Sign in to follow this  
Wolfy

Gun explodes CJRPC

Hm, I wonder what the cameras will show. I am certain its captured and probably turned over to the cops/lawyers by now.I just hope they don't decide to require an RO there at all times, I like being able to go there late nite. Whatever it is, I hope he's alright. I am sure there wil be something in the newsletter or email about it, once the dust settles.

assuming that may be reloaded ammo.

That would be my first thought. Even a bullet lodged in the barrel doesn't necessarily cause a handgun to explode. In fact, it probably would budge the barrel and not much more. We have a barrel we use as a visual aid in our Basic Pistol classes showing that type of event.

The article seems a bit confusing and seems to be written by someone with limited knowledge on the subject. At least they provided a detailed model number which seemed odd.

Possibly a double charge but there are those who feel that extremely light loads can cause high pressure. Using the preferred slow handgun powder, a double charge is unlikely. A fast burning powder in a large case such as the 44 Mag. could allow a double charge but not the best of powders to use.

A squib would bulge the barrel before it would destroy the cylinder although the article isn't specific about the actual damage.

A while back a test was done on a popular firearm's TV show using a S&W 686 and firing more then one round into a blocked barrel. I was amazed at how little damage was actually done.

But more information is needed before an explanation is possible.

to answer the first comment on that page here is a news story...

last sunday I cut a piece of my thumb off with a butter knife splitting frozen burgers apart.. anyone wanna get the news down here to report...