Sign in to follow this  
Matt

I understand that transportation of hollow point ammo is

restricted and similar to that of guns here in NJ (in that you arent supposed to make any side trips, etc.) but are there any similar such laws for NON hollow point ammo? In other words, could I go buy a box of non hp ammo and leave it in my car for a week before taking it home?

restricted and similar to that of guns here in NJ (in that you arent supposed to make any side trips, etc.) but are there any similar such laws for NON hollow point ammo? In other words, could I go buy a box of non hp ammo and leave it in my car for a week before taking it home?

Although it is probably not the best practice, I don't think there are laws specifically banning it. I would think any laws that come from it would be liability on your part. (ie, something along the lines of endangerment if a child got a hold of it.)

Might as well leave the gun in the trunk is the same thing, if you bought your ammo and you get stopped by police you can show your receipt that probe you just bought the ammo. I believe its illegal keeping the ammo in the trunk. I may be wrong.

Last time there was a Hollow Point thread I got the Pelosi knocked out of me on this forum. I don't even know if the LEO guys on the list even know what the law is or more so how to interpret it or enforce it. I don't understand it.

I'll just tell you this...If you are arrested (right or wrong) and you have a anti-gun prosectutor he'll get you for something. You may beat it but it's going to cost you.

Per the GCA, ammo must be in the trunk or locked case, just like firearms. I don't think there is a NJ law that precludes you from riding around with it, just like a long gun in the trunk with your yellow card on you.

• Like 1

Here's a more practical question: do you want to become the test case?

From a realistic point of view (and Nappen even says this), when charged with weapons offenses, you are guilty until proven innocent. All weapons possession is banned, and you are only legally doing so if you fall within an exemption (which the courts narrowly construe). It is up to you to prove in court that you were within those exemptions. Do you think you can convince a judge that it's perfectly legal to drive around with ammunition in your trunk?

Police can arrest you if you have a hollow point bullet for a keychain (the statute does not specifically require it to be a live round or even an entire cartridge). Do you really want to take the chance with a few boxes of live ammo in your car?

Per the GCA, ammo must be in the trunk or locked case, just like firearms. I don't think there is a NJ law that precludes you from riding around with it, just like a long gun in the trunk with your yellow card on you.

is this some type of hunting reference? meaning that the rifle must be reasonable to hunt with? any more information on this would be interesting..

is this some type of hunting reference? meaning that the rifle must be reasonable to hunt with? any more information on this would be interesting..
??? To what do you refer?
  • Like 1

??? To what do you refer?

"long gun in trunk with yellow card on you"

2C:39-5c(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
No other exemption needed.
  • Like 1

2C:39-5c(1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
No other exemption needed.

what about the whole transporting in the trunk locked only to the range blah blah blah...

oh yeah and charge me soon so i can adjust my monthly budget! lol ;)

Police can arrest you if you have a hollow point bullet for a key chain (the statute does not specifically require it to be a live round or even an entire cartridge

That is a far fetched interpretation of the law. As it has never happened in the many years the law has been in existence, I would doubt you would ever see such an arrest.

You theory does not fit the definition of the laws as written. HP AMMO is the subject of the statute. As Per Title 13, the definition of such an object is:

"Ammunition" means various projectiles, including bullets, missiles, slugs or balls together with fuses, propelling charges and primers that may be fired, ejected, projected, released, or emitted from firearms or weapons.

a friend of mine told me a story about this .him and his buddy went to rays for the day [several years ago] they had one box of hollow points left decided to go home along the way they got stopped and sherlock holmes finds the box arrests the driver .even after he explains that anyone can buy and use these. the cop tells him that they are only for leos.tells them since he is such a nice guy he will allow my friend to drive car away.$3000 later and a day in court he wins

what about the whole transporting in the trunk locked only to the range blah blah blah...
That is an exemption for NOT possessing a card.

so i could technically of course.. drive around with my shotgun and ammunition separate.. and cased.. and be in no violation of the law..

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

Firearms Information - Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen NJSP Badge

spacer

Related Links

linkFirearms Information

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."

N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;

2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;

3.A person going directly to a target range, and;

4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." N.J.S.A 2C:39-6g.

If the sportsman's club member plans to hunt with a rifle and use hollow nose ammunition in a state where this is permitted, he must comply with the provisions of U.S.C.A. 926A and N.J.S.A 2C:39-6(f) and (6)(g), which is consistent with the federal law, in transporting the firearm and ammunition. The firearm should be unloaded and neither the firearm nor the ammunition should be readily accessible from the passenger compartment. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the firearm and the ammunition should be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or the console. 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.

In addition, the sportsman should have a valid hunting license in his possession from the state in which he plans to hunt and should be familiar with that state's gun laws. N.J.S.A 2C:39-6(f)(2) requires a person hunting in this State to have a valid hunting license in his possession while traveling to or from the hunting area. Hunting with hollow nose ammunition is permitted in New Jersey. In the case of a New Jersey resident traveling to another state to hunt, it logically would follow that the hunting license would be from the state where the hunter is going. Although the federal statute does not require possession of a hunting license, it does require that the person transporting the firearm be going to a state where possession of that object is lawful. A valid hunting license from that state effectively supplies the proof.

These conditions for use and transport of hollow nose ammunition are consistent with the legislative intent to restrict the use of such ammunition to a limited number of people. It is well established that in construing a statute exceptions are to be "strictly but reasonably construed, consistent with the manifest reason and purpose of the law." Service Armament Co. v. Hyland, 70 N.J. 550, 558-559 (1976). The State Supreme Court has "characterized the Gun Control Law as 'highly purposed and conscientiously designed toward preventing criminal and other unfit elements from acquiring firearms while enabling the fit elements of society to obtain them with minimal burdens.'" Id. at 559.