for a while. We've got away's to go yet, but we're in much better shape than the majority in the area.

As for a SHTF scenario, I'm only 10 minutes west of the GWB by car. If something "big" were to happen in NYC, I'm probably toast. I'm starting to work w/ some folks on my block to "prepare" for emergencies. Since I don't have a bug out location in the Adirondacks (may have to check w/ Chad to see if he needs another gunner :lol: ), I figure the best defense will be some kind of organized community support. Not ideal, but better than nothing. The hard part is getting folks on the block to start stocking up on food and what not, "just in case". I believe FEMA suggest keeping food/water supplies on hand for 3 days. Not nearly enough. Just heard last week that they are now thinking about recommending 3 months. I'm trying for 6 months or better.

I will try this again.

Count me in on the Southern NJZDF

I think I could help hold off the southern flank for awhile. I would spread the arms amongst unaffected friends and family.

AK47

Garand

Moss500

Beretta 303

Browning A5

G20

G19... when I pick it up

FNP45USG

SW 19

SW15

GSG5 for the little zombies.

Sitting on 5000rds of different stuff.

I have little spot picked out with a 30' high by mile long block wall behind me and a wide, deep creek 50 yards in front. 15' Fences at both ends that admittedly would need reinforcement.

I have some real life disaster survival traning and education, I work for FEMA in the Response Division. I think I could put up a good safety zone area. My plan would be to hunker down, build up the fortification. Send large armed scouting/scrounging parties out while awaiting issue resolution. I have supplies for a month for my family, could probably scrounge 2-4 weeks food for 25 more people. Fresh water will be an issue at a gallon a day per person, but it rains often enough in this area to use roof catches and cistern.

**** By the way we (FEMA) recomend at least two weeks supplies for all family members. You would be surpised at how easy this is too achieve, 2400 calories a day is max. 1 MRE is about 2400 so could get by on cases of MREs. You can do cases of soup, crackers, freeze dried foods, canned food etc real easily. Water is a gallon per person per day. Water should be in plastic jugs and has a two year shelf life in an unopened jug. Five gallon jugs are optimal. Need 14 for a family of 5. Remember to fill all containers, (pots, coolers, bathtub etc) with water once SHTF to save your bottled supply.

Unless you live right up against a large supply store (Target etc) expect to have to fight in. If your there first, expect to have to fight out. I think there will be areas across the US that will have a community like attititude to a SHTF scenario.... I am not thinking NJ will be one of them, to many people here out for themselves and only themselves. I would have very few "friends" if something did happen.

Now, I would be willing to host a SNJZDF meet at Square Circle Circle one day one the tundra thaws here.

BCEagle said what I was going to say... I think the most important resource is water. I don't mind humping a couple hundred miles if need be, or making some fire using what I have on hand. But water? Like Pete said, if you're depending on nature, that's probably when it'll fail you! Haha.

In any situation... if you're home, first thing you should do when you realize SHTF is to fill up any container with water. Cups, tupperware, canteens, bowls, sinks, bathtubs, etc. Unless you have a dedicated source (like a well), I think its the first utility that will be missed. If you're at the office or whatnot, fill up a used water bottle or something like a Nalgene if you have one-- and then start figuring out what to do. There's a reason why the Army (and I'm sure the other services) train you to drink at least 8 quarts a day during Basic.

I'm pretty sure it was rauchman, or someone, that introduced me to zombiehunters.org... absolutely freaking great site, for both novelty reasons, gun pron, and good prepping info. I recommend it highly. As for Ray Ray's topic that's grown into a multi-paged monster, this may be the best topic so far on NJGF, haha.

As for what I would do if SHTF... I would bug-in first, assess, and, if need be, get in contact with a group of like-minded people... honestly, being in NJ, if something were to happen at any scale (zombies, natural disaster, Red Dawn-invasion, etc) I'm pretty sure we'd be screwed, haha

If SHTF, groups like us may find that years of apathy and the public being scared of firearms put us at a distinct advantage. More zombie bait than in a real "American" state like PA where gun ownership is a higher %!

Flip side of that is less people to fight the zombies though, which is probably overall a big fat NEGATIVE against us. Stupid NJ!

How long do you think it would take me to get a pistol permit once the SHTF by the way? :mrgreen:

NJ609....

I look at as my apathetic neighbors, by their own nature, will help create well fed zombies, and well fed zombies are slower, enabling better efficiency at head shots. Creating more food hopefully.